Managing movie sets \ versions \ extras
Kodi Omega 20.1 \ win10 \ Arctic Zephyr Reloaded skin

I have trouble figuring out how to manage my movie sets, versions, and extras.

1. Is there some way to have all the Movie Sets data (e.g. posters, nfo files) written to the Movie Set folder by Kodi? Right now, the only files there are those written by TinyMediaManager (though Kodi does seem to be able to use at least posters from there). But I want all the Sets available in Kodi present as folders\files in that folder.

2. I have installed the Extras addon in Kodi, created an Extras folder in one of my movies, updated the library just to be safe, but I do not see the "Extras" option in the context menu of that movie which as I understand should be there (also, that's a very unintuitive way to treat extras - a good way would be to have them accessible via the information screen for the movie, but apparently that would be too easy).

3. I've googled a lot but I do not see how to work with multiple versions of a movie. E.g. I have two files for a movie, residing in the movie's folder, one of them 4k extended cut and the other one HD Theatrical, second file has "HD" tacked onto the end of its filename. What do I have do to see them and to be able to use either of those in Kodi? I understand that the skin I'm using supports this feature, but again, apparently I'm missing something.

Thank you for your support!
If you have the time to answer the below questions on how this forum works as well, I'd greatly appreciate:

A. Only the moderator can mark the question as resolved?
B. Is there a way to edit own posts? E.g. If I have an update on the question?
C. Is there no form of virtual "thank you" that can be awarded to the person who has answered my questions? Some forums have those in form of a "repuation\karma" points.
Let see if I can help without making too many gotcha.

1) If you have designated a 'Movie Set folder' and use one of the Kodi scrapers that scans for sets, it should pick up the sets artwork and place it accordingly (I see you're using TMM so not sure if it does that). Set designation is set on first scrape, subsequent sets will be added with meta-data, but legacy sets will have to be re-scraped or you can manually add to that collection of sets.

2) Some skins offer the extras showing up in the information panel (this might be a skin issue). I have extras showing up in both my context menu and information screen and it's all there on first scrape. Add-on:Extras (wiki)

3) Versions is a fairly new feature to Kodi and I have yet to work out all the parms. Leave us to say when I scrape a movie, and it recognizes that I have another copy in the library, I get a request to add it as a version. Note I keep all movies in a folder of their own name, and in that conjoining one folder no longer shows up in my library but if the legacy copy has extras it will not be added (atm) but can be added manually through the skin. This feature is best explained by your skin author & the wiki  Video versions (wiki)

A. You can mark 'solve' in the subject line, when you have edit status.
B. You will get authority to edit soon. (anti-spam protection here)
C. You will get a 'Like' icon ability as a thank-you soon.
(2024-04-30, 02:48)SmithJohnSmith Wrote: 1. Is there some way to have all the Movie Sets data
I am not too clear on what you are asking, but ensure you have set up your MSIF... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_set_information_folder

(2024-04-30, 02:48)SmithJohnSmith Wrote: 2. I have installed the Extras addon in Kodi, created an Extras folder in one of my movies, updated the library just to be safe, but I do not see the "Extras" option in the context menu of that movie
Yea, it is a well guarded secret... You need to restart Kodi after installing any addon that adds a Context menu option.
Also the new Video Versions feature includes native handling of Extras. I am still in the process of writing the wiki, but it is the same process as Video Versions, except using the Extras button. You should be able to figure that out.
The advantage to this new method is that skinners have the freedom to add an extras available icon alerting you that the movie has Extras. That is not possible with the addon version of Extras.

(2024-04-30, 02:48)SmithJohnSmith Wrote: I've googled a lot but I do not see how to work with multiple versions of a movie
Switch back to the default skin Estuary and follow the directions in the link PatK gave you.
Unfortunately, we have somehow got into the situation where some skins have been updated to install on v21, but not adding the new features to the skin that v21 has introduced.
Arctic Zephyr Reloaded is one of those skins.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I was just coming to ask a similar question. I know about the Movie Set Folder option in Kodi, but is there a way to have Kodi read that info (and use the images) from the actual Movie Set, itself?
For example, my heirarchy is:

C:\The Matrix Collection   (This is where I'd like all the files, including Set Images) to be stored and read from
        The Matrix
             Files
        The Matrix Revolitions
             Files

Right now, there is a completely different folder holding all the folders for Movie Set info.
C:\Movie Sets
        The Matrix Collection  ( Matches the name of the folder where the actual Movie is stored, along with it's files-- NFO, Images, etc.)
             Only the Movie Set files: NFO, Images
(2024-04-30, 06:00)McCordRM Wrote: but is there a way to have Kodi read that info (and use the images) from the actual Movie Set, itself?
Unfortunately not. That method was removed when the new MSIF method was introduced. Movie Sets are now treated as a new class of media, like movies, tv shows and music. This makes it easier to expand movie set features in future.

