any ways to speed up menus speeds for those using randomly changing wallpapers?
I have installed the wallpaper for my movies, tv shows, pictures, etc for AEON. But it's sluggish at times when you move around the menus because the image load randomly. I like to set it this way so it always changes. But is there any thing I can do to make it smoother? I heard someone say to convert all the png images into either bmp or tiff format? But wouldn't this result in larger files meaning it will take even longer to load up? I though jpg would be the best since its a compressed format and smaller file sizes should load faster?

I love the current setup. I just need to find ways to optimize this somehow so that when using the remote to go thru the menus will be a lot more smoother. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.
XBMC processes BMP's faster than any other file. I recommend using the program suggested on Aeon's site for conversions (I think its irfran?).
Ok I checked aeon's site and it says to convert them to uncompressed TIFFs. Will this make a big difference? If not I don't want to waste my time and convert hundreds of images only to find out it doesn't make a big difference. For anyone thats done this and can tell me if its a big difference on AppleTV please let me know.
I think _djh said TIFF was a mistake or typo. BMP with a smaller resoultion is the fastest way AFAIK. I have astandard def TV, so mine are 1024x576 Smile
pobhockle Wrote:I think _djh said TIFF was a mistake or typo. BMP with a smaller resoultion is the fastest way AFAIK. I have astandard def TV, so mine are 1024x576 Smile
Yep, I tried TIFF first and it was still slow, but BMP's were definitely faster. No idea how fast an Apple TV is though.
I put all the backdrops in their respective folders (movies, music, etc) and then use XPR express on them and rename it to backdrops.xpr. You can then choose this as your theme in the settings. The catch is you have to change the <imagepath>default</imagepath> entries in the xml's to place it should look. The xml's I change are the backgrounds.xml and all the ones that start with my. Also you need to add
<timeperimage>15000</timeperimage>
<fadetime>2000</fadetime>
<randomize>true</randomize>
below the <imagepath>default</imagepath> that you changed. It's kinda a pain in the ass this way when u want to add more bg's or a new version comes out but its the fastest way for xbox I've found. Btw all my bg's are 1280x720 bmp and load quick.
tonej5 Wrote:I put all the backdrops in their respective folders (movies, music, etc) and then use XPR express on them and rename it to backdrops.xpr. You can then choose this as your theme in the settings. The catch is you have to change the <imagepath>default</imagepath> entries in the xml's to place it should look. The xml's I change are the backgrounds.xml and all the ones that start with my. Also you need to add
<timeperimage>15000</timeperimage>
<fadetime>2000</fadetime>
<randomize>true</randomize>
below the <imagepath>default</imagepath> that you changed. It's kinda a pain in the ass this way when u want to add more bg's or a new version comes out but its the fastest way for xbox I've found. Btw all my bg's are 1280x720 bmp and load quick.

yes, that way works really well for optimizing xbox performance... i suggested it to a mate, and ended up doing it for him because he had issues as well... it takes time, so make sure ur really happy with the backdrops u've decided to use... but trust me, it works really well...

tonej5's instructions are perfect for the final means of optimizing xbox performance...
Would that make a difference with 1080p backdrops on an HTPC? Or is that mainly just for xbox?
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Would that make a difference with 1080p backdrops on an HTPC? Or is that mainly just for xbox?

i'm sure it would... the xpr is loaded directly into memory... but that's just what i've been led to believe... makes sense though...

should work on any system logically speaking...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
any ways to speed up menus speeds for those using randomly changing wallpapers?0