XBMC on MBP with ATI Mobility Radeon X1600?
I have searched, read and banged my head aginst the wall for over a week now cause this is such a steep learning curveWink
95% of what I read in here is way above my head so Im just gonna ask flat out:

Will I be able to run XBMC on a Macbook Pro 2,33 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600?

I've been searching how and low for driver updates for the ATI but there arent any. So The latest version of openGL I have is 1.5.7 and it doesnt seem the card support GLSL. Although Im not 100 % sure of that and neither were Apple SupportBig Grin

I hope I dont come off as a lazy ass if I have missed the basics here but I really tried my best to absorb all the info, but its just too overwhelming.

Can somebody please help figure out if I have the right equipment before I start the process of building?

And the last thing Im wondering is: If I download via Azureus and want to have files ready for seeding at any given point, am I gonna have trouble doing this because of the renaming of files for XBMC to recognize them?

Thanks in advance guysSmile
Yes, XBMC will run just fine on your MBP.

Just download from xbmc.org/download and away you go Smile

As for renaming files - it depends on just how much you need to rename them. You may find that you don't need to touch them at all.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Wow, that was fast! Smile

Thanks for helping. Now I just need to sink my teeth into the file naming system. My guts tell that examples like these would have to be renamed, right?

I provided some examples to see if Im heading right down the tubeBig Grin

Folder name: L'Amore.1948.DVDRip
-L'Amore.1948.DVDRip.Xvid.Dual_EN.srt
-L'Amore.1948.DVDRip.Xvid.Dual.avi

single file: Abbas Kiarostami - Mossafer (Traveller) 1974.avi

Folder name: CRANESAREFLYING
-CRANESAREFLYING.ISO
-CRANESAREFLYING.MDS

eh.... and this one is probably pretty nastyWink

folder: La.leÁon.de.cinÈma.de.Abbas.Kiarostami
-La.leÁon.de.cinÈma.de.Abbas.Kiarostami.DVDrip.xvid.aguadilu.avi
-La.leÁon.de.cinÈma.de.Abbas.Kiarostami.DVDrip.xvid.aguadilu.srt

If you could kindly give some brief feedback on these examples I'll be starting to learn the filing system.

Thanks again!
Other than the likelihood of hitting them on IMDb, there's nothing stopping them from being picked up per-se.

XBMC strips stuff like DVDrip.xvid before sending it to imdb.

I suggest just trying things out as-is and only bothering with other stuff if you have to. Note that a collection of single files and movies in folders tends to cause problems - it's best to stick to one or the other where possible.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ah, so the renaming business does rely only apply to the IMDB function, or does it have to do with XBMC locating the files and recognizing them for playback?

Regarding singlefiles/folders: Could a solution to bypass this be that I create a new folder for the single files or would the issue remain the same because I would also have folders with several files?

And lastly: there is a heap of people on forums in my homecountry that would love to use this program but are overwhelmed by massive amount of info needed to be digested, and also the bitorrent seeding thing I was mentioning earlier. Is it ok to copy/paste this thread to create a little "get your butt moving" guide?

By the way; I tried my first playback yesterday and it all worked very fineSmile The only thing Im looking into later on is how to get fullscreen on my old CRT TV (I believe I saw a thread about this earlier),
and also to see if the DVI-svideo adapter would allow me to play digital sound correctly without choosing analogue. The signals go directly from Mac to TV, no surround receiver yet Im afraid.

Once again - I am most grateful for your kind and patient guidance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on MBP with ATI Mobility Radeon X1600?0