• 16(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC
I am having trouble with this Sad

I have read many times: install, pair, play/works. Do I need to do any .xml editing? or use eventghost or anything? because it just doesn't work... the remote works with my ps3.. so I tried unplugging the ps3 and pairing with windows 7 x64 and then trying again.. still nothing?

hmm..
5meohd Wrote:I am having trouble with this Sad

I have read many times: install, pair, play/works. Do I need to do any .xml editing? or use eventghost or anything? because it just doesn't work... the remote works with my ps3.. so I tried unplugging the ps3 and pairing with windows 7 x64 and then trying again.. still nothing?

hmm..

Did you setup EventGhost to use the PS3 remote?
nope.. just the app from the OP of this thread.. I thought that was all that was needed?
PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST. I WAS POSTING AN INCORRECT RESPONSE
No, all the app does (or at least Ps3RemoteSleep) is to put your remote back to sleep mode. You still need EventGhost to receive and interpret the events. I'll give you a short tutorial on how to use EventGhost. It might not be entirely accurate since I myself only recently started using EventGhost.

So... first, in EventGhost, add a plugin. There is a plugin for the PS3 BD Remote Control. When you add it, you get a dialog where you select the bluetooth device (Usually "BD Remote Control). Oh, make sure you have paired your remote before doing this.

OK, so after doing this, you should see items appearing in your log in EventGhost every time you press a button, e.g. PS3.Buttons.Left. These are events. Events can be used to trigger macros

So yes, the next step is to define macros. A macro is simply a container for events and actions. So, you could define a macro names "Left". Press the left button on your remote. Drag the PS3.Buttons.Left to your "Left" macro. Now you have an event that will trigger the macro. Next, you can add actions to your macro. For instance, you can add a action Window > Emulate Keystrokes to emulate the left key being pressed on the keyboard. Typically you would define a macro for every single button on your remote and map the remote button to a keyboard key. But yes... it takes some time.

As an alternative, I'll upload my tree. You can download it and save it as an .xml file and open it up using EventGhost. I'm not at home right now but two things you will need to do to make it work:

1. You will see that the HIDPS3 plugin doesn't work. I use a slightly modified version of the Playstation remote plugin, but you can just delete that plugin and add the standard one that comes with EventGhost.

2. Navigate in the tree to RemoteSleep > Start Program... > Start Program: Ps3RemoteSleep.exe.
Modify this action to point to where-ever you downloaded Ps3RemoteSleep to.

As my tree is currently, pressing the Playstation button will launch XBMC if it isn't already running and show you the current battery level. The timer is set to hibernate the remote control 2 minutes after the last button press. Let me know if you are still struggling.
riaanc he is correct. All you need is the app. Maybe you have mixed up what thread you are in. Smile
VoxCommando.com
Oh yes, i'm sorry. I just responded to the forum notification in my e-mail without first checking where it was from. My apologies.
I have confused these various ps3 / xmbc / eventghost threads myself, many times!
VoxCommando.com
so any ideas on why I'm not getting the remote to function?

can anyone give a quick rundown of the process' they take in turning on a windows 7 machine-->opening xbmc-->and using the ps3 remote to browse/playback.

lets assume I've installed everything correctly.. I just want to see the order of operations in "turning stuff on".

sorry! thanks!
Are you able to pair with it? Does it show up as a bluetooth device? Does it appear in device manager as a game controller. What happens when you run blumote.

You have provided almost no information about what you have done. The instructions are available from various sites online so there is not much point in us giving them to you again.
VoxCommando.com
Hi guys, I have having a small issue with using the PS3 remote. It works fine except when a stop or pause a video and return to the menus. the remote loses functionality for about 30 seconds before it responds to button presses. keyboard etc. works fine. any ideas?
fixturesman Wrote:Hi guys, I have having a small issue with using the PS3 remote. It works fine except when a stop or pause a video and return to the menus. the remote loses functionality for about 30 seconds before it responds to button presses. keyboard etc. works fine. any ideas?

