1080p Playback Hardware
what is the "killa sample"?
Alright so I ran a test of the killa sample on the Acer Aspire X1200-E1651A, i tried the latest build of XBMC and MPC. On average I got about 170 dropped frames and the CPU ran around 80-90%. It really wasn't watchable, I tried lower bitrate 1080p videos and they seemed to run well, no skipping and around 20 or so dropped frames with the CPU around 80%.

So I've decided that this system just isn't for me. Even though most of the content I watch right now is only 720p and would run fine on that setup, I don't want to have to upgrade again in a couple years. I think I'm just going to go for a faster processor and do it right the first time.

The price is right for this system, but the power is not.
To my surprise my new setup 2.4 dual core, 2 gig ram actually ran it fairly smoothly. a tiny bit skipish but nothing overly obvious!
okay,
i run the killer sample vid, CPU was around 40-50%, had 4 dropped frames at the very beginning however this would most likely be to buffering from the NAS
eQUIV Wrote:hmmm, Yah well I work at an electronics store. So what I might do one day on my break is just install XBMC on it, hook it up to a 46" sharp aquos and play the killa sample on it a few times and see how it runs.

thanks for running the test, save me 400$. I'm thinking of getting the8400 or 8500 intel processor, and putting it in a 1U case in my rack.
Yah, no problem. I agree that the e8400 looks like the way to go. This is the system I decided to go with...

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
Kingston 2GB DDR2 800
Intel DG45FC (mini-ITX,G45,Video,Audio,GbLAN)
Apex MI-008 MINI-ITX Case Glossy Black w/250W PSU

$450 CDN

And i have an old dvd-rom and a 250gb hd I'm gonna stick in there. The mobo has digital audio and HDMI. I don't really need alot of internal storage since I have a large NAS.

So i'll either just toss tinyxp on the harddrive and run XBMC off there, or perhaps grab a usb stick and run XBMC live.
As soon as i get a HDD & psu my spec will be:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+
2gb Cosair DDR2
7800gt
Creative Audigy 2

As soon as i get it running and get a proper htpc case. I'll start working on getting it to be totally silent, going for air cooling only if i can. I reakon underclocking the cpu & GPU should do the trick, tempted to replace the HDD with a 4-8gb USB drive, once installed and working i could mount it read only to max its life.
eQUIV Wrote:Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
Kingston 2GB DDR2 800

I looked up the board and the case. That looks like a reasonable setup. However, I didn't find the Intel DG45FC on the regular online stores I shop, only the DG45FCD which seems similar (didn't look at the differences).

Please keep us updated on how this runs and where you purchased all the bits/pieces (I'm in Canada as well).. I may just follow you down this path but I'll throw in an old drive instead of the USB boot.
guys have you considered how you will output your audio? alot of video card do not do audio via hdmi but video only. I have an ati eah3850 card which has 5.1. You can get a 4000 series that does 7.1 but its quite pricey. Also consider the noise factor like getting a silent cpu fan (that will fit into your htpc case) and a silent psu

my setup makes no noise at all.
initial Wrote:I looked up the board and the case. That looks like a reasonable setup. However, I didn't find the Intel DG45FC on the regular online stores I shop, only the DG45FCD which seems similar (didn't look at the differences).

Please keep us updated on how this runs and where you purchased all the bits/pieces (I'm in Canada as well).. I may just follow you down this path but I'll throw in an old drive instead of the USB boot.

Yah as soon as I get it up and running I'll let you know my stats. I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but here are some of the sites I use for parts...

http://www.a-power.com
http://www.atic.ca
http://www.etccomputer.ca

Good luck!
majorspawn Wrote:guys have you considered how you will output your audio? alot of video card do not do audio via hdmi but video only. I have an ati eah3850 card which has 5.1. You can get a 4000 series that does 7.1 but its quite pricey. Also consider the noise factor like getting a silent cpu fan (that will fit into your htpc case) and a silent psu

my setup makes no noise at all.

The MOBO I'm using has s/PDIF Optic out, so I'll probably just use the HDMI into my tv for the video, and the Optic out to my receiver for the audio (my receiver doesn't have HDMI).

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/mo...erview.htm
eQUIV Wrote:Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
Kingston 2GB DDR2 800

So I got the system up and running and it's great, plays everything flawless. Even killa sample, no dropped frames and low CPU usage. The only thing I've noticed is a bit of delay on long panning shots... but that is more XBMC related problem, not the hardware. The system itself is fairly quiet, barely noticable when it's running.

The only thing I'm trying to figure out now is getting my remote going. I have the original Xbox IR receiver with the USB dongle. I've used IRbox program/driver from setup tutorial on these forums.. however the response time is HORRIBLE.

Also, my motherboard lists a "Consumer IR receiver and emitter (via internal) " so does this mean I can setup any universal remote to work with this? And if so, does anyone with this motherboard have any idea how to set it up. The driver download section on the intel website lists no driver for this and have no idea what program i would use to work with it.

Any help would be appreciated.
[]
Check this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42848

Asus EEE-BOX 206 FULL-HD
Question 
Hi, I currently have the following system:

AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ (2.6GHz)
ASUS M2N-VM HDMI (NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV/nForce 630a)
2 GB of DDR2
250 GB for system, 1000 GB for data

running Atlantis on Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10. It's my main computer, so I use it with a full GNOME desktop, downloading stuff with Azureus etc. It runs 720p perfectly, but chops alot with 1080p. Aside from running a system only for XBMC, which I can't do right now, what do I have to do to run 1080p smoothly? Just put a better processor? Which approximated clock is recommended to decode 1080p stuff?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p Playback Hardware0