• 26(current)
Jittery Video?
pseudoheld Wrote:interestingly i only have this bug on fps. mostly its videos with 30fps almost all others play with no problems at all...
i find this pretty strange, seen as my tv runs on 60hz (like most LCD TVs) and 60 is a plural of 30 so you would think it should be easy to produce smooth playback Huh

Generally speaking, there are 3 types of video out there: Progressive scan, interlaced and telecined. XBMC's player will do well with progress scan and interlaced material but gets into trouble with telecined material.

Telecined material will be 30fps by the time you see it. "Telecine" is typically applied to content originally recorded with film. Film is typically (always?) 24 fps, progressive. NTSC video is 30fps, interlaced. Telecine is a method of converting 24fps progressive material to 30fps interlaced and have it play smoothly on a interlaced-display TV set. This whole process was created in the days of pre-HD TV sets, but still impacts a lot of what is transmitted over the air and available on DVD.

Typical material that is not telecined: Shows recorded in front of a live audience; news shows; weather shows; talk shows; TV comedies filmed in front of a live audience; game shows; etc. More generally, anything that was filmed using video equipment instead of film.

Typical material that is telecined: Movies & TV shows not filmed in front of a live audience. (ie, JAG, Desperate Housewives; Brothers & Sisters, etc). More generally, anything that was recorded with film and then converted to video.

As time marches on the industry is moving away from film & all TV's are capable of displaying progressive scan material. Perhaps at some point all telecined material will be a thing of the past, but it will be many years (decades?) before this happens.

Two useful references that explain more about the process:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/men...ecine.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

I can't say for certain this is the problem you are having, but I can say with certainty that the problem I have outlined has been present in XBMC's native player for many years and as far as I can tell has not been addressed as for version 10.1. XBMC needs a native player that can detect what type of video it is dealing with "on the fly" and adjust accordingly. MYTHTV's player does this.
thanks mate that was a very informative post! +rep for you.
i had another closer look at the files im having problems with in vlc and the codec info says it has 30.00056 (or sth like that) frames. so maybe its just a badly encoded file. but its still aparent that vlc handles this much better than xbmc.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jittery Video?1