(2024-04-30, 06:00)McCordRM Wrote: The Matrix Collection  ( Matches the name of the folder where the actual Movie is stored, along with it's files-- NFO, Images, etc.)
Needs to match the actual Collection/Set name displayed in Kodi.
There is a difference. For the purpose of the example, your folder is The Matrix Collection, but the Collection name in Kodi may be Matrix Collection. They don't match and Kodi will not find the folder.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Ah, damn. I was just setting up the new version of Tiny Media Manager and was curious which Artwork convention to go with. Guess it's Kodi/Artwork Beef Style (wtf?) as the only option.
(2024-04-30, 06:48)McCordRM Wrote: Guess it's Kodi/Artwork Beef Style (wtf?) as the only option.
As long as it lets you nominate where your MSIF is located.
My Signature
(2024-04-30, 03:37)PatK Wrote: 1) If you have designated a 'Movie Set folder' and use one of the Kodi scrapers that scans for sets, it should pick up the sets artwork and place it accordingly (I see you're using TMM so not sure if it does that). Set designation is set on first scrape, subsequent sets will be added with meta-data, but legacy sets will have to be re-scraped or you can manually add to that collection of sets.
I have nominated the MSIF in Kodi. I have also set in TMM. TMM does write stuff into this folder. But if I create a movie set there via TMM it does not appear in Kodi even if I do a library update in it. However, if the set names match, things like adding art into the folder externally via TMM\manually in windows let me choose said added art in Kodi.
However, the folder is not populated by the Sets that Kodi created automagically while scraping my video library. I would very much like to have them there as a set of folders and files so I could e.g. add artwork to them.

(2024-04-30, 03:37)PatK Wrote: 2) Some skins offer the extras showing up in the information panel (this might be a skin issue). I have extras showing up in both my context menu and information screen and it's all there on first scrape. Add-on:Extras (wiki)
Apparently Arctic Zephyr Reloaded is not one of those that show it in the info panel. It shows in the context menu, but then you have to know that there are any there to access them in the fist place, which is rarely the case.
Even so, it didn't work for me last time I tried - when I selected "Extras" in the context menu of the movie that 100% had those, it just did nothing. I tried it today (maybe reloading Kodi after installing the extras add-on helped), and now it opens the file browser with Extras, but it's empty in my test movie, where there's 100% an mkv file residing in that folder...
(2024-04-30, 03:37)PatK Wrote: 3) Versions is a fairly new feature to Kodi and I have yet to work out all the parms. Leave us to say when I scrape a movie, and it recognizes that I have another copy in the library, I get a request to add it as a version.
Note I keep all movies in a folder of their own name, and in that conjoining one folder no longer shows up in my library but if the legacy copy has extras it will not be added (atm) but can be added manually through the skin. This feature is best explained by your skin author & the wiki  Video versions (wiki)
My video library is also formatted as "One folder - One Movie". However, if there's multiple movie files in my folder, e.g.:
\\NAS\Video\Movies\The Gentlemen (2020)
The Gentlemen (2020).mkv
The.Gentlemen (2020) 720p.mkv

I do not get any requests to show them as versions.

Or is it supposed to be two movies in separate folders in the beginning, as exeplified below, and only then would Kodi ask me to join them on library update?
\\NAS\Video\Movies\The Gentlemen (2020) 720p

I'd think it would be more logical and user-friendly if Kodi recognized similarly named movie files residing in one folder with varying descriptors tacked at the end of their names as various versions when it scans the library...

