FanArt default directory/directories setting in the XBMC GUI (a standard is needed)?
Lightbulb 
I like to request XBMC looking at a define fanart directory for fanart pictures
something along a line in source.xml like

<fanart>d:\xbmc\userdata\fanarts</fanart>
+1 ...would be nice to have this unified default settings in the XBMC GUI for all skins.

Though I think that they should all default to the Userdata folder fanart scraped online is cached there, (then the end-user should be able to change that to a other location from the XBMC GUI via the settings menu).

/XBMC/userdata/fanart/adult/
/XBMC/userdata/fanart/emulators/
/XBMC/userdata/fanart/games/
/XBMC/userdata/fanart/music/
/XBMC/userdata/fanart/pictures/
/XBMC/userdata/fanart/videos/
/XBMC/userdata/fanart/weather/

PS! Trac the idea => http://trac.xbmc.org
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i'll third this idea. I've noticed my directories getting extremely cluttered by all the stuff for xbmc. This obviously isn't a problem if all you use to watch this stuff is xbmc, but i also use the computer to watch stuff, and when you have a movie, an nfo file, fanart, a trailer, and a .tbn icon, suddenly 60 movies takes up the space of 300, and things start getting confusing or at least tiresome on the eyes to navigate and look at. Optimally, I'd like to be able to put all that stuff in a separate directory so all you see are the movies in the original folder, though I don't know if this might affect performance negatively in any way.
1+ Awesome idea. Do we have a directory for Thumbnails? I'd like one for Thumbnails as well. I agree about these files cluttering the directory. It'd be great if it were possible to organize these better. Wink
Lightbulb 
I let xbmc handle all of my fanart via the built in scraper. On my xbox the folder that it saves them in is UserData/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart. The problem is that it puts both TV and movie fanart in the same folder. Most skins allow you to define a folder for fanart to cycle through when highlighting TV or Movies on the homescreen. Right now I get some crossover because xbmc saves all scraped video fanart to the one folder. Is there a way to tell xbmc to place scraped tv fanart in one folder and movie fanart in another? If the answer is I have to code it myself, thats fine but I'd appreciate a hint on where to look in the code. Cool
Not possible at this point. Actual fanart caching is done in CFileItem::GetCachedFanart() where GetMusicFanartFolder() and GetVideoFanartFolder() are used to determine the storage location. Hope it helps, happy coding Wink
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks for the hint. Hopefully It's not too difficult to get going.
Hey all. I found the location of the fanart;

C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails\Music\Fanart

but it is only broken out into Music or Video. There is no deliniation between Movies and TV unfortunately. But that's the path to navigate to to pull from the scraped fanart for things like multi-image backdrops for your menu etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FanArt default directory/directories setting in the XBMC GUI (a standard is needed)?0