Problems with SMB shares
WiSo Wrote:Several times.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=236...stcount=15
So no smb in XBMC....for some reason I thought smb was native to Windows. What are native Windows functions (related to data streaming)? Also, why wait for Altantis to go away? And finally when is Atlantis over?

I personally find XBMC for Windows pretty much useless without smb or some way to access the video files on my other drives and servers....am I missing something?
direstrates :)
No major changes during feature freeze but since you seem to know everything about smb and windows submit a patch.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
direstrates Wrote:So no smb in XBMC....for some reason I thought smb was native to Windows. What are native Windows functions (related to data streaming)? Also, why wait for Altantis to go away? And finally when is Atlantis over?

I personally find XBMC for Windows pretty much useless without smb or some way to access the video files on my other drives and servers....am I missing something?

Why can't you just mount the shares as network drives?
WiSo Wrote:No major changes during feature freeze but since you seem to know everything about smb and windows submit a patch.
Ouch! I know nothing about smb and I truly wish I did and that I could help out. What gave you the impression I knew anything about smb/windows functions? I thought I was asking what they are?

I am sorry if my request for update information rubbed you the wrong way. I stumbled into XBMC and it seemed so promising....I was really just looking for some idea of when I may be able to use it. I understand more clearly now that it is completely driven by volunteers.
midgetspy Wrote:Why can't you just mount the shares as network drives?
I do not know how to do that? I have googled it and I still do not understand how it works.

I have several networked media players that I stream digital content to using smb, NFS and UPnP. My digital media is located on several different PCs and on a Linspire linux box (I call this a server but it is really a PC running Linspire linux).

When running XBMC on my PC I can access all of my digital media through XBMC. The problem is that when using XBMC on any of my media players I can only see the drives/folders directly attached to or installed in the PC that is running XBMC.

I do not as yet own an Xbox not do I have or ever intend to have an HTPC, so my problem is centered around streaming to either a Linkplayer2 or a CS615 or a MediaSmart.
XBMC contains still a lot of legacy code from the XBOX including the smb client which was ported from unix. Since porting involves a lot of effort the client is still very old for the windows port.
MS provides native functions to map a network drive via smb as local drive which I want to include in the next version. In the meanwhile you can to that by your own.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
WiSo Wrote:XBMC contains still a lot of legacy code from the XBOX including the smb client which was ported from unix. Since porting involves a lot of effort the client is still very old for the windows port.
MS provides native functions to map a network drive via smb as local drive which I want to include in the next version. In the meanwhile you can to that by your own.
Thank you for the information. I did try doing a standard windows drive mapping, and the drive is mapped but that still did not work in XBMC. I have taken enough of your time. Thanks again!
direstrates Wrote:Thank you for the information. I did try doing a standard windows drive mapping, and the drive is mapped but that still did not work in XBMC. I have taken enough of your time. Thanks again!

If mapping the drive didn't work in XBMC you have a problem that's nothing to do with flakey SMB code in XBMC. I have 4 sources using mapped shares and they all work perfectly in Beta 2.... maybe post a log or explain what you did and what didn't work.
midgetspy Wrote:If mapping the drive didn't work in XBMC you have a problem that's nothing to do with flakey SMB code in XBMC. I have 4 sources using mapped shares and they all work perfectly in Beta 2.... maybe post a log or explain what you did and what didn't work.
The mapped drives show up and work perfectly in XBMC on the PC but not on any of my media players when using XBMC. As I said above I currently stream digital media all over my house using smb, NFS and UPnP using Tversity, VMC, WMP11, Twonky and WIZD. I suspect that there is something not compatible, in regards to XBMC smb, between XBMC and my media players.

Are you using Windows? and are you streaming video to a media player or are you using an HTPC? I ask because if I were using an HTPC I would not have this problem.
Mapped drive: Z:\\Linspire\DVD1

When browsed to in XBMC to add a new share it shows as Z;DVD1. When I select this it shows C:\Documents and Settings\Jake\Application Data\XBMC\cache....this is as far I get.

In Network setup -->SMB Client-->WINS-Server 0.0.0.0 Should there be some other value here? If so, what would it be? I tried putting in the ip of my router but that did nothing.
dont map a drive to Z:. I think xbmc still uses z drive for the cache. use another letter eg a:,B: f: or other. Then it will work.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Win...content.3F
midgetspy Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Win...content.3F
Thanks. I have tried that as well.

BTW 'Could not connect to media server' scrolls across the botton of the XBMC screen...is that a problem?
what about WORKGROUP Huh

If you want to use "//Computer-Name/share" form, you have first to verify that...

I know it exist another syntax to specify and force the workgroup but I don't remember exactly.

bye

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with SMB shares1