Full digital sound as well as stereo and mono playback on digital output
Smile 
Sup People! I wanted to contribute back to the community. I have a soundrc file I wish to share with you all incase it may be of help.

In Short: After I stopped with the svn xbmc and went to the PPA xbmc distribution for linux, I suddenly found none of my vids with ac3 encoded audio would playback any audio. But all other audio would. So I installed the digital out daughter board on my sound card (SPDIF). Great! Now I have ac3 playback but now have 2 channels on my reciever for xbmc. 1) Analog, 2) Digital. So I changed the default on Ubuntu in the MediaSelector to have iec958 (Digital/SPDIF) as the default output. I then changed my .asoundrc to "pcm.!default spdif". This worked except I noticed I had no mp3 playback!!! So I edited my .asoundrc to be like my original with upmixing/downmixing but to have spdif as default device (I shall attach this config as well as "OLD asoundrc"). Also this old config I think is like analog even though my amp detects digital.

Ok now I had all playback except the xbmc skin UI sounds! For F$%#!!! So today I started a new asoundrc config from other configs I downloaded ages ago! And finally SUCCESS!!!! I have playback of every sound event! I have the skin UI sounds (mono wav files I noticed). So we got mono playback on digital out. I got MP3 playback. So got Stereo playkback on digital out. I still have AC3 (Dolby PL II) plackback and the amp detects DD PL II. And I have DTS playback. Amp detects "Digital".

So I am so happy I want to share with you all. Also my config outputs 48K sample audio, but I think it could be easily changed to 44.1K if you needed to. Not sure there. And with this config the most one would need to do is change the device number on card 0 to what ever your system is for digital out. Use the aplay -l command to find your playback dev # on your soundcard dev #. For me its card 0, Dev 2. For some maybe Card 0, dev 1, or whatever.

Cheers!

Paul.

P.S The good current config is "TUXBMC Digital asoundrc"
Tho old config will have old in the file name.

Opps! Thought I could attached files to posts. Ok here are the links

http://www.4shared.com/file/64200355/214...undrc.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/64200359/28f...LDbak.html
I have a problem with digital output, It works but only mono sound is going out to receiver. In mplayer the same files are working good with full surround output through spdif.

Your links does not work, can you post them again? Maybe this will solve my problem?
Can you post the asoundrc file as code in here? I'm in the same situation as you and it be nice to get this solved. Thanks Smile
This is good stuff. Is this only for Linux?
Thanks
tdog17245 Wrote:This is good stuff. Is this only for Linux?
Thanks

No, ALSA and Ubuntu are working windows programs too. This was only accidentally posted in Linux specific sub-forum.

If anyone misses it: I'm being sarcastic and ironic Smile
Star 
Links don't work. Please fix and re-post links.
I have the problem with digital output not working for mono audio, hoping your rc file fixes this.

Thanks in advance.
Star 
I was having the same issue where DD and DTS would playback through SPDIF fine but AC3 and PCM audio were going out through the analog ports. In XBMC under Audio Hardware, the default output device was "default" and the digital output device was "iec958". I changed the default output device to "iec958" and now AC3 and PCM audio use the SPDIF port. I believe navigation sounds still did not work though.
Link is not working :-(
I googled this, and found a link on another website.
The new .asoundrc is
Code:
pcm.48k_best {
type rate
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
format S32_LE
rate 48000
}
converter "samplerate_best"
}

pcm.!xbmc_default {
type plug
slave {
pcm 48k_best
}
}

the old .asoundrc was:
Code:
pcm.!iec958 {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
format S32_LE
}
}

I tried this at home, and it works on OpenSuse 11.0 x64.
I'm not the author of this, so I take no credit (except that I know how to copy and paste).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Full digital sound as well as stereo and mono playback on digital output1