• 4(current)
Port XBMC to iOS (OS) for running natively on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch possible?
The screen is actually 1024x768 but very nice looking from the pictures. Apple have their own Arm CPU called the A4 powering it.

Unless someone has the money to pay for iPads plus a couple of developers with a lot of free time on their hands to create an Arm/OSX port of XBMC I dont imagine anything happening any time soon.

Theres also the possibility that this is very much like the AppleTV a device crafted for Apple authored content and nothing else. So even if XBMC was to run on it the performance could be terrible unless you encoded videos for it in the first place.

Would Apple even allow an application like XBMC on it's app store ?
Starstream Wrote:Would Apple even allow an application like XBMC on it's app store ?

No, XBMC loads external libs and that's a no-no.
my topic title keeps changing... hmmm...

anyway, I'm sure alot of questions can't be answered until hardware is actually available, but some assumptions can be made..

- seems to use iphone/itouch architecture/api, so appletv >>> ipad does not seem likely

- if it becomes hackable, its likely to be either jailbroke using the existing OS like the iphone, or less likely like the atv where a linux distro could be installed. getting linux on there would probably require alot of low level driver work too.

- I can see a very viable scenario of a custom web app client (and associated server within xbmc) that lets you 'run' xbmc on the tablet via the xbmc web/upnp services on a proper xbmc running on standard live/linux/osx/win32 (web client > xbmc server).
LOL they actually called it the iPad LAME
Starstream Wrote:Would Apple even allow an application like XBMC on it's app store ?

The distribution restrictions of the apple store are a direct violation of the GPL...
You guys are really bumming me out... My girlfriend and I were discussing this tonight. I have a 5TB RAID NAS broadcasting our movie collection to the house via WIFI. Our TV media center and computers run xbmc and this system works great. However, would love to lay in bed and watch xbmc/hulu on a more personal device like the iPad as to not disturb each other. Guess that will never happen...
gkornato Wrote:I'll be happy to see the first ipad XBMC remote.

I just registered on this web site to say that would be a great idea. I would pay $600 or whatever it costs to have an iPad for the sole purpose of using it as a wireless remote.

It would be great to have it as the same exact interface as XBMC, just running in slave mode. Almost like using x11vnc or some other remote desktop software. XBMC web interface is just okay, a true native interface controlling a master xbmc server would be amazing.
davilla Wrote:No, XBMC loads external libs and that's a no-no.

This will be the reason that this device fails.

They came out with a pad that sits somewhere between an iPod and a laptop but comes with all the restrictions of the iPod.

The two things that will make this thing fail, no photoshop, and the app store.

Seriously, you came out with a tablet PC that won't run PhotoShop? Why do PhotoShop users or other creative people still cling to Apple?
FunkyELF Wrote:I just registered on this web site to say that would be a great idea. I would pay $600 or whatever it costs to have an iPad for the sole purpose of using it as a wireless remote.

It would be great to have it as the same exact interface as XBMC, just running in slave mode. Almost like using x11vnc or some other remote desktop software. XBMC web interface is just okay, a true native interface controlling a master xbmc server would be amazing.

See here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53824
FunkyELF Wrote:Seriously, you came out with a tablet PC that won't run PhotoShop? Why do PhotoShop users or other creative people still cling to Apple?

Because is is what they are used to it has been a very much better system to work on in regards to layout possibilities because the screens are actually displaying things in real size when you set the image size to 100% where a windows machine does not get this right by default and needs al kinds of tools to even make it remotely correct. Huh
On top of that due to the integration these systems are far more stable then Windows systems for the simple reason that there is far less useless crap that comes with the OS it self.

Photoshop is not available due to the fact that the processor is likely not powerful enough to deal with a reasonable sized photo that has a few filters applied to it in short succession, or maybe simply because Adobe does not have the software ready just yet? Who knows, doesn't really matter anyway the screen is to small for serious work on top of the fact that without the brush/pen that comes with real graphics tablets missing which is a big thing if you ever worked with such a device.

Anyway, back on track. It is not unlikely to think that there will be some form of dlna or at the very least streaming support for this thing. After all why would it have wifi-n if all it does is open a few webpages. A full XBMC type interface with all the skinning and so on I seriously doubt it, a web type interface why not?
I mean if Google can beat Apple by releasing a web based Google Voice app to beat the Apple store restrictions banning them from delivering free calling to iPhone users then why would XBMC not be able to produce a web based client for accessing the media? A remote control function would definitely work as the OS is just a slightly newer version of iPhone OS for which a remote control app for XBMC is already available so that should be simple.

I picture a situation where one has a iPad that shows the media's library information as stored in XBMC in combination with the fanart/poster or other image relating to the file. With of course a play, pause etc option, and a possibility to look at the actors or band members associated with the file playing. Or of course the possibility to look for a new file and queue it or play it etc... A full fledged copy of the XBMC interface I seriously doubt, if one can playback media files on the iPad served from XBMC I doubt anyone can say till the thing is actually available. But the described remote functions are likely all possible.
Thoughts:
We do know the iPad will be jail broken.
We do not know if apple will treat this as jail breaking the aTV or jail breaking the iphone. They largely ignored it with the aTV but came down hard on the iPhone due to potential lost revenue from ATT. Since this machine has no contract, I would ~hope~ they treat it more like the aTV.

The OS will be a modified OSX, like aTV and the iPhone, but with a custom processor. So the issues I see going forward are:

Installing the User Interface (as iPad will be modified OSX, not sure of the challenges to this)
Getting the video player to run on the custom processor. *edit* mplayer and vlc4iphone exist so this is possible.
Getting UPnP / ntfs remote file streaming working.
Outputting video through their dock connector.

So, for now seems like all we can do is wait, but an interesting challenge would be to get this working on a modded iPhone, of course only a low rez short clip, but more of a test.
Could make a nice remote Wink
I just registered for one reason, to post this:

I was sold on purchasing an ipad as i am in the market for an HTPC and I thought this could be the perfect solution.

HOWEVER, after I read that the ipad video output is limited and will not spit out 720p, i became very disapointed.

Question: Would it be possible to find a hack around thatHuh??/
Hi all, I think you are not thinking this through.

We are all using XBMC via our macs and PCs already, leave it that way.

Develop XBMC so I can use all the wonderfull skins etc on the ipad to choose what I want to Play out of my TV via the computer attached to it, focusing especially on music. I drool at the idea of the ipad displaying all my cover art and me being able to drag into a playlist etc and click play and out it comes from my hifi via XBMC on my mac. Or dragging through Alaska movies section to the film I want, getting info on it then pressing play for it to appear on my TV.

Yummy.
hoopbull Wrote:I just registered for one reason, to post this:

I was sold on purchasing an ipad as i am in the market for an HTPC and I thought this could be the perfect solution.

HOWEVER, after I read that the ipad video output is limited and will not spit out 720p, i became very disapointed.

Question: Would it be possible to find a hack around thatHuh??/

IMHO, 720p on that 10 inch screen isn't so bad but I think your real issue will be that there is no video out on that thing. Like an iPhone the only screen you get with Mac's iPad is the touchscreen. There's no hooking this up to a TV... for now at least.

In short, you'll probably never be able to use it as a true HTPC... but having XBMC running on it could still be cool as a portable TV of sorts
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to iOS (OS) for running natively on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch possible?1