• 3(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC
Tested it on 32-bit Vista and it works! Congratulations!

When I press the disconnect button in your app, the word "Connected" disappears from the control panel. When I press any button on the remote, there is a short delay (less than a second, I guess, while the connection is restablished) and the remote is recognised again.

Thanks for your work.

Edit: of course this just tells us that you are able to sever the connection with the remote. I guess we have no way of knowing wether the remote is actually off other than see how long batteries last, which for me right now seems to be hours (BTW, this serious battery drainage only happens if I use the remote with my PC, if I use it with my PS3 batteries last for days on end).
Frok Wrote:Tested it on 32-bit Vista and it works! Congratulations!

When I press the disconnect button in your app, the word "Connected" disappears from the control panel. When I press any button on the remote, there is a short delay (less than a second, I guess, while the connection is restablished) and the remote is recognised again.

Thanks for your work.

Awesome, thought it would work - It appears this hack will only work on Vista 32bit though, which is a real shame :/.

Will try and work on something a little more concrete.

Meanwhile, I will create another program to run along side the current one so Vista 32bit users can have the idle disconnect feature until I find something that works for everyone.
Frok Wrote:Edit: of course this just tells us that you are able to sever the connection with the remote. I guess we have no way of knowing wether the remote is actually off other than see how long batteries last, which for me right now seems to be hours (BTW, this serious battery drainage only happens if I use the remote with my PC, if I use it with my PS3 batteries last for days on end).

The remote switches off when not connected to anything, I am pretty damn sure of that.
Trying to install the PS3 remote app on XP x64 SP2 (not the experimental "can I shutdown the remote app" of the last few posts).

Seems to install OK but when i start it I get an application error and then nothing. How do i get more info for you/what info would you need so I can be less vague?

Thanks
What was the application error (quote me the error message/report)?

Are you sure you have installed .NET 2.0 Framework (and any service packs for it)?
Apologies false alarm. Made a complete new HTPC and forgot to install .net. In my slight defence its not exactly obvious you need it but its my mistake none the less.

Thanks again Smile
na you right, i added it to the first post Smile
Can anyone please give me quick notes on how to setup the ps3 remote so that it works in VISTA?

I have it working no problem in xp but I simply can't get it to pair in vista. Most of the time it doesn't even detect the remote when I try to add new devices.
Sometimes it detects but when I click pair it doesn't find any services to connect and when I go back the remote is not listed as a device. I've tried with a couple of different dongles, bluesoleil and widcomm, and I can't get it going.

If you've got it working in vista could you please share your setup, what dongle you are using, what version of widcomm, or standard drivers, and if you've done anything special to get it going.

I would really appreciate it. I'd like to have the option of using vista, and this is the main thing holding me back.

Alternatively if someone could recommend a good choice for a vista remote that works with eventhost etc. that would be helpful too.

tia!
Hi jitterjames,

I use vista and it's working perfectly here. I am using the Widcomm stack.

All I have to do is make the remote visible, run the scan, make sure you connect with no passkey and it should add it to the devices. If no services are found, open the device properties, make the remote visible (again), click on the "Services" tab, it should then show the services after a little scan. Then check the box which has "HID" in it and it should start to install some devices after you click ok to save the changes and close the properties box.

I know that might not be very readable with all the commas, but read through it carefully and it will make sense (hopefully.)

Hope it helps.
Thanks for your fast response cheetah.

Your post makes perfect sense but unfortunately most of the time I am not even able to detect the presence of the ps3 remote when trying to add new device. (yes I am holding down the ps3 and enter buttons). sometimes it sees it briefly and I try to connect with no passkey but it seems to immediately dissapear after that.

you say: "If no services are found, open the device properties, make the remote visible (again), click on the "Services" tab, it should then show the services after a little scan." I'm not sure I fully understand this part but I guess it doesn't matter since I can't get to that stage anyway.

Could you please tell me:

1- which widcomm stack you are using (i.e. 5.1.0.1100) or are you just using the vista stack?

2- what dongle you are using (I have tried 2 rocketfish dongles and a GXT using bluesoleil

Perhaps not all ps3 remotes are the same. Mine may have a different firmware or something, though I don't think it's updateable.

Thanks again
BATTERIES!!!!!

Lol....I know it sounds simple, I am almost 100% certain that's you problem Smile

Other people have had the same problem before, when they replaced the batteries it was fine.
it's a reasonable suggestion, but I don't seem to have any problems with xp. Why would it be any different in vista?

I am using fully charged nimh batteries. I suppose I could try with alkaline just to be sure but it seems unlikely since xp is fine.
jitterjames Wrote:it's a reasonable suggestion, but I don't seem to have any problems with xp. Why would it be any different in vista?

I am using fully charged nimh batteries. I suppose I could try with alkaline just to be sure but it seems unlikely since xp is fine.

If your sure you batteries are charged then fine...but it's the only way to explain the behaviour.

Try re-seating the batteries.

Are you saying that you have two PCs switched on at the moment?....because that would be the problem. Switch the XP machine off completely (not just standby), that goes for the PS3 aswell (if you have one). The remote can only be paired with one machine (one bluetooth device - i am pretty sure of that)!!!
no. diffferent drives booting various OSes on the same pc. I had the same problem with both vista32 and vista64 on the same machine that works with xp.

I have also tried to install on another machine using vista with no luck, but I am moving the dongle and don't own a PS3 so there should be no interference.

I bought the remote just for use with my PC because I already had the bluetooth and liked the idea of a "no line of sight" remote.

I am now considering a vista RF remote as a last resort.

Thanks for all your good suggestions. I like your line of thinking. I just wish they applied to me!

Do you not want to tell me what dongle and specific stack you are using? I can't help but feel the problem is a dongle/driver thing.
oh ya, I also installed on my laptop running xp with no problems at all.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC4