folders/files containing umlauts not recogniced
Hi!

Folders and files containing umlauts (ä, ü, ö, ...) don't show up under XBMC LIVE.

Don't know if this a known issue and could not find any matching post searching the forum...
I just encountered a possible bug:
Whenever a file or a folder (on an NTFS volume) has a name containing a german umlaut (like ü, ö, ä), the files and folders "disappear" in the file view (and in the filemanager as well)
Hi!

I exprience the same issue and have already posted a topic about this a few days ago.

No reply/solution so far.
There is an outstanding bug on this, it should be the same issue?
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4663
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
looks like that's the same.

will see if it got fixed for the next release...
German umlauts are working fine on a "normal" ubuntu installations, so it seems to be a LIVE only issue.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
brutus or noumea can either of you please open a separate trac bug ticket and preferrably attach a zipped sample file for a Live dev to play with?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
There you go:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5175

I hope that this is OK, this is my first ticket Smile
noumea Wrote:There you go: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5175
Closed that because it is a duplicate of http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4663 (as XBMC Live runs XBMC for Linux)
Not it is not, Pike's issue is very specific when you move W32 XBMC ripped files containing non ASCII characters to XBMC for Linux.
It has been confirmed that otherwise umlauts work very well in XBMC for Linux, but as seen above we have two reports of them not working in Live.
Not sure if my issue is related but....

I have a harddrive on my XP system which is ext3 formatted. Is came out of a NAS external drive. I'm running a program on XP that allows XP to see it as a drive.

On that drive I have a shared folder, which I have added as a source in XBMC on my XBOX. Note that XBMC running on XP doesn't have the following issue.

Anyway, if I have more than 60 odd movies in the one directory, XBMC only shows 15 odd, the number varies depending on the filenames actually in the folder. The weird thing is that a filename like 13 days [2000].avi is not visable, but if i move it to a folder with less than the 60 odd movies it is visible.

Also, if I rename the file in the original directory to 13days [2000].avi i.e removing 1 space, it appears again.

Currrently to get around this issue, I have my movies in 3 folders with about 50 files each. This seems to work.

I have also noticed this issue with my music files....

Is it my ext3 formatted drive or SMB or XBMC doing this?

Thanks
Richard
sho Wrote:Not it is not, Pike's issue is very specific when you move W32 XBMC ripped files containing non ASCII characters to XBMC for Linux.
It has been confirmed that otherwise umlauts work very well in XBMC for Linux, but as seen above we have two reports of them not working in Live.

You can say you have 3 reports now. The problem also exists with spanish special characters (áéíóúñ etc).

I noticed some time ago but I needed time to research. I wanted to check a clean ubuntu install but I was quite sure that was fine... as you confirmed. It must be a live issue.

I'll keep an eye on this and the ticket.

As always... great work you guys.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

I just tried out the new live system 'atlantis'. The bug is still present in this new version.
noumea Wrote:I just tried out the new live system 'atlantis'. The bug is still present in this new version.

Same here.

I've done some advances in this matter I will publish very soon.

Just to give an advance, I was able to mount the volume telling to the mount command an option that informs that it is a utf8 partition... after this I can see the "special characters" files and folders...

I also managed to add a line to /etc/fstab to make that option when mounting automatic. It also worked.

The problems waiting to be fixed are:

When the system boots it seems that is does not read fstab when mounting volumes because I cannot see the special files. If I unplug the usb device and plug it again it works with the automatic mounting...

When I do this the volume is mounted in other place (first it was in /media/sdb1 and latter in /media/Woxter XVid (that's the disk volume name)). I assume the program that checks for new plugged devices is different that the one that mounts in the first place...

As you can see from my post I'm not an expert on ubuntu nor linux so I have to study to fix each step I take... But I'm gonna get there very soon.

If you wonder why I don't give now the commands to mount and to modify fstab is because I did this last weekend and now that I've installed XBMCLive 8.10 Final I lost that... Also I'm writing from work and don't have access to my XBMCLive...

This evening I'll go to it again. Hopefully soon you will hear from me again.

As always, Thanks to all XBMC creator for giving the best HTPC available...

Jur.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.

OK, time to share the progress.

The good news is that I'm able to see the files with special characters correctly, the bad is that I didn't manage to make it work from the boot... but I'm close.

But I wanted to give everybody a look at what I'm trying and let all of you, adventurous enough, give it a try.

First let my clarify. To do manual mounting and unmounting of volumes and to modify files in the underlying ubuntu linux installation that supports XBMCLive you need 2 things:

1. Access to the console of the OS. You can do this in the PC installed with XBMCLive (pressing Cntrl-Alt-F1) or from another PC via SSH (with putty for example). This has been covered in many posts in this and other ubuntu related forums, so please don't fill this post with questions about how to connect to the shell.

2. Changing files and doing manual touching on your XBMC Installation can be dangerous. The main risk is to make your system unbootable. Please, if you have little or no experience with Linux in general value the risks before doing what another Rockie has done with partial success.

OK... after all this let's go to the good part.

The main problem with this character thing is that XBMCLive (or the underlying OS) is not mounting properly the devices. If you created Your volumes from windows they probably where created with UTF-8 Character set. All we need to do is mount the volumes with an option that tells to use the proper character set.

This we can achieve it by giving a special option to the mount command:

Code:
$sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 -o charset=utf8

This will make the trick. The problem is that to be able to mount something first we need to unmount it with something like

Code:
$sudo umount /dev/sdb1

Once again we find another problem with this. As soon as we unmount the drive, there is a special process that is watching for usb devices and mounts it again (with the wrong parameters) as soon as you unmount it (you can see a message in the xbox screen telling you that a usb device has been detected and mounted)

Without jet knowing witch process does that, I found a way to keep it from automounting my drives... add a line to fstab file to inform the system about the volumes and the way to mount them correctly...

So you have to edit your /etc/fstab file... to know the right parameters you can copy the lines in the file /etc/mtab that shows the volumes mounted right now.

Code:
more /etc/mtab
/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permisions,blksize=4096 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,fmask=0133,dmask=0022,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

From this we can create our lines for fstab. Notice that the first parameter is the device to mount, the second is the point (directory that must previously exist) of mounting, the third indicates the type of device.
fuseblk indicates ntfs file system, in the fstab file we must change fuseblk to ntfs. I found this just trying things, so don't ask why.
vfat indicates fat32. We keep the same in the fstab file.
the rest are the options of mounting. I will suggest to keep the same you had (not mine) as they where working for you. Only add the option to make the system know to mount them as utf-8:

for ntfs filesystems: nls=utf8
for fat filesystems: iocharset=utf8

so my fstab looks know something like this:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 ntfs nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 vfat iocharset=utf8,umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

with this changes now the process doesn't try to automatically mount my drives when I unmount them. So I can do:

Code:
sudo umount /dev/sdb1
sudo mount /dev/sdb1

and tachaaaaann! I see the files!! And the same works for sdc1 (witch by the way was already showing the files, but with wrong characters. This is probably due to the file system being fat. So I guess that if you are reading this because you cannot see the files with special characters, that means your filesystem must be ntfs)

Anyway there are still some problems left.

As I mentioned before I noticed that there are, at least, 2 processed that do the job of mounting disks in the XBMCLive installation.
One is the used at boot time. This process mounts all available devices in the corresponding folder of the /media directory. This process reads the fstab file

The other is the automounter...

I also noticed that they mount the drives in diferent paths. At boot, the filesystems are mounted on /media/sdX1 (where X is a single letter a,b,c etc)
But the automounter mounts them in a folder like /media/VOLUME_NAME

This, aparently not important, is important if you are using the videos database. The data base stores the place where the file is so if you fill your data base after boot the this is mounted in something like /media/sdb1. After that if you unplug the drive and plug it in again will be mounted in /media/VOLUME1 and the library will not find your files...

I solved this changing my fstab file and indicating as mounting dir the one that the automounter process chooses...

With the modifications to the fstab file, this process will not mount automatically those filesystems anymore... and I don't like this...
It is true that the way I work those disks are always connected to the XBMC PC, and I copy things to them via network, but that could not be your case... also I want things to work better... so I'll keep investigating.

The other problem is that in the booting process... the "mounter process" reads the fstab file (as I can check for example if I change the mounting point) but apparently it ignores the utf8 option as when I start xbmc I cannot see the special files... If after booting I unmount and mount manually, everything works fine... This is much worse obviously, so I'll keep investigating.

IF, AT ANY MOMENT, an expert on linux is reading this and having fun... but wants to give any well informed advise... I'll be very grateful...

Anyway I have a lot of fun investigating, and I'm sure I'll solve it.

If you got to here... thanks for reading. Really.

Jur.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
folders/files containing umlauts not recogniced0