• 3(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal Ubuntu Jaunty install with XBMC
guide should be updated to add:

Code:
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions

or the user will be unable to do any of the power related commands in xbmc

thanks to topfs2 for pointing me in the right direction
gyrene2083 Wrote:Ok so, I followed the guide and I can't start XBMC. This is the error msg I'm getting.

Code:
Failed to open connection to session message bus: Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session
Cannot get root display. Is X11 running and is your DISPLAY variable set?

If anyone can lend me a hand I'd greatly appreciate it.

I had the same problem. It was a conflict with a module that came with ubuntu or it came when I made the update, with the module that I downloaded from nvidia.com

When I tried startx, it showed something like this:

Quote:API mismatch: the client has the version 169.12, but this kernel module has the version 71.86.04. Please make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.

Ok, that's the command:

Code:
aptitude purge nvidia-kernel-common

Then I configure my TV resolution and Voila!

Now I have to see if the audio is really working...
Updated guide to Jaunty. Added ATI instructions (not tested) and Pvt_Ryan's fix (thanks).

If there are problems with the ATI instructions, please let me know what needs to be changed.

And you are more then welcome to use nano as a simpler alternative to vi. Vi is just what I use.

Removed the lirc instructions since the post was getting to long. I will keep them here for reference.

Add lirc support
In my case, I used information from this website: http://dlangenberg.googlepages.com/diycomputerremote to modify my old xbox remote for use with the HTPC:
Note: These following instructions only apply to those who use the old xbox remote like I did, if you want to use your own remote, choose the proper remote when lirc asks, and do not edit the lircd.conf the same way I did.

1. Install lirc:
Code:
sudo apt-get install lirc

2. Choose ATI/NVidia X10 RF (kernel) and no IR receiver

3. Now edit the keys to work with XBMC:
Code:
sudo mv /usr/share/lirc/remotes/atiusb/lircd.conf.atiusb /usr/share/lirc/remotes/atiusb/lircd.conf.atiusb.bak
sudo vi /usr/share/lirc/remotes/atiusb/lircd.conf.atiusb

4. Insert the following into the new file and save:
Code:
# brand: Microsoft Xbox DVD Receiever (also works with generic)
# remote control: Xbox remote or any remote using RCA DVD player codes

begin remote

name  XboxDVDDongle
  bits            8
  eps            30
  aeps          100

one             0     0
  zero            0     0
  gap          164000
  toggle_bit_mask 0x0

begin codes
          LEFT                     0xA9
          UP                       0xA6
          RIGHT                    0xA8
          DOWN                     0xA7
          SELECT                   0x0B
          1                        0xCE
          2                        0xCD
          3                        0xCC
          4                        0xCB
          5                        0xCA
          6                        0xC9
          7                        0xC8
          8                        0xC7
          9                        0xC6
          0                        0xCF
          MENU                     0xF7
          DISPLAY                  0xD5
          REVERSE                  0xE2
          FORWARD                  0xE3
          PLAY                     0xEA
          PAUSE                    0xE6
          STOP                     0xE0
          SKIP-                    0xDD
          SKIP+                    0xDF
          TITLE                    0xE5
          INFO                     0xC3
          BACK                     0xD8
      end codes

end remote

5. Now restart lirc or the computer:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart
Ok so first let me say that this is a great guide...ran through it last night and got everything to about 90% perfect. My first problem is trying to pcsp my pulsating logo to my xbmc. when I run the cmd "pscp.exe -r pulsating-logo xbmc@ip-of-htpc:/home/xbmc" in xp to transfer the file. I get "ssh_init: Host does not exist" I know the host exist because I used ssh/putty to install xbmc last night...

PS i am a complete noob when it comes to this... so please be kind to my ignorance.
I gotta ask first: did you make sure to replace "ip-of-htpc" with the ip of the htpc? Like you would if you were using ssh/putty, 192.168.x.x or whatever the ip is.
I always debootstrap to get a clean, minimal OS .

Just a tip Wink
draggy Wrote:I gotta ask first: did you make sure to replace "ip-of-htpc" with the ip of the htpc? Like you would if you were using ssh/putty, 192.168.x.x or whatever the ip is.

WOW do I feel stupid...no I completely missed that. Which is funny because I kept pinging the htpc and got really frustrated...thats what I get for doing it a 3am...sorry for being so careless...

Cheers.
Nice guide, worked really well for me, had lots of problems getting xbmclive running so thanks for this guide instead. :-D

Got one problem I can't seem to solve though.
How can I change the refreshrate? It recognizes 1280x720p correctly but it's always 720p @ 60Hz.
I added a modeline (1280x720p @ 48Hz) in xorg.conf but it's still 60Hz when booting into xbmc, very strange. Xorg log even says it's using my custom modeline.

using the svn ppa and integrated nvidia 9300 (driver 185.18.14)

Edit: NVM found this and got 48Hz working now :-)
These are some total noob questions but I've gotta ask:

- How do I manually update xbmc when there are future releases? What is the command?

- Do I ever have to perform updates on the Ubuntu OS and if so, how?

- I've read things about when I update Ubuntu or the Kernel, I have to upgrade my NVidia driver again...is that correct?

Sorry for the noob questions but I'm very, very novice when it comes to Linux. Thanks!

Nathan
To update your ubuntu installation from a terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
then:
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
that will update all packages on your system, including xbmc.

The NVIDIA driver does need recompiling after a kernel update, all you have to do is run this step again after you've updated and rebooted. Just run it in the place you stored the NVIDIA driver file:
Code:
sudo sh NVIDIA-*.run
You could also get an updated package of the driver first if you want to and replace the old one with a new driver.

If you plan to update a lot, and don't want to worry about compiling a driver each time the kernel is updated, you can always install ubuntu's repository drivers. Though they're usually a bit dated compared to the ones from NVIDIA's site. Just be sure to remove the current driver first.
Annoyingly enough, I get a:

W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 9F10E6AE9317790E

How important is this?

I also get a:

WARNING: You appear to be using a modular X.Org release, but the X library installation path, 'X: warning; process set to priority -2 instead of
requested priority 0
/usr/lib', reported by `/usr/bin/X -showDefaultLibPath` does not exist. Please check your X.Org installation.

when doing the nvidia thingie on my ashrock ion 330.

Edit: None of them seem to matter and i am able to start it fine. Now to connect it to the reciever and see what happens ^^ Wish me luck.
After you add the xbmc repositories to your sources.list and before updating, you need to get the key for the PPA first:
Code:
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 9317790E

I don't know what kind of xorg error a that is, are you using the minimal cd like the guide says? Did you choose the correct driver when going to nvidia's site?
draggy Wrote:After you add the xbmc repositories to your sources.list and before updating, you need to get the key for the PPA first:
Code:
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 9317790E

I don't know what kind of xorg error a that is, are you using the minimal cd like the guide says? Did you choose the correct driver when going to nvidia's site?

Yupp, and yupp to the questions. But! I think I might see where it went wrong. I think I skipped either step four, or step five part 2. But it seemed like the updates still worked, alltho it asked me if I was sure I wanted to download the unverified packages. But all in all, things did work out even without it tho.

Now Ill be trying to get my darn sound over hdmi to work. