• 1(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC
Thumbs Up 
PS3BluMote v2.04

For all that own a playstation3 BD remote or like to use and excellent remote that has a better connectivity that RF or IR, cheetah05 and miljbee, wrote an excellent app for Windows.

Get It -> Github ->  Source
update Feb: Added hibernate funcionality by miljbee

It Acts like a normal keyboard / HID-input runs in the system tray and also features sms like text input trough the numeric keys :o , so you can use it on all your favorite applications that use keyboard shortcuts, like media players media centers and so on.

Quote:HOW TO PAIR THE OFFICIAL SONY PS3 BLUETOOTH REMOTE IN WINDOWS:
=====================

INSTALLATION AND USE:

1. If it is not installed already, download and install .NET 4.0
framework. This can be downloaded for free here:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/det...x?id=17851.
2. Download and install the PS3BluMote application from:
http://benbarron.com/applications.
3. Pair the remote (see instructions below).
4. Open the PS3BluMote application. The icon for the application will
appear in the system tray. A grey icon means the remote is not
connected; blue means connected.
5. Right-click on the system tray icon and click "Settings". Here
you can change all the settings needed and the key assignments. You
can close this window by clicking the "X" in the top right-hand
corner. You settings will automatically be saved.
6. To exit the application you will need to right-click on the system
tray icon and click "Exit".

=====================

HOW TO PAIR THE OFFICIAL SONY PS3 BLUETOOTH REMOTE IN WINDOWS:

1. Bring up the Bluetooth pairing screen on your computer. How you do
this depends entirely on your operating system and what Bluetooth
adapter you are using.
2. Put the PS3 Bluetooth Remote into pairing mode. To do this you hold
"Start + Enter" buttons together for 5 seconds and then release.
3. Search for discoverable devices on your computer.
4. When the remote (it is named "BD Remote Control") is found, pair the
device. If prompted for a key, opt for the NO KEY (or similar) option.
5. Allow for the device to pair. Do NOT close the "finished paring screen"
for 2 minutes. Hopefully it should install some drivers in the
background (see your system tray).
6. Open the PS3BluMote application and see if the remote works, pressing
any button should pair the remote automatically. If it works you will
have a blue icon in your system tray and when you hover over the icon
for the application it will pop-up with "Connected".

If it does not work, continue with these steps:

7. Put the remote back into pairing mode (follow instruction 2).
8. Open up the services screen for the already paired remote.
9. **HOPEFULLY** you should see a checkbox for HID device (or something
similar). Check it and click Apply/Ok and it should install the driver.

If you are still having issues continue with these steps:

10. Unplug your PS3 (if you own one).
11. Un-pair/Remove any PS3 related Bluetooth devices that are paired with
your computer.
12. Remove the drivers for your PC Bluetooth device/dongle and remove the
actual device itself.
13. Look through Device Manager to ensure that all drivers/devices related
to Bluetooth have been removed.
14. Restart your computer.
15. Plug the Bluetooth device/dongle back into your PC and install the
drivers.
16. Restart your computer.
17. Return to Step 1.

=====================

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ):

---> Can I get my PS3 Bluetooth Remote to launch programs with PS3BluMote?

Yes, you can! You first need to assign a keyboard shortcut to that program in
Windows; you can find instructions here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windo...n-programs

You then assign the same keyboard shortcut to a remote button in PS3BluMote
and everytime you press the button it will open the application.

---> How hibernation works ?

PS3BluMote will try to hibernate the remote as soon as it hasn't receive any events from the remote since some time.
The amount of time to wait before hibernating the remote can be changed in the settings screen.

To hibernate the remote, PS3BluMote uses the same method as the one implemented in PS3RemoteSleep. It disables the
HID Service attached to the remote then reenables it.
Note that this method takes some time (up to 20s). During this time PS3BluMote won't receive any event from
the remote. So don't set a too short value in the settings screen.

When the remote is hibernated, pressing any key will wake it up. PS3BluMote will get this key with a 500-1000ms delay.

