Beta 2 "Out of Space"
Hi,
Before delving into any criticism, let me start by saying I'm a huge XBMC fan and I'm excited about the direction this whole Atlantis build is heading. It's an awesome piece of software and in most respects one of the most solid HTPC solutions out there.
Now comes the "please get it fixed" part:
I'm using a 4GB Sandisk Cruzer and ran into the issues described above. The workaround sugested (replaceing all Beta 1 *.img except the permanent storage one on the USB disk with the ones on the CD) worked. But, it's not exactly a solution to the problem.
In other words, the pemanent storage file creation on Beta 2 is broken, it creates a tiny *.img file.
Another thing I ran into is that even in Beta 1 the permanent storage file size is restricted to 2GB.
XBMC team, please look into this. I'm sure you'll hve it fixed by Beta 3.
Keep up the good work.
Q
if this issue had been a large one i bet there would be many more posts in these forums. So it's strange that no one else reports similar stuff.

However it's like said.. this issue would need more info and some more reports.
Well,

I have exact the same problem. I've tried 3 different usb-sticks on 2 computers and every time a small (70-150 mb) img file is created instead of the 3G or larger i requested. One stick is a 4GB Sandisk Cruzer , one a Dan Elec 4 Gb and one a 8GB micro-sd card in a converter. All sticks work fine in Windows.
I guess this is a valid issue ...

I have a question ...

If replacing img files of beta 1 with beta 2 ... does the OS files get changed too (since i assume since beta 1 .. changes and tinkering to the OS has been done)
After some research from my side i think there is something going wrong in installXBMC.sh with the PermanentStorageSize. Inside the function choosePermanentStorageSize the value of storageSize is in my case 3431 but after the return and before the dd command the value of storageSize is 103 and indeed is this the size of the ext3fs.img on my stick. Why the value is different from inside the function i don't know (i'm no linux guru Smile ), but i think it deserves another look.
I can confirm this is an issue, I have tried it on three different usb devices. All work perfectly on Beta1, none create the correct permanent file size on Beta2.

I tried with a 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb drive, all three were purchased within the last month and only used for XBMC/Live.

I don't have better analysis than has already been posted, but I can confirm odd behavior.
Same out of space problem here, see my post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=232...stcount=41

I had the similar problem with Beta1 installation too, I used 2 kind of USB pendrives.
just to add i have the same problem using a sandisk 4gb compact flash with a cf to sata adaptor
fixed in SVN
l.capriotti Wrote:fixed in SVN

Yes, I had same problem posted somewhere else url to post

For now I'll just update by replacing .img files with beta-2 versions.

thanks. glad it is fixed.
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
l.capriotti Wrote:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=ext3fs.img  bs=1M  count=<WHATEVER_SIZE>
mkfs.ext3 ext3fs.img -F

oke, this produces an ext3fs.img file....and then?
where do i put this?
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
I'm having the same problem as everyone else. Tried to install beta2 on two different USB-drives (4Gb sandisk and now 2gb kingston). I get less than 150Mb on /

Is there anyway to fix this without first downgrading to beta1?
What I did is created manually the ext3fs.img as Luigi suggested (3GB file):
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=ext3fs.img  bs=1M  count=3000
mkfs.ext3 ext3fs.img -F
Then just copied it over the existing ext3fs.img in the USB drive. After this no space problems. Beware that you lose your XBMC permanent data with this. So you may want to back it up 1st from /home/xbmc/.xbmc.
erix Wrote:What I did is created manually the ext3fs.img as Luigi suggested (3GB file):
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=ext3fs.img  bs=1M  count=3000
mkfs.ext3 ext3fs.img -F
Then just copied it over the existing ext3fs.img in the USB drive. After this no space problems. Beware that you lose your XBMC permanent data with this. So you may want to back it up 1st from /home/xbmc/.xbmc.

I did that and copied the file under windows xp to the usb stick root. but this does not fix it.

error states:
Code:
mount: mount on /dev/loop2 failed /permanentmnt : invalid argument

i was not able to copy the message, but it was something like that.

Huh

jochenz Wrote:I did that and copied the file under windows xp to the usb stick root. but this does not fix it.

error states:
Code:
mount: mount on /dev/loop2 failed /permanentmnt : invalid argument

i was not able to copy the message, but it was something like that.

Huh

*bump* please help...btw I am using XBMC Live beta2.

I already tried to go back to using XBMC Live Beta1, and then updating the USB drive. But for some reason Beta1-cdrom boots to a blinking dash in the upper left corner. On two computers. Burned fresh new CD. Same result. So only the Beta2 release boots fine, but leaves me with a "bad ext3fs.img" file. which I then replace with the handmade ext3fs.img file. But then the "mount" error prefents it from starting into XBMC.

please advise

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beta 2 "Out of Space"0