Kodi Notifications System - Breaking Changes, Announcements and Security Alerts
After a few of my managed Kodi instances updated to Omega automatically, I was dismayed to see the stock Amber skin hadn't been updated and was broken which meant every instance reverted to the default Estuary Skin causing much panic and confusion. As to fix this, I've had to physically copy over a new compatible addon ZIP, this has been a major headache and prompted me to wonder why Team Kodi doesn't do important notifications in Kodi directly. I'm hoping my posts will be moved here from the thread where this started shortly.
(2024-04-27, 19:50)Morphy99 Wrote: prompted me to wonder why Team Kodi doesn't do important notifications in Kodi directly
With over 1,000 addons in the repo, how will you react if you receive a never-ending stream of notifications.
What are important notifications? Who decides? What is important to you, the next person could not care less.
Who will compile that data and update Kodi or an addon to display it?
It's a horrific workload for nothing.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Quote:What are important notifications?
Is this really a question you can't answer with a bit of common sense? A skin change is one, as it's like having a different system for an end user. How many skins are in the official repo? Not many. Major python changes another. Forum hacks is another or any other security related issue with Kodi core. I'm quite clearly not suggesting every addon is verified. Maybe you could introduce some kind of anonymous analytics gathering and target most popular addons for testing prior to every release cycle? 

Quote:Who will compile that data and update Kodi or an addon to display it?
It's a horrific workload for nothing.
Come on, Kodi can't parse web pages now?

Even if no information is given apart from a notification that a new Kodi release is imminent and to check compatibility, is better than what we currently have.
Somebody needs to set all this up and maintain from then. Any volunteers? 😉

BTW: for sure you know that Team Kodi is a group of volunteers, people are doing everything in their free time. Nobody can be „forced“ by anyone to do anything, even if something essential is broken/missing. No volunteer, no change. Calling something trivial is absolutely nothing that is kind of a metrics. That’s not how it works in this project.
[quote="Morphy99" pid='3194546' dateline='1714247343']
Quote:Even if no information is given apart from a notification that a new Kodi release is imminent and to check compatibility, is better than what we currently have.
That already does happen. Every Kodi install would have been notified of the release of v21 on the 6th April via the Version Check addon. We purposely held back the release of Play Store version to give time to people to check for compatibility issues, and to disable auto-update.
Also, if a skin is abandoned then users will have to get used to using a different one eventually. This is simply the price of the freedom Kodi gives users, the alternative would be to lock Kodi down to only use Team maintained addons.
(2024-04-28, 09:57)ksooo Wrote: Somebody needs to set all this up and maintain from then. Any volunteers? 😉

BTW: for sure you know that Team Kodi is a group of volunteers, people are doing everything in their free time. Nobody can be „forced“ by anyone to do anything, even if something essential is broken/missing. No volunteer, no change. Calling something trivial is absolutely nothing that is kind of a metrics. That’s not how it works in this project.

I'm not sure if you're just being patronising or misunderstanding me? First off, I'm well aware Kodi is maintained and developed by volunteers and I'm not sure at what point I was "forcing" anyone?? This is a feature request thread and I've put the idea out there for this feature, that's it. I consider it a very useful and important feature but it's clear that others disagree, which is fine. I still stand by my opinion that without a proper warning system of breaking changes and security issues this platform will suffer in popularity. neither have I said anything is trivial or won't take some work, I've just disagreed with people saying it's too much work or impossible. If I had the required skills and my personal circumstances allowed it, I would be happy to help with it. Unfortunately neither are the case.
Quote:That already does happen. Every Kodi install would have been notified of the release of v21 on the 6th April via the Version Check addon. 
I wasn't aware of this and I must have missed it. I was under the impression it only notified when there was a new version in the Play Store for Android. Still, adding some text to check compatibility with addons is worthwhile and simple?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Notifications System - Breaking Changes, Announcements and Security Alerts0