Another Hardware Question... S-Video out?
Ok folks, hate to bring up hardware questions as I know there are lots about. At a loss to answer this one..

Just got a call from my mother-in-law (I know I should have just hung up), anyways she wants to get my father-in-law a XBMC box for Christmas as he loves mine so much. Mine is still just an original XBox. That said I do not feel like tracking down a used Xbox, modding it to get it running, networking it to his home PC, installing a large HD somewhere to hold media etc etc etc....

So heres the meat of the question. Looking for a suggestion on a setup for them that supports S-Video, or some other SD output option. They are using my old 37" CRT TV that has no VGA, or other HD inputs.

I cannot find a current gen mobo that has SD output (S-Video or composite is ok to). Anyone have any suggestions? Might even be easier to pickup a machine (Dell, HP etc) that has the option. Only looking to spend in and around $300 - $500 on this deal.

For myself was going to get a MOBO based on AMD 780G chipset, some CPU that can handle 1080P, whack of memory and a couple fat hard drives. How is the 780G holding up for people with 1080P?

Many thanks,

Mike
You could get a laptop with S-Video out. It would work great, and it could be portable.
Bedpan Wrote:I cannot find a current gen mobo that has SD output (S-Video or composite is ok to). Anyone have any suggestions? Might even be easier to pickup a machine (Dell, HP etc) that has the option. Only looking to spend in and around $300 - $500 on this deal.

Get a Nvidia graphics card (9400GT) with TV (S-video) output, instead of on-board video.
Then you can get a mobo without onboard GPU, which will be cheaper and the northbridge will be less hot too.
Integrated GPU's with s-video support are quite rare, haven't seen one in ages. Go with a dedicated graphic card as previously suggested.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another Hardware Question... S-Video out?0