• 7(current)
Jittery Video?
mdaria510 Wrote:Btw, the anti-American jab is absolutely unnecessary and far from constructive. I'm well aware PAL territories use different standards, but the core issue of jittery playback remains unchanged in either case.

The TV will only output 100Hz when it receives a 50hz frequency unfortunately you cant supply it 100hz, or so it seems. If i supply it with 60hz i get massive tearing/shearing in all playback regardless of the source material. Switching to 50hz fixes the shearing but then comes the Judder which even seems to effect footage that is a multiple of the refresh, so maybe we are searching up the wrong alley here.

Minority! I don't think so, the Panasonic 42PX80B is the best selling TV in the UK this year, once the Windows XBMC word spreads further there will be many more people hear saying the same thing.

And if you think my comments are anti American then you are perpetuating the stereotype than the world has about Americans, chill! What I meant by "fortunately" was that in the past all we had was the likes of NTSC Laugh

Finally if you knew about PAL why did you make the comment about 60hz as it was clearly incorrect, and my first reply to your comment would never have existed.
A lot of UK TV's have a 60hz native refresh rate though, mine included.
Freddo Wrote:A lot of UK TV's have a 60hz native refresh rate though, mine included.

It's not native to the UK standard though is it. The point I'm trying to make is that the is no standard when it comes to HTPC's there are too many different source materials and display devices to just say a media player should output 60hz and that's it.
yes it probably does, but as a MAXIMUM refresh rate so it can display PAL (25fps - 50 or 100Hz) and NTSC (30fps - 60Hz refresh rate). Newer models have 24p playback option to play bluray, hdtv broadcasts (in US) without frame manipulation.. If you don't have 24p playback option, as 24 is not direct multiply to 60 or 50, you get at best case 1 dropped frame every second to mantain sync or some other form of pulldown or whatever. Every video I try on xbmc is either 24fps and I set my output to panasonic 42py85 to 24hz or 25fps and then I set it to 50hz and TV doubles it to 100hz..

EDIT: and I agree with Andydigital. Too many sources and you could set it to 60hz if you had perfect working judder, dropout free pulldown system which you dont.. For me, watching 24fps on 50Hz is not watchable in xbmc.. 60 would make it even worse.. Best system I saw was reclock but it has its own problems and it is directshow filter so no go here
akiaki Wrote:Every video I try on xbmc is either 24fps and I set my output to panasonic 42py85 to 24hz or 25fps and then I set it to 50hz and TV doubles it to 100hz..

How did you set the output to 24hz?
And what do you exactly mean on 24hz OR 25fps?
olympia Wrote:How did you set the output to 24hz?

Thats what I want answering. I can't see any options in xbmc to change this, and in windows the only refresh rate available to me is 60hz
You have to do it on the video card, use the control software for your graphics card. In my case I have to use the Force button in the catalyst control centre software for ATI GPU's and select Force>Refresh Rate> and then choose 24hz or whatever your desired refresh rate is.
Wow, I forgot that this thread is under Windows "tower". I am using XBMC Live, there I think it's more difficult.
olympia Wrote:How did you set the output to 24hz?
And what do you exactly mean on 24hz OR 25fps?

I wasn't too clear, sorry. I meant for 24fps I set the refresh rate to 24Hz, and for 25fps I set the refresh rate to 50Hz. This is all done in Windows, Ati control panel, and I set up a macro to do that over my mce remote so no getting up from my chair Smile
In any case, playback can be unacceptable at 60Hz too, per the original poster. That is definitely a majority of users. I hope this is taken care of.
Andydigital Wrote:You have to do it on the video card, use the control software for your graphics card. In my case I have to use the Force button in the catalyst control centre software for ATI GPU's and select Force>Refresh Rate> and then choose 24hz or whatever your desired refresh rate is.

can't be done with the Intel Drivers. There are very few options to tweak, Anyone know how this is possible?
daveUK Wrote:can't be done with the Intel Drivers. There are very few options to tweak, Anyone know how this is possible?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=947830 don't know if it could help. Wink
ashlar Wrote:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=947830 don't know if it could help. Wink

Saw that myself, but unfortunately it doesn't work with component tv-out as it cannot read the EDID data (only VGA, DVI and HDMI) and this is the only way to connect to my TV. Thanks anyway
daveUK Wrote:Saw that myself, but unfortunately it doesn't work with component tv-out as it cannot read the EDID data (only VGA, DVI and HDMI) and this is the only way to connect to my TV. Thanks anyway

Theres no way to output a 24hz refresh over component. Component is 50/60hz only (depending on your region). TVs won't accept a non-standard component signal.

The only outputs that are going to support variable refresh rates are VGA, DVI and HDMI. And even then there's no guarantees - the only TVs *sure* to accept 24hz refresh are 120hz TVs (probably most 100hz as well), and even then, probably only over HDMI.

If you've got an analog TV, your only hope for relatively smooth playback is for the bug to be fixed.
I just had a relatively weird experince on my WinXP system. I installed the modified uxtheme.dll so I could enjoy some custom themes. When I went to play some videos in XBMC everything was incredibly jittery. Sound played normally while video would slow down and speed up over and over again. This was strange because I had watched a movie earlier with no such problems. I uninstalled the modified uxtheme.dll and everything was back to normal.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jittery Video?1