I don't really know what would cause this, but just on a hunch, do you run XBMC in "true" fullscreen mode. Do you have XBMC set to change the refresh rate to match video?

If you turn those off, same problem?
VoxCommando.com
steps 1-5 in the OP are complete. under "bluetooth device" I see BD Remote Control, Logitech MX Revolution Mouse, and Logitech MX5500 Keyboard.

I can right click BD Remote Control and see: "game controller settings" -->status "OK" then when I go to properties on that window I see "settings" and "test".. test does absolutely nothing.. and settings asks if I want to reset to default (again, does nothing) or calibrate (which is greyed out).

I can right click BD remote Control and see: "properties" --> under device information everything says "unavailable" in grey except Categories which says "Game controller", I can click "Services" without touching the remote and with holding "start & enter" and it will search and find the same thing "Drivers for keyboard, mice, etc (HID)".. it appears already checked.. alas.. nothing changes Sad

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more of these basic problems.. I mean with the remote not having any LED indicators or anything it seems like a very confusing process if everything doesn't "just work" the first go.

btw.. the remote was found and paired through that logitech bluetooth dongle that matches the mentioned key/mouse kit; I am using this key/mouse kit as I don't have any other options..... maybe thats the problem?
5meohd Wrote:steps 1-5 in the OP are complete. under "bluetooth device" I see BD Remote Control, Logitech MX Revolution Mouse, and Logitech MX5500 Keyboard.

I can right click BD Remote Control and see: "game controller settings" -->status "OK" then when I go to properties on that window I see "settings" and "test".. test does absolutely nothing.. and settings asks if I want to reset to default (again, does nothing) or calibrate (which is greyed out).

I can right click BD remote Control and see: "properties" --> under device information everything says "unavailable" in grey except Categories which says "Game controller", I can click "Services" without touching the remote and with holding "start & enter" and it will search and find the same thing "Drivers for keyboard, mice, etc (HID)".. it appears already checked.. alas.. nothing changes Sad

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more of these basic problems.. I mean with the remote not having any LED indicators or anything it seems like a very confusing process if everything doesn't "just work" the first go.

btw.. the remote was found and paired through that logitech bluetooth dongle that matches the mentioned key/mouse kit; I am using this key/mouse kit as I don't have any other options..... maybe thats the problem?

OK, now we are getting somewhere. that actually all sounds perfectly normal. You don't see things to test because it is not actually a game controller. So it would appear that it has paired correctly. Now please tell me exactly what version of the software you have installed. The safest is to send me a link to the actual file that you have downloaded and installed.

I also advise you when testing to make sure you have very strong (i.e. new or tested) batteries in the remote, and whenever you are not testing, take the batteries out. It is quite possible that if the remote is paired it is draining the batteries and they will only last a few days. The ideal is to use good quality relatively new nimH batteries and make sure they are fully charged.
VoxCommando.com
http://www.benbarron.com/applications where it says: to download experimental release click here.

and xbmc 10.1 from the main windows 7 d/l page

7 x64 btw.
5meohd Wrote:http://www.benbarron.com/applications where it says: to download experimental release click here.

and xbmc 10.1 from the main windows 7 d/l page

7 x64 btw.

Curious. It works fine for me. After installing this version, I removed my ps3 from bluetooth devices and then added it again. After that I ran blumote and I was immediately able to use it. You don't need XBMC to be running either, since it just does keyboard emulation. I am able to select an icon on my desktop with my mouse and then jump around with the arrow keys on the remote as though I were using the arrow keys on my keyboard.

The blumote icon (in the notification area) is blue for me and when I roll over it it shows this popup: "PS3 Blumote: Connected. (Battery: 100%)"

I have a switch on my remote that I installed to save the battery. When I switch it off (equivalent to removing the batteries) the icon goes grey and the rollover says "PS3 Blumote: Disconnected."

what is the status of your blumote notification icon?
VoxCommando.com
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC4