Selling hardware bundled with XBMC?
davilla Wrote:Ask a lawyer if you don't know and are thinking about doing this as a company. Anything else would be silly.

Im so poor i cannot afford a lawyer. thats why i asked here. where can i find the license? cant seem to find it through google.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
lloydsmart Wrote:http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

i was asking about blu ray license. is that the blu ray license?
no.. that's not the blruray license. Of course buying a bluray won't allow you to do what you are asking to.. you can't rent or redistribute it. You could physically rent it if you do a videoclub (don't how you call it in the US) like blockbuster or similar.

But I bet you want to do something like netflix, streaming the movie to customers who paid for it. You'll need a lawyer, loads of money and something that will report huge profits to the studios.. forget it.

Also, I think in the US you aren't allowed to do any copies of the bluray, even if you own the disc. I think in the US it was even illegal to play a DVD using the computer?
lets say i own a shop. a barber shop for example. in the waiting room i screen bluray movies which are hosted on a file server. the bluray movie in the file server is copied (decrypt, remux) from original bluray disc.

to recap, i own the original disc, i make copies of it in my hdd, i screen the movie privately (only to my waiting customer). is this legal? if not why? i own the original disc. i didnt distribute. i didnt make money from it(didnt charge customer for viewing).
Ah, you COULD get in trouble for that publicENEMY, not necessarily because of the copying or breaking DRM, but because your playing it in a public area where members of the public could see it might constitute a public performance, which is not fair use.
okay guys. now i should abandon this idea.

i wonder, how one could really make money out of xbmc? i guess, if anybody can make money out of xbmc, then the developer of xbmc have already done so and become filthy rich(not that they arent now).

cheers.
you are selling your service of "setting up" the hardware and XBMC so of course it isn't illegal. Heck even if they had all the hardware setup and all they needed was XBMC installed and configured you could make money.. Key difference is you are selling your time & expertise, not the product. Just make it clear that the software is free and can download it from xbmc.org.

I really don't understand that fair use, I guess all the kids running around with
their stereo's blaring to turn them down so I can't hear their stereos or get
some headphones..

(2011-08-26, 04:04)natethomas Wrote: Ah, you COULD get in trouble for that publicENEMY, not necessarily because of the copying or breaking DRM, but because your playing it in a public area where members of the public could see it might constitute a public performance, which is not fair use.

In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

(2011-08-25, 17:42)publicENEMY Wrote:
davilla Wrote:Ask a lawyer if you don't know and are thinking about doing this as a company. Anything else would be silly.

Im so poor i cannot afford a lawyer. thats why i asked here. where can i find the license? cant seem to find it through google.

Contacting a laywer for this type of reason would not cost you a dime. They work off of commission. They would take a percentage (usually around 30%) of whatever you or they could gain in a law suit. Lawyers will not charge for questions like this or they would be slapping away customers right and left.
(2011-08-25, 07:10)publicENEMY Wrote: is it legal for a company to purchase bluray movies and screen it to its customer freely? is it legal if a person create backups of its bluray movie on hd? im not sure about bluray term and condition.
No it's not legal to screen movies without sharing the gross with the distributors and getting a valid lic from them to do so... (they need to protect the producers right for a quality screening). The recent Kaleidescape, Inc ruling disallows copying blu-ray movies to HD even if you own the disk.

Latest information indicates there has been some agreement between Hollywood producers. Kaleidescape launched its online offering in beta late last year, and now it's officially open, becoming what it claims is the first store to provide "internet delivery of Blu-ray quality movies." The Kaleidescape Store goes beyond other 1080p services higher bit-rates, extras and loss-less audio options they don't have. There's no streaming to be had here, only downloads, with file sizes we saw ranging from 23GB to as much as 55.4GB and everywhere in between.

The Kaleidescape Store is getting a boost by adding the ability for customers to add digital copies for their existing Blu-ray discs. At launch it only supported DVDs, but now customers can get high quality, discless access to movies they already own HD editions, just by putting a disc in the player. The price for Ultraviolet access across devices and an excuse to stop getting up from the couch to put the disc in (although, if you'd like to buy an expensive disc changer instead we're sure Kaleidescape won't argue) is $1.99, so choose wisely. Finally, the company is expanding access to the store, which has opened its virtual doors in Canada for the first time, in addition to the US and the UK, where it launched back in May.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/02/kalei...traviolet/

I'm unsure how this will affect downloads from other sources, or the fair use doctrine, but clearly there has been movement in postilions. I suspect that if you own the disc there is an arguable defence position in Canada.
This is my question too what you mentioned above, when you say that a commercial product using XBMC must abide the XBMC copyrights and logos, do you mean by this that we need to leave them?
Actually the company having proper copyrights and logos has always been my choice and I think that this is ethically good.

protect intellectual property
Brick 
Hi, after making various HTPC's running XBMC for family & friends, ive decided to setup a small business doing this ~ and just thought id get some input;

Firstly, the business is based upon assembling, selling & supporting the Hardware ~ XBMC is provided free of charge, and i make my source available, and any updated versions of the software i do.
As its a small business venture, ive renamed XBMC for my purposes to 'Bliss Media Centre', have removed all XBMC logo's, and made a few changes to it ~
i.e: My Source is based on the stable v12 (Frodo), it uses the Hybrid skin by default, it uses the OzWeather weather forecasting by default (as this is targeted to Australian consumers), and it has various program & video addon's preinstalled (so these addon's have been intergrated into my source).
I also proudly advertise (on my web site & Facebook page), that Bliss Media Centre is 'derived' from XBMC, & that Bliss Media Centre (the software) is GPL Licensed.

At the moment i only have a Windows OS version of my 'Bliss Media Centre' - but i do supply a fully legit OEM DVD of Windows with the box.
(Side comment here - i already run a small IT Repair/Support business, where i build my own PC's & Servers - and all MS Software i purchase thru authorized MS distributors).

Anyway, here's link's to the website (which is still undergoing development), & the Facebook page.
If anyone see's any legal issue's with any of this, please let me know & i'll address it quickly.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BlissMediaCentre
I really wish there was a simple, reliable, powerful XBMC solution for "dummy" users to be honest.
WD Live TV's and what have you are simple and cheap but XBMC is the way to go, it'd be nice if there was say a $150 device which did the job.

I used XBMC on an AppleTV2 about a year back and frankly, the performance was disgusting and that was without a huge library! (at all!)
I've got an AMD Turion CPU (2.2ghz) which is some kind of embedded thing from a HP Microserver N54L - and for the most part XBMC is fine with an 1800 movie library.

Tired of pals using inferior software for their TV :/
(2013-10-18, 13:55)AbRASiON Wrote: I really wish there was a simple, reliable, powerful XBMC solution for "dummy" users to be honest.
Try openelec.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Selling hardware bundled with XBMC?3