[Apple TV] Request ability to set Time-Zone from XBMC
zedzed Wrote:I can't believe there is nothing in the Apple TV 2.2 settings that allows you to change your time. For me I am showing GMT time (Canada EST + 5 hours)

So are you saying the suggestions in this thread are not working for AppleTV r2.2?

The native AppleTV OS and plugins have no need to show the time (zone) info so that's why there is no way to change it using the native plugins.
davilla - my bad - after the help in this thread I was able to get the time fixed in XBMC

My comment was about no way to set the time in the actual ATV 2.2 settings but yeah I can see your point that there is no clock and time is never shown in the regular 2.2

Thanks again for your great work.
Not to drag up all the joys of ATV time zone changing again, but I am hoping the developers might be able to offer some insight into this.

As per a previous post, I was having difficulty with this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...=time+zone

The resolution was a nuke & pave + avoiding the use of my old "userdata" contents. But not being able to restore my userdata folder is frustrating.

Last night I upgraded our TV from a 720p model to a 1080p model.
Any attempts at switching the ATV to 1080p output mode locked everything up .. so .. nuke & pave.

A fresh un-patched ATV 2.3 was able to switch the output to 1080p fine, so then I PatchStick'd, downloaded Launcher 2.2, XBMC 8.10 bf1, and then I patched the time zone. All was OK until I restored my userdata folder from my backup. Time zone was broken again and no matter how many times I RM localtime, etc and reboot, XBMC always says I am GMT.

Is there a correlation between /etc/localtime and frontrow's userdata folder ?
--> Mac Mini 2010, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, OSX Lion, XBMC Frodo 12.3
--> Pivos XIOS DS M3 w/Linux XBMC Frodo 12.2
--> Central MySQL database on a LenovoEMC px12-450r via Debian Wheezy VM
XBMC4Ever Wrote:Not to drag up all the joys of ATV time zone changing again, but I am hoping the developers might be able to offer some insight into this.

As per a previous post, I was having difficulty with this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...=time+zone

The resolution was a nuke & pave + avoiding the use of my old "userdata" contents. But not being able to restore my userdata folder is frustrating.

Last night I upgraded our TV from a 720p model to a 1080p model.
Any attempts at switching the ATV to 1080p output mode locked everything up .. so .. nuke & pave.

A fresh un-patched ATV 2.3 was able to switch the output to 1080p fine, so then I PatchStick'd, downloaded Launcher 2.2, XBMC 8.10 bf1, and then I patched the time zone. All was OK until I restored my userdata folder from my backup. Time zone was broken again and no matter how many times I RM localtime, etc and reboot, XBMC always says I am GMT.

Is there a correlation between /etc/localtime and frontrow's userdata folder ?

First need to see if we have a system or xbmc problem.

ssh in and type "date". Is the timezone correct? "date" uses system settings. If this is wrong, then "/etc/localtime" might not be correct.

"ls -l /etc/localtime"

localtime should be a symlink to your timezone.

For example, for me "/etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern"

What does yours have?
Hmph... interesting that I'm having a similar issue...

Updated to 2.3 from 2.2... reloaded all my apps and restored my userdata folder!

Now this

-bash-2.05b$ date
Tue Jan 6 06:25:33 EST 2009
-bash-2.05b$ ls -al /etc/localtime
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 30 Jan 4 07:30 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern

And it is currently 10:22PM EST ..
abem3 Wrote:Hmph... interesting that I'm having a similar issue...

Updated to 2.3 from 2.2... reloaded all my apps and restored my userdata folder!

Now this

-bash-2.05b$ date
Tue Jan 6 06:25:33 EST 2009
-bash-2.05b$ ls -al /etc/localtime
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 30 Jan 4 07:30 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern

And it is currently 10:22PM EST ..

wall clock time or XBMC time?
davilla Wrote:First need to see if we have a system or xbmc problem.

ssh in and type "date". Is the timezone correct? "date" uses system settings. If this is wrong, then "/etc/localtime" might not be correct.

"ls -l /etc/localtime"

localtime should be a symlink to your timezone.

