v21 Sound issues with Non-Flatpak install and Pipewire on Arch
This is for the binary version. Not the Flatpak.

Whenever I run Kodi, I get the following error: 'this->recurse > 0' failed at ../pipewire/src/pipewire/thread-loop.c:63 do_unlock()

The sound is choppy and sometimes cuts out completely. This happens when using the laptop's sound card, wired headphones, Bluetooth headphones no matter the codec used, in X11, and in Wayland. This issue happens when Kodi tries to use Pipwire by default. I was able to run Kodi without sound issues by using the --audio-backend=pulseaudio option.

Kodi Build: 21.0
Git: 2404-nogitfound
Installed from the Arch Repositories

System Specs

Kodi Log

If any further information is required, please let me know. I will do I best to provide it.

Thank you
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Could you please post a log where you play something?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2024-04-17, 20:19)fritsch Wrote: Could you please post a log where you play something?

I am sorry. I thought I had.

Here is the log with Quietus by Epica playing with the audio errors present. This log was generated while using Kodi 21 with the default pipewire output for audio.

nelesinoyi.kodi (paste)

Here is the same file being played using the start up argument, --audio-backend=pulseaudio. There are no audio errors during playback. The audio is using pulseaudio for output and the system is using pipewire-pulse as a translation layer.

tawepeguhi.kodi (paste)

I hope this all makes sense and helps.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche
The delay reporting for pipe wire is completely off. Audio only is working right? (Music without video?) And menu sounds should be good as well?

So I could explain it for the BT device but as you said it happens for all the devices as well.

Please use pulse audio for now I might have a pipe wire setup end of month.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2024-04-18, 11:32)fritsch Wrote: The delay reporting for pipe wire is completely off. Audio only is working right? (Music without video?) And menu sounds should be good as well?

The video is displaying, but it is not smooth. The audio is playing back, but it has crackles and pops like an old LP or a radio station that is not completely tuned in, and it is out of sync with the video. The menu sounds are there, but it has that crackle quality as well. The error is also present with audio files as well.

At first I thought the issue was due to the BT headphones I was using. When the problem was still there with a second set of BT headphones, I decided to test the other options for sound that I had on my system.

Thank you for looking into this, and I will continue to use pulseaudio for now. I look forward to trying out the new version when it is ready.
I will simply change the default back to pulseaudio for now. While we did not see an issue at all with our pipewire testing, it seems it breaks many user's out of the box experience.
See: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/25019
(2024-04-18, 19:02)fritsch Wrote: I will simply change the default back to pulseaudio for now. While we did not see an issue at all with our pipewire testing, it seems it breaks many user's out of the box experience.

Good to know. Thank you for letting me know. I will pass on the information.

Thank you for your time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound issues with Non-Flatpak install and Pipewire on Arch0