[APPLE TV] Apple TV versus Xbox hardware?
CASHMON3Y Wrote:I think im still going to buy an ATV. It supports 720p and thats all that my movies are in. Is there any way currently to OC the ATV processor?

Even if there is, not sure you would want to, the box gets pretty hot just sitting there.
I put some little rubber feet under mine to give it a bit of air circulation underneath (normally sits flat !?!).
I just wanted to mention I bought an Apple TV over the weekend, and all my H264 stuff plays perfectly compared to the Xbox which crashed. Mediastream is a little bit more sluggish than an HTPC in its navigation, but not so bad you'd notice without comparing side by side. It was a very useful upgrade from the Xbox.

I haven't searched for answers yet, but the one thing I wasn't able to get working easily was the web interface, but like I said, I haven't searched, so off I go...
yzeyze Wrote:Even if there is, not sure you would want to, the box gets pretty hot just sitting there.
I put some little rubber feet under mine to give it a bit of air circulation underneath (normally sits flat !?!).

The AppleTV does get hot, it's designed to get hot, the case is one big heat sink. This is normal.

Couple of tips, Nothing on top and nothing underneath that also generates lots of heat. It can be placed vertically without problem too.
I forgot to ask, can the Apple TV be networked to my pc running Vista? or do I need a mac. Thanks!
hoagieh Wrote:I forgot to ask, can the Apple TV be networked to my pc running Vista? or do I need a mac. Thanks!

Yes the AppleTV can be networked with a Vista machine without problems.
davilla Wrote:And remember that refurbished AppleTVs are available from Apple for $199

If you live near a Target the recently discontinued the Apple TV and it's down to $160 at their retail stores (website still lists full price). This is for the 40gb model.

I noticed that the other day as I'm considering purchasing an Apple TV even though I already have an XBox. The XBox is slowly becoming outdated and even though the ATV isn't an end all save all, it seems like it'll be nice for me. All I do is stream my media. The XBox wouldn't go to waste, I'd just use it in my bedroom.
For $160 you would have to be crazy to pass that up! Even if I don't use it as a primary HTPC, it would definitely come in handy in other rooms!
Yep, I just picked one up myself at Target. You really can't beat that price. Heck, the refurbished ones are $199! 'Course, I'm running Windows, so I can't get XBMC on it yet, but I'm patiently waiting...
man i wish i new this, i bought a brand new one at apple for $229 arghh!!!!!
I looked at one of the local Targets tonight and couldn't find one. I am not sure if they sold out or I just couldn't find one. I am not sure where they would display this product. I will check some other targets tomorrow.
It might just be a local sale by him.
$199 for a refurbHuh? gesssss apple sux!
160 bucks for a new one sounds more like it!
They're still to expensive in the UK to consider for me... £200! and no big step from the Xbox...
My understanding is that Target has put AppleTV on clearance because they won't be carrying it anymore. That's not too surprising. I don't think I know anybody who actually knows what one is. Heck, if it weren't for XBMC, it would be totally off the radar for me too. I couldn't find it at first either and had to ask for help. At my local store, they keep all of the Apple stuff in a locked glass case (with the iPods and such). If you can't find it, ask! Or even better, do what I did and call ahead first!
Hey where'd you guys get them? I'm calling all the target stores in Seattle and they're like 'we've never sold apple tvs'
When I went to Target the guy said they didn't have them, I asked him if he was sure and he said yes. Then he asked me if I ever heard of the Apple Store, I just smiled, said thanks and started to walk away, but my friend said "He doesn't mean a TV, but a device" -- the clerk thought I meant an actual TV. I explained the device in more detail, but he still had no idea what it was.

Anyways, as previously mentioned, the Apple TVs are kept with the iPods and what not. They're locked up though. Two Targets in the Pittsburgh, PA area had them w/ an orange sticker noting the $160 clearance price.

Someone on Slickdeals.net mentioned that Target drops prices frequently on discontinued products. I spoke w/ a clerk yesterday and he said price drops usually take effect on Wednesdays. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to give them a call and see if it dropped today.

Use this to locate one:

DCPI: B000MQNMQ6
Stock Checker: http://schumanfamily.com/old/fatw...etasin.php
http://www.target.com/Apple-TV-40...B000MQNMQ6

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] Apple TV versus Xbox hardware?0