For example, for me "/etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern"

What does yours have?

zoneinfo is correct ... symlink is "/etc/localtime - /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific"

date command displays "Tue Jan 6 03:44:30 PST 2009" except it should say "Mon Jan 5 19:44:30 PST 2009"

based on that, I would go with a "system issue" since XBMC is displaying what the system has .. BUT .. why does a virgin nuke & pave without restore of userdata work OK ?
XBMC4Ever Wrote:zoneinfo is correct ... symlink is "/etc/localtime - /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific"

date command displays "Tue Jan 6 03:44:30 PST 2009" except it should say "Mon Jan 5 19:44:30 PST 2009"

based on that, I would go with a "system issue" since XBMC is displaying what the system has .. BUT .. why does a virgin nuke & pave without restore of userdata work OK ?

not a clue but let's continue debugging the problem.

The AppleTV is using a ntp server to keep track of time. You can see this with "ps -ax | grep ntp". My returns the following:

Code:
103  ??  Ss     0:05.85 ntpd -f /var/run/ntp.drift -p /var/run/ntpd.pid

now try this

"sudo ntpdate -q time.apple.com"

ntpdate updates the time but it can't be done while ntpd is running. This command quires the time server but does not set the clock.

Do this command and post the result and what you think the time should be.
now to re-start the ntpd which will re-sync to a time server

Code:
sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/NetworkTime/NetworkTime restart

if you look at "/System/Library/StartupItems/NetworkTime/NetworkTime", it's a bash script that handles start/stop/restart command to ntpd

then "date" again to see if you are in sync now.
another fun command is

Code:
-bash-2.05b$ ntpq -p

remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
time5.apple.com 17.72.133.55     2 u  329  68m    1  238.091   -1.109   0.001

and

Code:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24116?viewlocale=en_US

has good info.

These should help track down time issues. If the system time is not correct, then XBMC can never be correct.

Things to remember, if the AppleTV cannot get to time.apple.com, then ntpd cannot keep the time in sync and will have to rely on the RTC. Time syncing is much more complicated that just talking to the server once.
davilla Wrote:not a clue but let's continue debugging the problem.

The AppleTV is using a ntp server to keep track of time. You can see this with "ps -ax | grep ntp". My returns the following:

Code:
103  ??  Ss     0:05.85 ntpd -f /var/run/ntp.drift -p /var/run/ntpd.pid

now try this

"sudo ntpdate -q time.apple.com"

ntpdate updates the time but it can't be done while ntpd is running. This command quires the time server but does not set the clock.

Do this command and post the result and what you think the time should be.

davilla Wrote:now to re-start the ntpd which will re-sync to a time server

Code:
sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/NetworkTime/NetworkTime restart

if you look at "/System/Library/StartupItems/NetworkTime/NetworkTime", it's a bash script that handles start/stop/restart command to ntpd

then "date" again to see if you are in sync now.

rackin frackin jickin rickin

OK .. tried both ... but both result in "Looking for host time.apple.com and service ntp" ... and it sits there f-o-r-e-v-e-r Sad until I Ctrl-C out of it.
Even tried re-enabled the Auto-Update for the ATV via Launcher 2.2 wondering if it was also looping the DNS lookup back to 127.0.0.1 but no joy.

Am I to assume that time.apple.com is down ? If I ping time.apple.com from my main system, it resolves to an IP but there is no response. Yet if I ping ntp1.dlink.com I get a full repsonse. <sigh>

I tried "sudo ntpdate -q ntp1.dlink.com" but it defaulted to time.apple.com ... so I assume we cannot choose alternate ntp servers ?
That would be nice if we change time servers.

After all this head-bangin' - it all comes back to Apple frackin' around ?
(or maybe some ISP somewhere killin' the link between here and there ?)
grrrr x 0~0 ... and somehow every time I nuke 'n pave, etc etc time.apple.com seems to be down at the same time.
How quaint !!! Smile
XBMC4Ever Wrote:rackin frackin jickin rickin

OK .. tried both ... but both result in "Looking for host time.apple.com and service ntp" ... and it sits there f-o-r-e-v-e-r Sad until I Ctrl-C out of it.

