• 24(current)
Jittery Video?
bobo1on1 Wrote:If your refreshrate is 25 hertz and the dvd is 25 fps, it will play at 25 fps, but it will play a lot smoother, the effect can especially be noticed on pans (unfortunately for me and fortunately for everyone else I notice it all the time).

So does this work with the standard 'Adjust refresh rate'?

Only I run the GUI at 60Hz and ideally I still want the rate to change to 24Hz for 23.98/24fps video and 50Hz for 25fps but use the video clock instead of the system clock.
Hitcher Wrote:So does this work with the standard 'Adjust refresh rate'?

Only I run the GUI at 60Hz and ideally I still want the rate to change to 24Hz for 23.98/24fps video and 50Hz for 25fps but use the video clock instead of the system clock.

Adjust refreshrate should work fine with that (I hope, the general idea does, but I didn't test the actual implementation).
I'm so interested in this because after finding these sample videos:
http://spng.se/frame-rate-test/

I tested all of them with one of the latest SVN versions (one with the "adjust refresh rate" option) but it stills seems to me that most of them could be even smoother. I mean, my TV supports all of those frequencies, still, they didn't look 100% smooth to me on XBMC with "adjust refresh rate" turned on. And I made sure, by pressing 'Z', that refresh rate was being correctly detected and changed by XBMC.

And I'm wondering if this "smoothvideo" work you are having could possible be the fix for the jitter I'm seeing, or maybe my problem is different, I don't know what to think anymore lol...
bobo1on1 Wrote:Adjust refreshrate should work fine with that (I hope, the general idea does, but I didn't test the actual implementation).

it works... Smile I tested it... It switches to nearest refreshrate and then syncing to it...

DP
Cool, so all we need now is someone to make a build and share it.
Hitcher Wrote:Cool, so all we need now is someone to make a build and share it.

there's a build few post earlier. I leared how to build myself - can share the exe (not the setup, I am not THAT bright) later today...

DP
I made a few test with svn 18062.

Generally it works really great. My playback is COMPLETELY smooth. With the main brach i have frequent stuttering after a certain time. Pausing and restarting solves the problem than it starts again after a time. But with this branch it plays really smooth.

Here are the results:

1. If the default refresh rate is set to 24hz and i watch a 24fps movie, fps stays around 24 movie plays really smooth.

2. If the default refresh rate is set to 50hz and watch a 25fps movie fps stays around 50fps, movie plays really smooth.

The bellow settings were tested with auto adjust refresh rate on:

3. If the default refresh rate is set to 50hz and watch a 24fps movie fps counter stays around 24fps, and the movie and sound are playing really slow (around 12fps)

4. If the default refresh rate is set to 24hz and watch an 25fps movie fps counter stays around 50fps, and the movie and sound are playing really fast (around 50fps)

So all fine until i the auto refresh rate changer really changes the refresh rate to any direction. This way the refresh rate detection is not working properly.

Anyway it is a rellay cool feature. Thanks for this Bobo1ono1 !!

One question:

Why is the audio/video delay counter always show a little minus (-0.2, -0.4) It is set like that on purpose ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
alanwww1 Wrote:I made a few test with svn 18062.
3. If the default refresh rate is set to 50hz and watch a 24fps movie fps counter stays around 24fps, and the movie and sound are playing really slow (around 12fps)

4. If the default refresh rate is set to 24hz and watch an 25fps movie fps counter stays around 50fps, and the movie and sound are playing really fast (around 50fps)

Hi,

one question. Have you enabled V-Sync in XBMC? I got this behaviour when I used the "Let driver decide" under V-Sync options.
Asus motherboard
Intel i5 8500
6 GB RAM
Win 10 64bit
Pretty much same results as alanwww1.

I run XBMC at 60hz with auto adjust refresh rate on.

Watching 24hz movies the refresh rate switches to 24hz but with smoothvideo feature on makes the movie run extremely slow and choppy. (12fps sounds about right - I didn't have framecounter on)

(vsync is on in drivers and opengl triple buffering enabled.)

great feature and props to Bobo1ono1 - but not really usable for me at this time until I can find a fix for this.

@PolliSoft - I tried all 3 v-sync options in xbmc and had same result with all.

Maybe I'll try disabling driver v-sync and enabling it in xbmc only. Will try tonight.

What combo of vsync options are you using to get smooth playback with auto refresh rate switching?
Hi Pollisoft, Hando !

I am using xbmc on Ubuntu Hardy. There i only set the sync option in XBMC and i set the tripplebuffer in the xorg.conf file.

Playback of 24 fps files IS working just when you use auto refresh rate from a 50hz defult than it has the slow playback, but if the default is originally 24ht than it run really smooth.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
So what, if anything, does all this mean for those of us with TVs that can't do 24Hz? I think mine only does 60, but I'd have to check to be sure. I'm building a system this weekend to run XBMC to play Blu-Ray rips. Can smooth playback be achieved without a 24Hz TV?
RockDawg Wrote:So what, if anything, does all this mean for those of us with TVs that can't do 24Hz? I think mine only does 60, but I'd have to check to be sure. I'm building a system this weekend to run XBMC to play Blu-Ray rips. Can smooth playback be achieved without a 24Hz TV?

Check if your TV can do 50hz. Then XBMC can (should be able with the smoothvideo feature, if i have understood everything correctly) play 24fps@25 in 50hz (4% PAL-speedup), and you should get perfectly smooth video playback.
rehnmark Wrote:Check if your TV can do 50hz. Then XBMC can (should be able with the smoothvideo feature, if i have understood everything correctly) play 24fps@25 in 50hz (4% PAL-speedup), and you should get perfectly smooth video playback.

That's right. If your TV has 24, 48, 50, 72, 75Hz than you are ok. If only 60hz than you need 3:2 pulldown or telecline:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

I don't think xbmc implemented this feature yet. I think it could only be achieved hw accelerated. Maybe VDPAU will be capable one time.
alanwww1 Wrote:That's right. If your TV has 24, 48, 50, 72, 75Hz than you are ok. If only 60hz than you need 3:2 pulldown or telecline:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

I don't think xbmc implemented this feature yet. I think it could only be achieved hw accelerated. Maybe VDPAU will be capable one time.
Huh
I suppose XBMC already displays 24fps material in a 3:2 pattern when running at 60Hz. Are you saying that that is not the case?
dpassent Wrote:there's a build few post earlier. I leared how to build myself - can share the exe (not the setup, I am not THAT bright) later today...

DP

I saw that one but Bobo added more stuff later.
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jittery Video?1