Slow SMB Access and spinning hard drives
Hey all,

My XBMC boxes are potent and I have a decent server backing them. My library is large, about 16 TB spanning many 2, 15. and 1 TB Hard drives. I share them via smb.

I recently moved and retooled my setup. As a result, my main box accesses my windows 2008 rc2 server. The first access time is very slow though. I think it is because all of these disks spinning up at once. I need this to be quick, because the access time clocks in at about a minute now. Does anyone know how to make the drives wake up at boot or when the pc wakes from idle?

Thanks
I went into power management on my server and left my hard drives on. This definitely fixed it, but I'd prefer a low power solution if anyone has one.
Depends whether your server is going to sleep or just the hard-drives..

You could use a similar solution to the folks at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69245&page=12

Essentially, use HibernateTrigger or Task Scheduler (as described in the posts) on your XBMC boxes but modify the batch script they suggest to just ping your server which should wake it up if asleep (I think).

Alternatively, you'd have to change the batch script to 'touch' each of the HD's or shares on your server in order for the drives to wake up.. a very crude method would be to just copy a txt file to each share and then delete the txt file afterwards.. that will force the drives to wake up.

I'm sure someone else around here will have a more elegant solution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow SMB Access and spinning hard drives0