Am I to assume that time.apple.com is down ? If I ping time.apple.com from my main system, it resolves to an IP but there is no response. Yet if I ping ntp1.dlink.com I get a full repsonse. <sigh>

I tried "sudo ntpdate -q ntp1.dlink.com" but it defaulted to time.apple.com ... so I assume we cannot choose alternate ntp servers ?

After all this head-bangin' - it all comes back to Apple frackin' around ?
(or maybe some ISP somewhere killin' the link between here and there ?)
grrrr x 0~0

time.apple.com is never down Smile It's not "Apple frackin' around". Time servers are serious business. time.apple.com actually resolves to more than one time server at apple. These are stratum 2 time servers. Pretty high on the pecking order.

time.apple.com never responds to a ping, keeps the blackhat riff-raff out. It's pretty standard to turn off ping response from servers.

Code:
-bash-2.05b$ sudo ntpdate -q ntp1.dlink.com
Password:
Looking for host time.apple.com and service ntp
host found : time6.apple.com
Looking for host ntp1.dlink.com and service ntp
host found : ntp1.dlink.com
server 17.151.16.22, stratum 2, offset 17.955236, delay 0.26331
server 64.7.210.145, stratum 2, offset 17.957019, delay 0.25536
5 Jan 23:52:36 ntpdate[273]: step time server 64.7.210.145 offset 17.957019 sec

worked fine for me Smile Smells like a network problem. Hard firewall blocking ntp ports maybe?
davilla Wrote:time.apple.com is never down Smile It's not "Apple frackin' around". Time servers are serious business. time.apple.com actually resolves to more than one time server at apple. These are stratum 2 time servers. Pretty high on the pecking order.

time.apple.com never responds to a ping, keeps the blackhat riff-raff out. It's pretty standard to turn off ping response from servers.

Code:
-bash-2.05b$ sudo ntpdate -q ntp1.dlink.com
Password:
Looking for host time.apple.com and service ntp
host found : time6.apple.com
Looking for host ntp1.dlink.com and service ntp
host found : ntp1.dlink.com
server 17.151.16.22, stratum 2, offset 17.955236, delay 0.26331
server 64.7.210.145, stratum 2, offset 17.957019, delay 0.25536
5 Jan 23:52:36 ntpdate[273]: step time server 64.7.210.145 offset 17.957019 sec

worked fine for me Smile Smells like a network problem. Hard firewall blocking ntp ports maybe?

Well ... while you were carvin' my Apple peels, I went around to every device on my network (NAS, router, Tablet, Netbook, workstations) and set them all to sync with time.apple.com .. and they all did it quickly and perfectly.

Then, I went back to the ATV ... started a restart on the time service ... and by the time I got done my first paragraph, the ATV had updated properly. So ... (1) port issues ain't hap'nin (2) every other device hit time.apple.com like the wind; and (3) who knows why the ATV takes 4 times as long as every other wireless device to hookup with time.apple.com ...

Maybe I should email Mr Jobs and ask Cool

And if there's any frackin' to frack about, maybe it's Shaw this time ... d'oh
Although the coincidence is still quite odd.

Many thanks for your assistance Cruella DaVilla Smile
XBMC4Ever Wrote:Well ... while you were carvin' my Apple peels, I went around to every device on my network (NAS, router, Tablet, Netbook, workstations) and set them all to sync with time.apple.com .. and they all did it quickly and perfectly.

Then, I went back to the ATV ... started a restart on the time service ... and by the time I got done my first paragraph, the ATV had updated properly. So ... (1) port issues ain't hap'nin (2) every other device hit time.apple.com like the wind; and (3) who knows why the ATV takes 4 times as long as every other wireless device to hookup with time.apple.com ...

Maybe I should email Mr Jobs and ask Cool

And if there's any frackin' to frack about, maybe it's Shaw this time ... d'oh
Although the coincidence is still quite odd.

Many thanks for your assistance Cruella DaVilla Smile

Cruella DaVilla, haha, never heard that one .... not Smile
At first I thought it was not that big of a deal, but as time goes on the fact that my time on my apple tv is beginning to drive me nuts. I have followed the guides on the first few pages, but for the life of me cannot get it set to CDT . Any help would be appreciated. I am running the latest atv firmware with Chrystal hd.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] Request ability to set Time-Zone from XBMC0