[Apple TV] (fixed) Black screen after installing something
Hello

I just installed XBMC for Apple TV on aTV version 3.01
All went well, all the files are installed but unfortunately I have omitted to disable the aTV screen saver before clicking Relunch Finder in the newly added menu to the aTV
Since then I can longer control the aRV main screen (menu). Is there any solution to this problem, even via Terminal commands, which I am not very conversant with.
Thanks for any help.

PowerPC Cube
Mac OS 10.5.8
Apple TV 160 GB version 3.01
atvusb-creator-1.0.b13
yleibu Wrote:Hello

I just installed XBMC for Apple TV on aTV version 3.01
All went well, all the files are installed but unfortunately I have omitted to disable the aTV screen saver before clicking Relunch Finder in the newly added menu to the aTV
Since then I can longer control the aRV main screen (menu). Is there any solution to this problem, even via Terminal commands, which I am not very conversant with.
Thanks for any help.

PowerPC Cube
Mac OS 10.5.8
Apple TV 160 GB version 3.01
atvusb-creator-1.0.b13

ssh in
sudo reboot
davilla Wrote:ssh in
sudo reboot

Thanks for the hint.
I have typed the commands into Terminal, aTV rebooted but then it still gives me the black screnn while Apple Remote stays unresponsive. In other words, I cannot get to the menu screen.
Any other thing(s) / commands I should try?

Thanks again.
Do you have multifinder set to boot directly into XBMC? If so try this;

ssh in
cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Plugins/XBMCLauncher.frappliance/Contents/Resources/
sudo ./setMultiFinderMode.sh OFF
DV3B Wrote:Do you have multifinder set to boot directly into XBMC? If so try this;

ssh in
cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Plugins/XBMCLauncher.frappliance/Contents/Resources/
sudo ./setMultiFinderMode.sh OFF

I do not think so, at least I have not done anything else than installing XBMC on AppleTV through atvusb-creator (XBMC only runs on aTV since my Mac is a PowerPC).
I shall try that comand nevertheless and report back.
Thanks.
yleibu Wrote:I do not think so, at least I have not done anything else than installing XBMC on AppleTV through atvusb-creator (XBMC only runs on aTV since my Mac is a PowerPC).
I shall try that comand nevertheless and report back.
Thanks.

No go: same result, that is black screen and unresponsive Apple Remote.
Should I reset AppleTV to its factory settings and lose all data? Or is ther anything elsst that I could try before this last resort ?
If not, how do I do that without UI access to the main menu?
Thanks for your help.
yleibu Wrote:No go: same result, that is black screen and unresponsive Apple Remote.
Should I reset AppleTV to its factory settings and lose all data? Or is ther anything elsst that I could try before this last resort ?
If not, how do I do that without UI access to the main menu?
Thanks for your help.

Just a couple of additional details: the AppleTV's light activity indicator went black and AppleTV does no longer appear in my iTunes devices list. On the other hand, its screen saver is still active on my HD TV.
yleibu Wrote:Just a couple of additional details: the AppleTV's went black and AppleTV does no longer appear in my iTunes devices list. On the other hand, its screen saver is still active on my HD TV.

did you by chance install atvfiles ?
davilla Wrote:did you by chance install atvfiles ?

Yes, I have.
Shouldn't I have?
yleibu Wrote:Yes, I have.
Shouldn't I have?

yes, ssh in and remove it, then reboot.
davilla Wrote:yes, ssh in and remove it, then reboot.

What is the command to remove them?
Its because you haven't given the full path the the plugin

sudo mount -uw /
sudo rm -r /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Plugins/ATVFiles.frappliance
sudo reboot
It worked!
Thanks a lot for all your help.
I appreciate it.
Hey no need to remove it, just install a compatible version:

wget http://ericiii.net/sa/appletv/ATVFiles-1.3.0b1.run
chmod +x AtvFiles-1.30b1.run
sudo ./ATVFiles-1.3.0b1.run

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] (fixed) Black screen after installing something0