PS many thanks for your detailed replies to all of my questions!
(2024-04-30, 04:55)Karellen Wrote:
(2024-04-30, 02:48)SmithJohnSmith Wrote: 1. Is there some way to have all the Movie Sets data
I am not too clear on what you are asking, but ensure you have set up your MSIF... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_set_information_folder
MSIF folder set in Settings. Problem is, Kodi clearly can use it - if I add say a poster to a movie set folder in it (which I created manually and which matches a movie set name as shown in Kodi), it becomes available for use in Kodi. But Kodi has scraped a whole lot of movie sets after it had processed my library, but none of those appear in the MSIF as respective folders and files.
Maybe there's some setting other that specifying the MSIF folder itself, forcing it to store the files there? Also, I have Artwork Beef add-on installed, could it be somehow interfering?

(2024-04-30, 04:55)Karellen Wrote:
(2024-04-30, 02:48)SmithJohnSmith Wrote: 2. I have installed the Extras addon in Kodi, created an Extras folder in one of my movies, updated the library just to be safe, but I do not see the "Extras" option in the context menu of that movie
Yea, it is a well guarded secret... You need to restart Kodi after installing any addon that adds a Context menu option.
Yes, after I tried it today (Kodi was relaunched) the extras context menu works, though the skin I have does not display them so I have to be aware of their presence to call up the context menu. It opens the Extras browser, but it does not show the files present in the folder for some reason. The files are definitely there though...
(2024-04-30, 04:55)Karellen Wrote: Also the new Video Versions feature includes native handling of Extras. I am still in the process of writing the wiki, but it is the same process as Video Versions, except using the Extras button. You should be able to figure that out.
The advantage to this new method is that skinners have the freedom to add an extras available icon alerting you that the movie has Extras. That is not possible with the addon version of Extras.
(2024-04-30, 02:48)SmithJohnSmith Wrote: I've googled a lot but I do not see how to work with multiple versions of a movie
Switch back to the default skin Estuary and follow the directions in the link PatK gave you.
Unfortunately, we have somehow got into the situation where some skins have been updated to install on v21, but not adding the new features to the skin that v21 has introduced.
Arctic Zephyr Reloaded is one of those skins.
Will try, thank you!
I think this PR, slated for Kodi 22, might solve your requirements for sets handling (but not for Kodi 20/21):

PR 24557
In particular it provides for a "set.nfo" file in the MSIF.

scott s.
(2024-04-30, 21:20)SmithJohnSmith Wrote: But Kodi has scraped a whole lot of movie sets after it had processed my library, but none of those appear in the MSIF as respective folders and files.
The MSIF is there for users that like to save their artwork locally and have Kodi use it. Artwork is saved by 3rd party programs like Artwork Dump or one of the many media managers, or you can manually save artwork there.
Kodi does not automatically save anything to the MSIF.
You would need to run an Export to separate files to have Kodi save artwork there. But the artwork Kodi exports is from the cache which is a modified and inferior version to the original. So it is always best to have the original artwork downloaded and saved.

If you want to save artwork after scraping, use Artwork Dump to download the original artwork that matches what is already in your library. There should be a setting there to "Not overwrite existing", so it only downloads the missing artwork.
My Signature
(2024-04-30, 21:07)SmithJohnSmith Wrote: My video library is also formatted as "One folder - One Movie". However, if there's multiple movie files in my folder, e.g.:
The Gentlemen (2020).mkv
The.Gentlemen (2020) 720p.mkv

I do not get any requests to show them as versions.

Or is it supposed to be two movies in separate folders in the beginning, as exeplified below, and only then would Kodi ask me to join them on library update?
\\NAS\Video\Movies\The Gentlemen (2020) 720p

I'd think it would be more logical and user-friendly if Kodi recognized similarly named movie files residing in one folder with varying descriptors tacked at the end of their names as various versions when it scans the library...

There is no naming convention for versions or interim recommendation yet. The folder structure 1 above works though.

You'll get asked if you want to create a version, as long as you have "Ignore different video versions on scan" disabled in settings.
For the example above (different resolution) you don't need to specify a different version name because the mediainfo is displayed before playback and lets you choose the correct one (depending on skin support though).

If the setting is enabled (ie ignore different video versions) then you'll have two entries in the library, which can be combined through the info dialog > versions, or through the manage context menu on either of the movies.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2024-04-30, 21:43)scott967 Wrote: I think this PR, slated for Kodi 22, might solve your requirements for sets handling (but not for Kodi 20/21):

PR 24557
In particular it provides for a "set.nfo" file in the MSIF.
Nice...

@SmithJohnSmith Suggest encouraging Arctic: Zephyr author to incorporate some of these latest features in the skin.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Managing movie sets \ versions \ extras0