[APPLE TV] Apple TV versus Xbox hardware?
Thanks for the info. I checked out my target and they were out, so I went ahead and got a new one from Best Buy.
I wonder if they will be any cheaper when black friday rolls around. Im scared to wait that long though, because they will probably run out!
I'm not sure if I like the aTV
CASHMON3Y Wrote:I think im still going to buy an ATV. It supports 720p and thats all that my movies are in. Is there any way currently to OC the ATV processor?

personally my suggestion is if you have the cash i would purchace a macmini or a Shuttle small forfactor pc. They are both very small and not noticable around your entertainment system. also i have seen them both run xbmc and it run flawlass because you have a kick ass procceor to handle just about anything. I plan on purchasing one down the line when i get some cash to replace my xbox.
I got my appletv as a gift about a year ago, it is a nice piece of device but lacks the hardware for hardcore movie watchers
I wasn't going to find a solution for ~$200 that is small, quiet, comes with a remote, with hdmi and optical outputs. Sure, you can spend more and get something faster and some day I probably will but so far, I have zero complaints using the atv for xbmc. I'm extremely happy with it.
kidk Wrote:personally my suggestion is if you have the cash i would purchace a macmini or a Shuttle small forfactor pc. They are both very small and not noticable around your entertainment system. also i have seen them both run xbmc and it run flawlass because you have a kick ass procceor to handle just about anything. I plan on purchasing one down the line when i get some cash to replace my xbox.
I got my appletv as a gift about a year ago, it is a nice piece of device but lacks the hardware for hardcore movie watchers
Im 16 and without a job its hard to afford anything over $200 lol. If I can find a Target or Bestbuy that has one, im buying it. Also I have done my research on HTPC's, any thing that I could have build would have been more expensive then this, wich is rare for an Apple product!
Ok, just got off the phone with about 15 stores. No one has any ATv's in stock... Also the one Target I called said that was because they knocked the price down to $114, I dont know if he an idiot of if its true. Either way, no I have to shell out the $230... It was funny though because every store I called thought it was an Apple brand television, so it took like 15 minutes to explain it to them, lmao.
Thanks for this thread, I was able to get one at my local Target (07080). The price was marked down to 114.98. This is my first Apple product and hope it does a better job than my aging Xbox.
Does anyone know how long this sale lasts? The idiots by me are... well just idiots.
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Does anyone know how long this sale lasts? The idiots by me are... well just idiots.

It's not a sale, it's clearance.
kirbypuckett Wrote:It's not a sale, it's clearance.

Honestly, I dont know the difference. Either way how long does this last?
I know this is way OT, but the BestBuy next to me said they would match Targets price if I can get an ad of some sort. Now do any of you have a flyer or target ad with the price advertised? You can PM me as to stop spamming this thread.
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Honestly, I dont know the difference. Either way how long does this last?

When an item is marked as "Clearance" at almost any retail outlet it means they're trying to get rid of it. They'll drop the price at certain intervals until it's gone.

A sale is when an item is discounted for a select period of time, but it will eventually return to full retail price.

Apple never really puts their products on sale -- I worked retail for a while and I can never recall an Apple product being on sale. The only time a price was marked down from MSRP was when it was discontinued.

You'll have almost zero luck in getting Best Buy to price match Target's price. I would suggest going to the store and having them call Target and ask them to confirm the price, however, BB will probably ask them if they have any in stock and when they respond "No" you'll be out of luck again.
I'd like to note that these are going quickly, there's none left in the Pittsburgh area. I snagged the last one for my mom as a Christmas gift. Hopefully XBMC is something she can use w/ ease.
kirbypuckett Wrote:When an item is marked as "Clearance" at almost any retail outlet it means they're trying to get rid of it. They'll drop the price at certain intervals until it's gone.

A sale is when an item is discounted for a select period of time, but it will eventually return to full retail price.

Apple never really puts their products on sale -- I worked retail for a while and I can never recall an Apple product being on sale. The only time a price was marked down from MSRP was when it was discontinued.

You'll have almost zero luck in getting Best Buy to price match Target's price. I would suggest going to the store and having them call Target and ask them to confirm the price, however, BB will probably ask them if they have any in stock and when they respond "No" you'll be out of luck again.
Im so confused right now, that im just going to pay an extra hundred. Half of the people I talk to say that Target doesnt sell Atv's in stores, it also says this online. But on the Target website it says they cost $229, full price. So I called the customer service and they said thats because clearances arent franchise wide, but rather restricted to an area, and also not online. But the sales rep at BB said if I can get written proof that Target put their Atv's on clearance, then they will match it. But since no one at any Targets down here in Detroit is smart, they dont believe me that the Atv is not an actual screen, so they cant help at all. The funny thing is that every store thinks its some sort of TV, even when I typed Apple TV in on ebay on the first page there was a big red apple with a TV mounted in it. This was a horrible name choice, lol.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] Apple TV versus Xbox hardware?0