Simple remote control friendly skin/interface
Hi.
I believe that good HTPC software should have interface based on only 6 keys: 4 directional keys, select and back. Any feature the software support should be activated by navigating to a screen button or menu item. Even though it is possible to customize any remote control to use other keys, remember each key function and action in each software and screen is very confusing.
I'm using XBMC with PM3 skin, and though many features can be accessed using 6 keys only, there are still other functions that you can't reach that way (exit visualization, music context menu, all the "green", "white" buttons and so on).
Do you know about any skin that was built on the 6-keys concept?
Thanks.
Hi there, and welcome to the forums.

It's a keymapping issue rather than a skin issue. You can remedy much of this by altering keymap.xml, and obviously any suggestions in this regard are more than welcome!

I think you'll find that six buttons isn't enough as it currently is, though you can get close. I think it should be possible with 2 "select" buttons available currently (you need one for the context menu.)

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi Jmarshall,
Thanks for your reply. I think I was not clear in my post.
Of course I can map 2 more keys in my remote as workaround. However, doing this for each of the 4 or 5 applications I use in my HTPC, with each application has it own several different screens, result in a total confuse: It is hard to remember what exactly any button does in a each screen of any application. Now I'm in the photo slideshow screen - what was the button to zoom in? to see photo info? to go back to the menu?
Take a look at SesavTV frontend as example: Every feature (it doesn't have so much) can be accessed by navigating a cursor on the screen. In terms of UI it is far more intuitive then XBMC. Back to the slideshow example, if pressing "select" will pop up 4 small buttons on the screen corner (zoom in, out, back, etc) it will be much better then trying to figure which remote key was assigned for these actions.
Obviously stuff like this can already be done. It's either a keymapping problem or a skin UI problem for the most part, i.e. something that you personally can contribute to Smile

My point was that, though 6 buttons aren't quite doable at the present, I think with 7 it is possible to do everything you want. It requires both the skin to be designed with this in mind, and the keymap to be designed with this in mind.

We can get the skin out of the equation for the most part by implementing some of the trac requests (such as an OSD for the slideshow, which is currently missing). Obviously the skin will still be required to skin this though!

In order to improve things, there's several things that need to be done, but the key ones, which folk such as yourself can assist with are:

1. Identifying things that you can't do with 6 buttons.
2. Detailed proposals as to how this could be remedied.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ok, maybe I will do it.
Do you know any other applications that was designed with this "6 buttons concept" in mind? For example, I really interested in file browser (like windows explorer) that can be operated using 6 keys only.
I'm not sure of the specific number of buttons, but I agree with the OP's sentiment of wanting a skin that is intuitive for the whole family to use. I currently use the xTV skin, and I love it, but there are a few things that require pushing other buttons, which is not intuitve, IMO. I don't really see any reason why a skin like this couldn't be adapted (assuming it's possible within the skinning program model) to work more like a TiVo, for example. So, in addition to highlighting the "Movies" item on the home screen and "selecting" it, I could highlight it and navigate right to select and dig-down into the Movies section. When I find a movie I want and select (or navigate right), I would like it to bring up the Movie info screen, providing additional details and options, rather than having to press the "Title" key on my remote to do that.
Thread opened on feature request discussion http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=2...post280584

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Simple remote control friendly skin/interface1