Rented DVD with CSS encrypted movie on Atlantis Beta 2
Hi all,

This is my first post here so, first let me tell you I think XBMC is already "the best" media center out there. You guys have done a great job! Many thanks to Davilla and all other developers responsible for bringing this AWESOME program to the Mac and the AppleTV.

I currently have Beta 2 installed on my AppleTV, an iMac Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz and a Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz. The Macs run Leopard 10.5.5 and the AppleTV runs 2.1 firmware with aTVFlash 3.3 (with nitoTV upgraded to 0.5.7).

I tried playing a DVD rental on all three systems with different results:

1) Macbook plays the CSS encrypted movie flawlessly on the internal DVD drive on both XBMC and Apple's DVD Player.

2) iMac plays flawlessly on DVD Player but does not play at all on XBMC. Only thing that happens is a new Play button appears on lower right corner of XBMC main screen. If I press the button, the screen flashes briefly, but the movie does not start no matter how many times I press the play button. Is there anything I can do to make it work on XBMC?

3) AppleTV with external USB DVD drive plays flawlessly on nitoTV since version 0.5.6 (which restored DVDPlayback.framework's support), but first showed the same behavior as the iMac on XBMC. Surprisingly, after a few attempts it eventually started playing the movie with lots of blocking and frame drops. Sound plays fine. I think maybe it's processor simply isn't fast enough for CSS encrypted media, but I decided to post here in order to have this cleared. Does XBMC player rely solely on the Pentium M processor , or is it currently capable of using hardware acceleration provided by nVidia's 7300 GPU inside the AppleTV? Anyhow, is there anything I can do to have it play CSS encrypted media on XBMC? This would be fantastic, as it would allow me to drop all other hacks and standardize on a single media center on all systems, with the added bonus of having to teach family members only XBMC's friendly and great looking user interface.

If there is some log file I need to post anywhere in order to allow you to better understand my problem, please do not hesitate to ask. Just make sure to provide the location/name of the needed files so I can find it precisely.

Thanks for you help and success with all your endeavors.

Cesar/Brazil
It appears someone is reporting similar problem as number 2) in a Mac Mini.

I tried playing the same movie with Apple's DVD player firtst and then with XBMC and can report the iMac is able to play rented DVD's with XBMC as well, as reported in above in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38833

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rented DVD with CSS encrypted movie on Atlantis Beta 20