Boot Process (USB Stick) takes more than 3 Minutes?
Hey there,
at first really really nice work! XBMC Live is the best development since XBMC for xbox.

i followed every update and featurefreeze since 2003, hopefully the next 10 years on Wink

these days i have a question. the boot process of xbmc live on a 2GB usb stick takes about 3 minutes. Is it normal? is there a possibility to speed it up?
hm haven't timed it but 3min seems long.. from what moment did you time? the moment you press the powerbutton or when you are out of the bios and it 'starts'.?

more info please... system specs, sort of usb stick (usb 1.0, brand, speed etc...)
ill stop the time but not yet. im at work Wink

my system at home:
Shuttle SP35 P2 Pro, Core 2 Quad Q9300, 2 GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS, Buffalo FireStix 2GB USB2.0 Stick
Update:
I just tried another stick (LG 4GB) with maximum cache enabled on a thinkpad notebook with X3100 Shared GFX.

The boot process took only about 20 second. GREAT! i take this stick and will test again on my home computer.

laters!
I have tested PCs where boot finishes in 25 seconds, and others taking looong time - minutes - just to load the kernel and initrd...
It really depends on the flash disk and the USB controller.
AFAIK, some USB controllers only run at USB1.1 until a driver is loaded even though they are rated as USB2.0 devices. So during boot a device of this nature would be painfully slow. If have more than one USB controller on your computer you may want to try the others.
evening guys.

here's my feedback. i tested the boot sequence again with the same usb stick. the boot process took about 3 mins again. strange. one change - i had to select geforce GFX instead of intel.

althekiller maybe youre sometimes right but not in my case. i have shuttle sp35p2 miniPC with a intel P35 chipset and state of the art hardware. f.i. i can switch from usb1 to usb2 through bios options.

maybe this topic should moved to bug tracking? if i can help further somehow please tell.

i like to boot into xbmc in about 25secs Smile
Just because you can set the max rate in the bios does not mean you get that rate all the time. Try installing something else on the stick and booting from it.
agree with above posters. usb speed depends on your usb hardware controller and also on the type of usb pen and filesystem.

I know usb booting cause i have been using it on many different computers and with very different boot programs and filesystems.
At work i use a dedicated pci card with a true usb 2.0 hardware and also load drivers for the card. This way you get the best speed available. a usb 2.0 pci card is cheap todays.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live_sp...MC_Live.3F
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
no lucky answers for me. ;(

having the latest pcc hardware and usb sticks its still strange, that it doesnt boot as fast as tested on the lenovo thinkpad r61.

i'll wait and hope to get this point working for me.

one more info from me:
when the system boots from usb
1. the orange beam flushes left to right (bout 5 secs)
2. it goes from left to right, stopping after 5 secs at ca. 10% and nothing happens for abpout 2-3 mins
3. then everything goeas very fast and xbmc comes up.

no bugs, no lags, xbmc works perfect.
can you boot typing "safe" instead of 1 2 3 0 and look where it pauses so much?
DHCP timeout on wifi perhaps? Did you set a more sane timeout than the normal 60-120s l.capriotti?
@althekiller:
actually it has come out with the Ubuntu default settings.

@ringgh0st:
A quick test will help: disable wifi with the switch (hopefully there would be one) and measure the boot time.
l.capriotti Wrote:@althekiller:
actually it has come out with the Ubuntu default settings.

@ringgh0st:
A quick test will help: disable wifi with the switch (hopefully there would be one) and measure the boot time.

Thanx for the tipps capriotti but i do not have any WLAN @ my Shuttle XPC Barebone Wink i cannot disable.

Anyways i will try the "safe" thing tonight.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boot Process (USB Stick) takes more than 3 Minutes?1