• 4(current)
Jittery Video?
The recompiled ffmpeg libs did not do anything for me. Still jerky when film is panning.
Are there some like reference pans we can use as test samples so that we're all working from a common baseline? Anyone know any good clips?
Freddo Wrote:Are there some like reference pans we can use as test samples so that we're all working from a common baseline? Anyone know any good clips?

I don't know how to cut a piece out of an mkv to show you but it's pretty apparent in many pans in Planet Earth. The beginning few minutes of Episode 1 (Pole to Pole) have many slow pans that you can see the problem in.
I have pole to pole and don't really see it at all (only when the birds are flying!).

But i am on Linux so maybe things behave differently.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
The ideal pans are in Episode 2 from Planet Earth (Mountains). There's the climber at the beginning which is a slow pan and then an even longer one with the pool of sulfuric acid. I'm gonna try the new DLLs and report back.
ashlar: I just tried it (on Linux) and those scenes are fine. The fps fluctuates only between 23.88 and 24.05 (+- a few).

But it looked fine to me.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
could someone make some little snippets and post them on rapidshare or somewhere so I can try this out on my rigs? I have planet earth on hd-dvd but unfortunately its in storage at the moment so I can't test.
Not the best example, but the jumps are definatly noticeable in

Watchmen
Video Journal 7

http://www.davestrailerpage.co.uk/

Most noticeable in the two long vertical pans and the zoom in/zoom out on an actors face near the end of the clip. VLC plays it fine.

Make sure you are watching the video in fullscreen, with some distance to the screen, and try not to fix any specific points on the screen, but treat yourself to some relaxed watching. Wink This way the jumps are most apparent.

Also compare the video characteristics when watching the file in VLC (or any other player that hasn't got the problem) to those in XBMC. In XBMC the clip also feels a lot more "nervous".
tslayer Wrote:ashlar: I just tried it (on Linux) and those scenes are fine. The fps fluctuates only between 23.88 and 24.05 (+- a few).

But it looked fine to me.
Ok, I tried at 48Hz and 60Hz with the new DLLs. Same results: jerky, unbearable pans. At 24Hz everything seems pretty much fine.

The fps fluctuation happens in any case (I remember it worked like this on Xbox as well), but at rates different than 24Hz you definitely don't have smooth playback (even if no frames are lost, as in my case).
Wish I could help, but I don't have windows to compare Sad

Sorry.

ashlar Wrote:Ok, I tried at 48Hz and 60Hz with the new DLLs. Same results: jerky, unbearable pans. At 24Hz everything seems pretty much fine.
A clarification: at 60Hz you don't get the usual 3:2 judder that is expected from playing 24fps material. It's the same jerkiness that I see at 48Hz, which should instead be smooth at 2:2.
tslayer Wrote:Wish I could help, but I don't have windows to compare Sad

Sorry.
At what refresh rate is your monitor set?
It's my TV. It is at 60 I believe.

Still the same issue with the updated .dlls. It *might* be very slightly better, but its still off.

The mountains episode of planet earth is a decent test - about 3-4 minutes in, theres a few long pans. Youll want to focus on the far mountains in the background which are moving quicker, not the ones in the foreground. I'd suspect some people would have a difficult time seeing it even on my setup since its very small and quick fluctuations.
I'm having the same problem and seem to be able to consistently fix it. First, here are my specs: Dual core 2200 w/ 2 gigs ram and an Nvidia 8600 HDMI card. Btw, beta 2 is so much smoother than beta 1 and I can now play all of my 1080p movies perfectly with no sync issues. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now for the problem. It doesn't really matter if its 720p or 1080p, it happens on almost all of them. First, I play a movie and bring up the info screen. The frame rates fluctuate from 11-13 fps, hence the jittery playback. CPU usage under dual core is anywhere from 50% up to 75/80 depending on the format.

If I press the back button (or whichever button returns to the menu while the video is still playing) and then press play again on the movie, the fps jumps to 24 and dual CPU drops to 20% or less. This seems to work every time the problem occurs, just make sure the video is still playing when you return to the thumbnails menu--then play it again. I can usually resume or start from the beginning, either fixes it.

Can anyone else confirm this?

EDIT: The new ffmpeg dlls fixed the problem for me.

-Tom
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jittery Video?1