Optional indicators for low mem/bandwidth
I would like to see an option to flash an appropriate indicator or text on the screen when xbmc encounters either low memory or insufficient bandwidth/dropped frames.

This would pretty be like how quake and similar games have a lag and/or dropped packet indicator.

I understand that that enabling the debug log will display memory/framerate, however that can be very distracting when left on for normal viewing.

I make this suggestion, so that it is easier for the user (who may or may not be the technical person involved with installing/updating/maintaining xbmc) to see what may be causing problems.

To summarize, I feel that 3 indicators would be useful:
  • - low memory (less than 1 or 2 meg free, or whatever is deemed most suitable), useful when running in 1080i mode and using various skins/plugins/scripts that use alot of ram.
  • - dropped packets, useful when streaming over the internet or wifi and the network is not keeping up with the necessary read rate.
  • - dropped frames, useful when the content is too complex or too high resolution/bitrate to display properly.

Ideally, these indicators would still be showing on the screen in the event that xbmc 'freezes up', either temporarily or hard locked. This would provide an immediate insight into what what was happening that possibly lead to the freeze/lockup without having to dig through the debug log.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Optional indicators for low mem/bandwidth0