[APPLE TV] Can't play ISO (DVD-Video) image files
Hey all, I can't play DVD ISOs, I've tried a few, both large ~8GB and small ~1.5GB. I don't want to post a bug yet, because I'm not sure if this issue is widespread, or if it just has something to do with the way the Apple TV is patched (I know there are a lot of issues with the Apple TV DVD framework). I searched for this to see if it was a known issue, and it is not, so if this isn't isolated to me, let me know and when I get home tonight I'll post up my log file and submit a bug to TRAC. Most of the time, the UI will act like I never clicked the ISO, and I'll be free to move the cursor around and select another media file, only once I got an error message, which I will detail further when I get home, it was something like, 'stopped due to too many failed items'. Thanks.
Please post your log file. After taking a look, we can determine whether it is indeed a bug. Thanks.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

I have the same problem.

Windows build plays iso's np

OSX build does seem to be very finicky when it comes to iso's, they ether need to be mounted or local to the machine and they still dont always play (beta2 seems to be a bit better)

The Apple tv (2.2 - beta2) just locks up, needs to be unplugged. This is streaming over lan... I have yet to try it from its hdd.

Should the apple tv be able to play iso's?
Do you need to install something extra to get it to work? dvd framework?
Only tried a couple of ISO files so far with AppleTV.

Reasonably successful but not perfect, same goes for playing a Video_TS folder.

After selecting to play these files can often take 10-30 seconds to start playing, but once going seem fine.

These are streaming via an SMB network share from a non-logged in user account on an iMac.

Basically I've put some test files in a folder on an external USB drive connected to an iMac, and created a symbolic link to that folder and stuck it in the account Movie folder. May be an easier way but it works for now.

While I've certainly had some lockups requiring a reboot when it plays, it plasy pretty well, with an occasional sound hiccough very infrequently.

Running AppleTV 2.2 (upgraded prior to using USB patcher), and Beta 2.

The Beta 1 seemed a bit more glitchy and may have been getting the aspect ratio wrong for 4:3 content, but I've tinkered a lot with settings so it may have been changing TV aspect to Auto that did the trick (don't need this with AppleTV itself), and my TV's auto crops slightly compared to setting to 16:9.

The 'DVD menu' seems to have changed - I've lost the stop button - how do I stop playback, only managed to get it to hang trying last night.

Rapid keypresses seem to freeze playback at times.
I tried a couple of video_ts folders on my SMB/UPnP NAS. The only thing I could do was play individual vob files and then I couldn't FF nor RW at all. I was able to access the complete DVD with menus and everything using the old Xbox. I could also jump forward and back in the timeline without any problems. Are there any known issues here? I haven't seen a lot of talk about it even though I did a search which led me to this thread. Thanks.
Neil

Not sure if this is obvious but for video_ts folders to play without selecting individual files you may need to have 'stacking' set in the left hand side of the menu - in this way the folder should appear as an icon and play when selected rather than opening to show individual files. You also ned all the files in there not just VOBs.

SS Rolleyes
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked someplace in the XBMC system settings and saw that stacking was already enabled by default. It's been a few days now so I don't remember exactly where I looked.

I think I have to select the .ifo file in Plex and my Xbox. Is that how it is supposed to work in XBMC too? Maybe I should try library mode, at least for my DVDs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] Can't play ISO (DVD-Video) image files0