Hidden directories in console and SCP
First off, great idea with the Live version!!!!
Everything works great on everything I tested so far including a Lenovo X60T,
Lenovo T61, Acer Aspire One Netbook (a little odd video resolution but that was kinda expected) and a few misc desktops... but overall this is awesome and fun to use especially with the standard Microsoft Xbox DVD Playback kit remote!

Thanks to everyone involved!!!!

Anyway.........
If I am in the console or SCP into the XBMC PC, a ton of directories are hidden by default off root....

For example in console:
cd /
ls -la
results in nothing.... aside from up a directory

.... however if I:
cd /etc
it moves into /etc fine... same for /var ; /dev ; /mnt ; etc., etc., etc. ......

I searched around here and general searches via Google but I cannot find anything aside from the standard hidden files structure using dot(.) to hide files which obviously is not the case.

How can I change this so I can see everything normally?
This is more important for me for SCP access, but I will take anything now rather than guess what is in certain directories.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
psybertech Wrote:First off, great idea with the Live version!!!!
Everything works great on everything I tested so far including a Lenovo X60T,
Lenovo T61, Acer Aspire One Netbook (a little odd video resolution but that was kinda expected) and a few misc desktops... but overall this is awesome and fun to use especially with the standard Microsoft Xbox DVD Playback kit remote!

Thanks to everyone involved!!!!

Anyway.........
If I am in the console or SCP into the XBMC PC, a ton of directories are hidden by default off root....

For example in console:
cd /
ls -la
results in nothing.... aside from up a directory

.... however if I:
cd /etc
it moves into /etc fine... same for /var ; /dev ; /mnt ; etc., etc., etc. ......

I searched around here and general searches via Google but I cannot find anything aside from the standard hidden files structure using dot(.) to hide files which obviously is not the case.

How can I change this so I can see everything normally?
This is more important for me for SCP access, but I will take anything now rather than guess what is in certain directories.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

It's because of Live CD uses unionfs. See the mount options for unionfs, but I guess it won't help since it involves building your own kernel images even there is an option to enable that particular behavior.

For now you better guess, but it's kind standard.
Any chance this could change? Any one have insight how to change it on my own system?

It seems to be giving me problems when I run other applications after the Live install...
that "feature" is related to the unionfs mount in initrd.

I have modified the ramdisk scripts and now the filesystem is seen entirely.

You can get the updated files in the SVN, then google for an HOWTO on modifying the initrd image file.

Luigi
Thanks so much Luigi!

Do I need to reinstall the XBMC live system, or can I just edit that file and reboot?
if you are able to modify the initrd.img properly you can simply replace the one on the hard drive and you are done.
Just an update to this...I tried Luigi's SVN ramdisk scripts and still no luck...
you're right, the issue seems related to Hardy's unionfs since in Intrepid and Jaunty there is no such a hiding behaviour.
Sorry, you will have to wait a little bit for the next release...

L
Thanks Luigi. Sorry, I meant to mention all that in my post. I was just trying to keep everyone updated if they came across this thread.

Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hidden directories in console and SCP0