XBMC & Boot Camp
Question 
I have a 2.4ghz macbook with 3gb of RAM and the good old Intel GMA950 video card.

Im dual booting Leopard & Vista x64 and I can't seem to get XBMC working on Vista through bootcamp, it crashes on startup, many of you may be aware of similar issues with games on boot camp because the GMA950 is a mediocre graphics card, usually the solution is dropping down direct x to 8 or 7.

Has anyone been able to get XBMC running through Boot Camp on similar hardware?
As far as I know, 64 bit Vista isn't supported.

Yet.

Don't give up hope.
I'm running Vista 64bit and XBMC works for me...
Arcanthur Wrote:I'm running Vista 64bit and XBMC works for me...

Did you have to change any settings or did it run straight off?

It runs fine on osx and my vista x64 pc, which leads me to believing its the graphics card. Have you got the same card Arcanthur??
XBMC runs on my mac mini with boot camped WinXP SP3 and on my Macbook pro with boot camped Vista 32Bit
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
There's no magic going on with BootCamp. All it does is enable a bios compatibility layer in the EFI boot. Once you are booting Windows (any flavor), it's just like you have booted from any other Intel hardware platform.

So now, if you are having problems with audio, video, etc, it's a windows driver issue. BootCamp does include the ability to create a CD with windows drivers for the Mac platform you have. Vista32/64 support will depend on those drivers existing and being installed.

So if you are having problems under Vista64, then you need to play the windows game of making sure you have the correct drivers for your hardware installed. Remember, once booting Windows, it's an intel platform just like any other windows box.
davilla Wrote:There's no magic going on with BootCamp. All it does is enable a bios compatibility layer in the EFI boot. Once you are booting Windows (any flavor), it's just like you have booted from any other Intel hardware platform.

So now, if you are having problems with audio, video, etc, it's a windows driver issue. BootCamp does include the ability to create a CD with windows drivers for the Mac platform you have. Vista32/64 support will depend on those drivers existing and being installed.

So if you are having problems under Vista64, then you need to play the windows game of making sure you have the correct drivers for your hardware installed. Remember, once booting Windows, it's an intel platform just like any other windows box.

Yeah, i have all the appropriate x64 drivers installed. I'll stick with MPC for video until i figure out a solution.
Problem solved. It turned out to be the driver Apple supplied with Boot Camp for the Graphics Card. I opened up Windows Update and downloaded the one Vista automatically found for the card and installed it, XBMC now starts, woot Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC & Boot Camp0