[Music Scraper] An alternative, like ex. discogs.com, musicbrainz.org, or amazon.com?
Question 
allmusic is great, but there's a couple of artists (mostly foreign) that don't have thumbnails or bios, whereas they have both on Last.fm

How hard would it be for someone to code a scraper for these?

Thanks to anyone who replies Laugh
i have considered it but i do not feel comfortable scraping a site that provides open api's. that being said, anyone else is ofc free to do it
Sorry, what's open api?
API's which are available to the public
Question 
Is there any alternative to allmusic.com as scraper for music and how can I set it up?

My problem is that the allmusic.com website is blocked in China (and thats where I happen to live). Another scraper could solve my problem.

Thoughts? Many thanks!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I'm started working on a Last.FM Scraper... do you get last.fm in china?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rwparris2 Wrote:I'm started working on a Last.FM Scraper... do you get last.fm in china?

Yes, just checked and last.fm is working here. That would be terrific!!! Already any thoughts when this new scraper would "go live"?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
thats weak that china sensors its internet
steve1977 Wrote:Yes, just checked and last.fm is working here. That would be terrific!!! Already any thoughts when this new scraper would "go live"?

I've never done a scraper before and I don't have a lot of free time to sit down and get into it at the moment, so no, I have no idea, sorry.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
i reckon, and this may sounds weird, but the best source of music information is wikipedia... seriously, i have an extremely large amount of music and all my info comes from there... well... wish i knew how to create scrapers... nyways... just a thought
Wikipedia.org does not use a unified standard which is a must for a scraper to work.

amazon.com could work as a source as they use a standard for all their pages.

Nod
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
cool... cool... amazon is pretty wicked as well... by the way, you look a lot like fred durst... hmmm...
http://www.discogs.com/
I use a plugin for this site in the Foobar mediaplayer on my desktop pc, it literally finds everything I throw at it.
Thanks for all your replies. Both last.fm and amazon.com work well also in China. Would be awesome if the world of XBMC would see on of these scrapers in the future!!!

Many thanks again and best regards!!!
There's also an API for the site, maybe worth looking at:

http://www.discogs.com/help/api

TheUni

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Music Scraper] An alternative, like ex. discogs.com, musicbrainz.org, or amazon.com?0