You can also manually hibernate the remote by holding it's PS button for more than 6s.

When the remote is hibernated, the PS3BluMoteIcon in the task bar will become light blue.

Ps3RemoteSleep is available here: http://ps3remotesleep.codeplex.com/

---> Do other remotes work?

The following remotes are known to work:
- Official Sony PS3 Bluetooth remote (old version).
- Official Sony PS3 Bluetooth remote (new version).
- SMK 3700
- Logitech Harmony (with PS3 Adapter).

To get these addition remotes (and any other PS3 Bluetooth remote) to work, you
need to open the PS3BluMote settings and click on the "Settings" tab. Here you
change the remote VID (Vendor ID) and PID (Product ID) to match your remote. You
can find these in the Device Manager (via Control Panel), however, there is also
a list of VIDs/PIDs for the above remotes on the "Settings" tab page. If you find
another remote that works with PS3BluMote, please let me know via the contact form
here: Http://www.benbarron.com/contact

=====================
* version 2.04 is not tested by me
This little app works great for me, I wastrying to wrap my head around the whole eventclient thing when i stumbled upon this (i am using bluesoleil bluetooth dongle, so I dont know if it is compatible with xbmc). I find this app very responsive and if you just hold the PS button down for 6 seconds it will disconnect from the bluetooth until another button is pressed. I also bound the X button the ps3 remote to a hotkey I had setup on the xbmc shortcut on my desktop to launch xbmc and then bound the red button as shutdown.
Smile good to hear.

Quote:and if you just hold the PS button down for 6 seconds it will disconnect from the bluetooth until another button is pressed.

Yes, i forgot to put that bit in, otherwise the remote will stay connected and drown your battery's.

i too love the "feel" of the remote, and you never have to worry about line of sight like with IR.

We are currently looking into the possibility to load different config's, toggle sms feature on/off and left/right mouse presses with a key bind. (maybe even mouse movement). With the SMS feature you can type letters with the number keys like you do on your phone.

If you like, you can post your config file so others can build on it.
I am having a problem now, I am using a bluetooth dongle with bluesoleil and sometimes as soon as I press a button the remote connects right away, but now it searches for a few seconds and says "Bluetooth service is not available" and cannot connect to the remote. I suspect this is an issue with bluesoleil?
that might be, is it still listed in your bluetooth places or under game controller in config screen? i had to once re-install the dongle drivers because i was fucking around with it No
yeah it is still listed there but wont let me connect. I have a feeling that the problem is happening if I dont hold down the PS button to disconnect before I restart the computer. If I go ahead and restart it without disconnecting first, it throws the pairing off maybe? I will have to mess around with it later, kind of annoying.

on another note, I am also getting that video speeds up and slows down but audio remains constant problem, I think it has to do with the digital audio, I am using a SB Live! 5.1 using spdif and ac3filter, the videos work fine thru WMP or VLC, it just seems to be an issue in XBMC.

