Setting Static IP without DHCP
I want to set up a static IP on my PC using XBMC Live. It won't let me, it greys out the options for any IP entering and I have disabled DHCP on my router as I have several PCs on my network.

Any ideas?
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php...light=dhcp
Eeek! Thanks for the link, I'm a complete linux newb, I take it I can edit these files if I boot into Ubuntu and stick the USB key in?
Are you running xbmc off of the usb drive?
If so then you just need to boot into xbmc, get to a console (alt+f1), login (not sure the uname+pass, search in live forum) and edit those files.
Argh - can't get a console! I know I'm thick. I can boot right into XBMC past the 'select graphics card screen'. I press Alt+f1 an no console.

Thanks for all help so far!! I realise I'm thick!
To get into the console it should be ctrl +alt + fn ,
user:xbmc
pass:xbmc
you need to edit using
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
it will be a little harder with a wireless router, to get back into xbmc , press ctrl +alt +f7

good luck
redwest Wrote:To get into the console it should be ctrl +alt + fn ,
user:xbmc
pass:xbmc
you need to edit using
it will be a little harder with a wireless router, to get back into xbmc , press ctrl +alt +f7

good luck

oops , ctrl +alt +fn , n =number 1 to 6
couldn't find option to edit
Right, I'm in!!

it was SHIFT + ALT + F1 to get to the console.

I'm there now and i can edit the IP settings, but can't set the DNS settings.

My Static IP is, for example, 192.168.1.100
My subway thing is 255.255.255.0
My gateway is 192.168.1.1

I can do all these using:

But how do I set the Primary and Seconday DNS

And to add, once I change these settings and restart, they do not show in XBMC. The IP settings are still greyed out and cannot be altered. And they are all set to 0.0.0.0

Really struggling now!
kashoggi Wrote:Right, I'm in!!

it was SHIFT + ALT + F1 to get to the console.

I'm there now and i can edit the IP settings, but can't set the DNS settings.

My Static IP is, for example, 192.168.1.100
My subway thing is 255.255.255.0
My gateway is 192.168.1.1

I can do all these using:

But how do I set the Primary and Seconday DNS

the setting for dns server are in /etc/resolv.conf

kashoggi Wrote:And to add, once I change these settings and restart, they do not show in XBMC. The IP settings are still greyed out and cannot be altered. And they are all set to 0.0.0.0

Really struggling now!

You can only save setting only in the XBMC live usb version. Unless you are not using sudo
I'm trying to manually set my dns too, because for some reason my XBMCLive does not pick up a dns server automatically when it gets the rest of its network config info from the DHCP server on my router.

I can't make any changes to the network in the xbmc gui (cause its all grayed out), and unfortunately, changing /etc/resolv.conf doesn't seem to have any effect on xbmc at all.

Is there something that I'm missing?
Aware that this is very old thread and question maybe outdated. But upon searching for information on how to set the DNS for XBMC Ubuntu, I was lead to this thread.

I have managed to fix my issue on my HTPC and decided to come back here and post solution if someone else is searching. I was connecting to home network fine but no internet access, so none of the addons were working. After trying a few things, turns out my DNS was not set on my static IP. From the control prompt, I added the DNS manually, the ones I got from my router status page. Now everything is back to normal.
This must take the record for thread necrophilia...

And this whole thread explains why dhcp is so useful Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting Static IP without DHCP0