[Apple TV] Request ability to set Time-Zone from XBMC
Question 
This may not be specific to the ATV, not sure.....

But - how do I set the timezone now?
It used to be in the 'region' section of the settings on my xbox, but appears to be missing at the moment.....
My time is always showing GMT.
I just did a search on the board, and didn't find an answer either. I have the same problem. Not a big deal considering how easy this was to setup & use.
HI,

I found this some times ago when i was using Mythfrontend.
Link: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Ins...an_AppleTV

Fix the timezone

My AppleTV thought it was in Rome. If the timezone is wrong problems occur when scheduling recordings. To fix this add the following to /etc/rc.local (adjust as necessary for you location):

/bin/ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London /etc/localtime

Either run the file or reboot for this to take effect.

Good luck
Bob
1) slogin to your ATV
2) cd /etc
3) rm localtime
4) (for example)
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Moscow localtime
( studied /usr/share/zoneinfo catalog and give your zone.)
5) reboot ATV

Successes!
himik Wrote:1) slogin to your ATV
2) cd /etc
3) rm localtime
4) (for example)
5) reboot ATV

Successes!

Finally got it to work. For some reason it wasn't wanting to stick. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but now it shows the propper time. Tha was driving me crazy!
Thumbs Up 
himik Wrote:1) slogin to your ATV
2) cd /etc
3) rm localtime
4) (for example)
5) reboot ATV

Successes!

Many thanks! Big Grin
Thankyou, worked well.
Hey! I searched for "AppleTV timezone" and found this post. I'm a new XBMC for AppleTV user, having just moved from Xbox. Could someone work up a simple tutorial for someone not familiar with the above commands? I would like to change my timezone to USA EST using WinSCP and/or PuTTY.

I'm sorry and I feel stupid, but as a Windows user, I just don't understand the directions above.

Thanks!
Well, I assume you know how to login to the Appletv so:
1) login to the appletv using putty
2) cd /usr/share/zoneinfo
3) type ls to see the listing of the folder. Find your local time zone. The US has another folder you have to go into as do other countries. Eastern time would be usr/share/zoneinfo/us/eastern .
4) cd /etc
5) sudo rm localtime
6) sudo ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern localtime (Just an example. So again, you need to make sure you have the path correct for your time zone.)
7) sudo shutdown -r now (that will reboot the appletv)

Edit: Changed the instructions to include sudo in the propper lines per Kevin's feedback. Hope this helps anyone that isn't familiar with OS X commands. Just remember, if you get permission denied, you need to add sudo. Also, I take no credit for this. I just expanded on himik's instructions.
Thanks for the help, xeonicxpression! Your directions make sense, but I'm stuck at rm localtime. I get Permission denied. I looked up the rm command and learned that it means delete. So I launched WinSCP and tried to delete the file that way and received the following in an error box:

Error deleting file 'localtime'.
---------------------------
Permission denied.
Error code: 3
Error message from server: Permission denied
Request code: 13

I tried doing this both ways in the AppleTV menu and while running XBMC. I'm running Beta 2 on an Apple TV 2.2. Does anyone have any advice?
Did you put sudo infront of it? Try sudo rm localtime. If you can't get it to work I'll hook my appletv back up tomorrow and try it again.
That worked, xeonicxpression! Thanks!

At first I got the dreaded Permission denied when I typed in ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern localtime, so I figured, "Hey, maybe I should add a 'sudo' to the beginning of this command also." So I tried:

sudo ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern localtime

It worked! The XBMC guys should really add a way to switch timezones in XMBC itself. There has to be other folks out there rolling through the settings menus trying to figure out a way to change the clock!

Thanks again!
Glad to hear you got it working. I'm with you. It would be nice if they could provide a way to change the time zone. I'm a windows user, so like you I had to try and figure out the commands. Heck, the hardest part was trying to reboot the appletv using the command line, lol. Incase you didn't know, sudo gives you root privileges. That is just like administrative rights on windows.
Thanks so much for this post everyone, saved me some configuration time.

Remember to type localtime when setting, I didn't, and in my case New York, time was set to Eastern, not Eastern local which is -5GMT

Thanks again for the post...very helpful
I can't believe there is nothing in the Apple TV 2.2 settings that allows you to change your time. For me I am showing GMT time (Canada EST + 5 hours)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] Request ability to set Time-Zone from XBMC0