Abyssmal performance with big files (beta1, XPSP3)
Hi again,

I want so much to use XBMC for all my media center needs, so I'm eagerly waiting for the final version... meanwhile, if I try to play an mkv file of about 1.4 GB, it takes a while to load and it seems to hang. After several seconds it starts playing fine. Note that these aren't HD files, but DVD rips.

HD files however, take forever to load, and XBMC does hang (or I'm not patient enough, after 5 minutes or so).

I *can* play 1080p movies just fine through MPC, so at least I know my PC is capable of that.

I have another PC, a quad-core xeon with 7gb of RAM and a Quadro FX 550 that stutters on 1080p videos (!), however that runs on Linux. I found that under Kaffeine, setting the ffmpeg_skip_loop_filter to all (or none, I can't recall) fixes this issue, and since XBMC uses ffmpeg I'm wondering if I can also make this change and see if that helps on the XP machine. If this is possible, how can I try it?

Thanks a lot!
you're going to have to post logs and system specs, and preferably samples of afflicted files if you want anything other than scorn from the devs.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Bug_Report

also worth noting, for now the windows build only uses a single thread for decoding so it won't make good use of multicore cpu's. thats not true of the linux builds and hopefully soon it'll be fixed on windows too. That said you shouldn't be seeing the kind of performance issues your describing with SD content.
Sorry about that, I don't have access to that PC right now but I wanted to see if I could try the approach I asked about when I go home (I don't have Internet there).

I'll take that HOW-TO home and I'll try to post more info tomorrow.

Thanks.

PS: I didn't know the linux build did take advantage of multi-cores... The reason I'm using Windows is only because MPC plays 1080p videos fine on XP... Now I'm excited and I'll try XBMC on Ubuntu soon!
XBMC Live is a good way to test it out without having to do a whole ubuntu install etc.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live
Debug log needed from XBMC.

kelque Wrote:I have another PC, a quad-core xeon with 7gb of RAM and a Quadro FX 550 that stutters on 1080p videos (!), however that runs on Linux. I found that under Kaffeine, setting the ffmpeg_skip_loop_filter to all (or none, I can't recall) fixes this issue, and since XBMC uses ffmpeg I'm wondering if I can also make this change and see if that helps on the XP machine. If this is possible, how can I try it?
Not currently possible, see feature request http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4943 please feel free to post about your success with Kaffeine and the ffmpeg_skip_loop_filter in that trac ticket, the more people requesting it the more likely someone will actually implement it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Abyssmal performance with big files (beta1, XPSP3)0