Too much cpu in idle
I'm new on this forum, so Hello all Wink

I try XBMC on my Mac mini and this software is very cool BUT it uses too much cpu in idle mode Huh

So I build my own version with X-Code and profile the code with Shark (a Mac OS X tool).

It show that the tool spend a lot of time in semaphore handling for SDL. I don't know much in this graphic layer development but I don't seems good...
(maybe it's for menu button selected blinking)

I made another investigation in the next days but if someone can help me on SDL understanding, it could help...
I think you have the wrong thread there. We know of cpu issues when idle. You can check the linux and windows forums.

elupus is working on a fix.

You can look at http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4382 for more details. I believe it applies to all platforms.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer Wrote:I think you have the wrong thread there. We know of cpu issues when idle. You can check the linux and windows forums.

elupus is working on a fix.

You can look at http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4382 for more details. I believe it applies to all platforms.

hum, I'm not talking about 100% cpu but only 20%, yes it's few but on my Mac mini it make run faster the fan...
Yeah, it still may be the same issue. The thread you highlighted should not take that much cpu. It is just waiting indefinitely until a cd/dvd is put in the drive.

On linux, if I have vsync "Always Enabled", I also get about 20%. That is being fixed and should hopefully fix it on all platforms.

Thanks.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Yes, I just saw for the thread for cd/dvd Smile

But interesting, on my Mac, the vsync option is desactivated and I get 15%, but if I check "Always Enabled", I have 11%...
FYI: I'm in debugging mode with X-Code so in window mode (not fullscreen)

Thanks for you quick response, it's cool to see the xbmc community is reactive Wink
So I change the frame limitation in Application.cpp
Quote: const static unsigned int singleFrameTime = 40; // default limit 100 fps // sturp: limit 25fps

And the cpu is now at 5% but when the application is not the active windows, the cpu is at 15% Eek

It seems there are lot of work to do to discrease the cpu used in idle mode...

FYI: FrontRow is using 3.5% of cpu in the Movies menu with text entry scrolling.
Just keep monitoring that trac ticket I mentioned Smile

So I patch the surface.cpp file with the modification provide by elupus (the owner of this track ticket).
But the modification doesn't cover Mac OS X, I move some of this code to "force" the execution on my build and I see a real reduction of cpu usage, 50% lower (from 15% to 7%).
Could you contact this track ticker owner to make the minor modification to integrate the OSX deploiement for his patch ?
The patch is not ready.

Secondly, make the comment yourself in the trac ticket. It is open for everyone.

Thanks.

I make my comment

ps: sorry, I doesn't know it's the same login/pass on this forum :p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Too much cpu in idle0