Any idea how to enable audio output through SDL for DvdPlayer
Hi there,

As you probably know the built-in movie player DvdPlayer will output audio through it's dedicated direct alsa interface which will ignore any SDL_AUDIODRIVER string defined by the user. My question is could any shed a light on how to force DvdPlayer to use SDL instead of alsa?

Many thanks
There is no SDL Audio code at all in XBMC and since you're posting this to the "Developer's Only" forum my answer is: Write a CSDLAudioDirectSound class and submit a patch Smile
CapnBry Wrote:There is no SDL Audio code at all in XBMC and since you're posting this to the "Developer's Only" forum my answer is: Write a CSDLAudioDirectSound class and submit a patch Smile

Don't have any experience in writing C++code. Have no idea how hard it would be. Any suggestions?
CapnBry Wrote:There is no SDL Audio code at all in XBMC and since you're posting this to the "Developer's Only" forum my answer is: Write a CSDLAudioDirectSound class and submit a patch Smile

By the way, how does the menu sound working? It seems it can use SDL, but could not found much in the code.
Oh yes the GUI uses SDL audio, but it uses very simple fire-and-forget Mix_LoadWAV, Mix_PlayChannel which are just for playing a sound effect and not streaming audio to. To stream audio to the SDL device you basically:
SDL_OpenAudio()
// set your sample rate / channels / bits per sample
SDL_PauseAudio(0)

Then SDL will start calling you back and you have to provide samples. This is slightly different than the ALSA/DirectSound devices work (they write directly) so you'll need to implement a buffer system to hold the data until SDL calls you back for it. If you're not a C++ programmer this may be difficult to construct depending on your expertise level in other languages.
CapnBry Wrote:Oh yes the GUI uses SDL audio, but it uses very simple fire-and-forget Mix_LoadWAV, Mix_PlayChannel which are just for playing a sound effect and not streaming audio to. To stream audio to the SDL device you basically:
SDL_OpenAudio()
// set your sample rate / channels / bits per sample
SDL_PauseAudio(0)

Then SDL will start calling you back and you have to provide samples. This is slightly different than the ALSA/DirectSound devices work (they write directly) so you'll need to implement a buffer system to hold the data until SDL calls you back for it. If you're not a C++ programmer this may be difficult to construct depending on your expertise level in other languages.

Thanks for your reply. Due to the very limited C++ knowledge, to write the code I have to borrow most of them from the net.

There is a very interesting article regarding the SDL_RWops which can set up the buffer for you. I will have a look and probably post some questions here.
http://gpwiki.org/index.php/SDL_mixer:Tu..._SDL_RWops

Many thanks indeed.
The article you linked again isn't for streaming data to the sound card. The SDL audio stack has two access methonds. One is for playing a sample, used for a sound effect which is loaded in its entirety before playing. The other is for continuous playback. All the Mix_* functions are for the first access method, but the dvdplayer needs the second. (Actually the Mix_* functions are probably wrappers to the second method so maybe looking at the SDL source for them is a good first step)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any idea how to enable audio output through SDL for DvdPlayer0