Feature Request - Alternate/Different Home Screen
Hello guys,

First off, I want to say MediaStream is amazing. It looks great and has become my default skin - the only skin to ever replace PM3 for me. There's never been a skin that both looked great and was practical to use for me - skins always seem to have some glaring omissions that render them unusable, hehe.

On that vein, Aeon's completely unusable for a few reasons but I absolutely love the way the home menu works. It's a very unintrusive bar with the options menus folding down instead of sideways. The reason this is great is because it takes up a bare minimum of the home screen when not in use.

One of the best features of these HD skins is the ability to display HD background images and fanart. Though MediaStream does a great job of showcasing the media in the many media views, the home menu does a very poor job of showcasing its media (the HD background images). The vertical menu must be very wide to accommodate the text, so it covers almost 1/3 of the background image at all times. A horizontal bar, though, showcasse the background much better for 2 reasons:

1) it is much thinner because it runs the same way as the text so there's no wasted space between menu items
2) because of the way images are composed in order to look good to us, losing 1/3 of the image horizontally (the bottom 1/3, for example) is nowhere near as distracting as losing 1/3 of it vertically (the left 1/3, for example). So the part of the image that a horizontal menu *does* cover is less important than the part of the image that a vertical menu does.

To show what I'm talking about, here are 2 screenshots:

With the left side of the image covered, much of the picture is lost. For all I know there was a boat in the water or a little girl throwing leaves in the river or something on the left side! By covering so much of the image with the menu the integrity of the media is really destroyed. This is especially noticeable when you look at many TV show backgrounds which have the cast standing in the picture, but half are missing hidden under the menu! In the Mario picture above, the light colored pillow thing (lol) would be covered and probably part of Mario's hat/head as well which would really wreck the picture IMO.

So my request is a modification to the home page to better showcase the beautiful HD backgrounds that are available to use with this skin. IMO there are 3 logical ways this could be done:

1) Add an alternate home menu or switch the home menu to an Aeon-style menu. A horizontal menu is simply a better option for showcasing HD backgrounds and making the home screen as attractive as possible.

2) Keep the vertical menu but add an auto-hide functionality. After 5 or 10 seconds with no change in the focus, the menu would slide to the left of the screen leaving only a small tab sticking out. Upon changing focus the menu would pop out again. This would look great when idle, but while scrolling through menus the images would annoyingly be cut off again.

3) Modify the vertical menu to not be so intrusive. This might mean making it see-through with dark text, or removing the black background completely and simply having some form of vertically scrolling text or something, I don't know. This would be a lot of work and require a whole re-imagining of the menu which seems like too much effort when there are other options available IMO.

Obviously I believe option 1 is the best solution. There's simply no denying that a horizontal menu showcases the background images much better than a vertical one. For a solution to be required, though, other people would have to agree there's a problem to be solved :0)

So before I get carried away, does anybody else miss the left 1/3 of their background images? Am I the only person who leaves XBMC cycling images on my home screen when it's not in use? Do enough people want a change that we can convince the devs to put some work into it? Hehe ;-P

I've thought about trying my hand at an Aeon/MediaStream mashup, shoehorning the Aeon home menu into the MediaStream skin, but having never skinned before it looks like it would be a HUGE project and I'm not even sure I'd be able to do it at all, so if I can convince the MediaStream devs to take up my cause then all the better!

Thanks for reading and I hope we can work towards make the best skin even better!
I agree, I love mediastream, but the home page side menu does chop alot of the fanart backgrounds.
Once we've got to v1.00 and have integrated all the things we initially hoped to get in there then we'll definitely revisit the home screen and see what we can do to accomodate all you fanart fanboys Laugh
I'm actually already on that but do not expect anything soon. just be patient. Smile
manturafs Wrote:I'm actually already on that but do not expect anything soon. just be patient. Smile

Wow your team is always one step ahead!

I actually like the current main menu. Maybe just make the black (behind the menu) to have an alpha/transparency change and voila! But I guess there's a lot to think about legibility of the menu text items.

I'll just leave it to the experts at Razorfish!

Cheers,

-Neo

HTPC: Windows XP SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 GHz, 2 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 3850, 1TB + 250 GB SATA Internal HDDs, External HDDs
Remote: Microsoft MCE2 USB Receiver and Remote, IR Server Suite

one thing I would hate, is for MediaStream to end up duplicating what is already done in a skin. I know my team well, and I would expect something nice to turn up that may not be a duplication!
MikeBeecham Wrote:one thing I would hate, is for MediaStream to end up duplicating what is already done in a skin. I know my team well, and I would expect something nice to turn up that may not be a duplication!

Well at the same time, though, it would be a shame to not improve part of a skin simply because somebody else did it already. Just because something good is done in one part of one skin doesn't help users one bit if the rest of that skin isn't any good... Aeon having a great home menu makes no difference to me because it's missing too many other features to be useful :0)
Ahhh but I never said that the team wouldn't improve it...I merely said that it would be a shame to just do something that had already been done. I think I said that something nice would be done, but just maybe not a duplication of another skin!
MikeBeecham Wrote:Ahhh but I never said that the team wouldn't improve it...I merely said that it would be a shame to just do something that had already been done. I think I said that something nice would be done, but just maybe not a duplication of another skin!

Yeah I guess I just meant there's no point being different just for the sake of being different. If they decide on the best way to do something and it turns out another skin already has done it like that, I think it's silly to do it a different way just to be unique.

Also kinda on topic, but do you guys have a goal for a 1.00 release date? I don't mean a specific day, but like... to the nearest 3 months or something? hehe
i think the home screen is what defines mediastream as a new idea... a technical work on genius that will possibly, and may already be, the best skin around... i do admit that the home screen doesn't show off backdrops as much as it should... but i reckon moving in the direction of pm3 (the most used and most stable skin) with a vertical menu is always a good direction to be heading in... fanart showing up on the one side of the main menu to a smaller extent (pm3's way) would make for an amazing home screen... like i say... a more blingy pm3 would have been too good to be true... guess what i say is coming true more and more every day...

don't lose the vision of what mediastream was originally meant to be... it's great the way it is... and it's only going to get better and better... one of these days, i may mod another skin... but i guess... mediastreams already to close to perfection... so keep doing a good job, and look forward to the day a newbie downloads xbmc and mediastream pops up on their first visit... keep the good work up!
There was a homescreen mod with a horizontal menu bar posted some time ago, which looks a lot better than the default one, taking only minimal space over the backdrop.
From what i understood, manturafs showed some interest to include this alternative homescreen as an option in a future release.
If that were about to happen, it would be totally awesome!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature Request - Alternate/Different Home Screen0