I love tinkering with this shit though, the wife on the other hand does not seem to be imnpressed. Wink
I still get connection issues here and there but I think it is just the cheap dongle I have, if I disconnect it and plug in back in it will usually connect again.
Would it be possible to have the remote automaticly time out and switch off after a user specified time interval? I'm pretty forgetful so I'm bound to forget to unpair the remote manually every time.
no its not possible to send anything TO the remote, but i never paid attention if it might do it itself. how is it on the sixaxis? does it shutdown after inactivity?
Thanks alot for posting about this. I actually bought one from work last night just to start using after reading this post, and being bluetooth (Yeah, no aiming!!) Works just great too. I might add 'use no pairing code' to the info though. A lot of devices use 0000 as a default (my mouse,all headsets,etc.), so i'm guessing there might be users out there trying this and thinking something isn't working right when it comes back saying couldn't pair. I tried no code 1st luckily, but still thought it would be helpfull to others in case.
I would also love to see some feedback if/when someone happens to find out if it auto shuts off, so it doesn't wear down the batteries trying to always keep paired even when not being used. I could always pull out a battery when just not using, or unpair it til then.
Would you mind posting your ini file to share that you setup for XBMC? (the exported ini file for the BT remote application), which works perfectly BTW, That way we only have to just tweak a few buttons if any.
djdafreund Wrote:Thanks alot for posting about this. I actually bought one from work last night just to start using after reading this post, and being bluetooth (Yeah, no aiming!!) Works just great too. I might add 'use no pairing code' to the info though. A lot of devices use 0000 as a default (my mouse,all headsets,etc.), so i'm guessing there might be users out there trying this and thinking something isn't working right when it comes back saying couldn't pair. I tried no code 1st luckily, but still thought it would be helpfull to others in case.
I would also love to see some feedback if/when someone happens to find out if it auto shuts off, so it doesn't wear down the batteries trying to always keep paired even when not being used. I could always pull out a battery when just not using, or unpair it til then.
Would you mind posting your ini file to share that you setup for XBMC? (the exported ini file for the BT remote application), which works perfectly BTW, That way we only have to just tweak a few buttons if any.

no need to pull a battery, just hold the PS button (the one with the playstation symbol under enter button) down for 6 seconds and it will stop until you press another button.
i Like to build a nice ini file, but i dont' have time or patience to go trough the xml, so if someone can tell me (or give a list) what keyboard key's are commonly used in xbmc i can build one right away. I don't even know if it is skin dependent or not.

but its nice to heard this feedback guy's tnx alot.

ill check whether it is possible or not to send a shutdown command. till then, keep the PS button pressed for 6 sec's or so like brownstein said.
Ok, here's one i made so far. I will tweak things later, but this is enough. Also, make a shortcut to load up xbmc and make the following keys to open it in the shortcut properties to work with this "ctrl-alt-x", this was the PS button will properly load up XBMC. Copy and paste in a new .ini file and load it up in the progam.

<settings version="1.0" smsinput="Y">
<key repeat="N">83</key>
<key repeat="N">17,16,65</key>
<key repeat="N">.</key>
<key repeat="N">17,85</key>
<key repeat="N">8</key>
<key repeat="N">.</key>
<key repeat="N">97</key>
<key repeat="N">98</key>
<key repeat="N">99</key>
<key repeat="N">100</key>
<key repeat="N">101</key>
<key repeat="N">102</key>
<key repeat="N">103</key>
<key repeat="N">104</key>
<key repeat="N">105</key>
<key repeat="N">96</key>
<key repeat="N">17,69</key>
<key repeat="N">17,77</key>
<key repeat="N">17,65</key>
<key repeat="N">9</key>
<key repeat="N">77</key>
<key repeat="N">17,16,77</key>
<key repeat="N">67</key>
<key repeat="N">8</key>
<key repeat="N">17,84</key>
<key repeat="N">73</key>
<key repeat="N">27</key>
<key repeat="N">17,79</key>
<key repeat="Y">38</key>
<key repeat="Y">40</key>
<key repeat="Y">37</key>
<key repeat="Y">39</key>
<key repeat="N">13</key>
<key repeat="N">17,18,88</key>
<key repeat="Y">34</key>
<key repeat="Y">33</key>
<key repeat="N">.</key>
<key repeat="Y">107</key>
<key repeat="Y">109</key>
<key repeat="N">17,18,77</key>
<key repeat="N">.</key>
<key repeat="N">.</key>
<key repeat="Y">17,16,66</key>
<key repeat="Y">17,16,70</key>
<key repeat="Y">17,66</key>
<key repeat="Y">190</key>
<key repeat="Y">33</key>
<key repeat="Y">34</key>
<key repeat="N">80</key>
<key repeat="N">88</key>
<key repeat="N">32</key>
</settings>
Thank you for your input, i did not have a chance to test your setup, but it looks oke..
Hi - I'm actually the developer of this application....so any ideas - fire away.

Also...a new version was released last night which fixed the SMS input.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC4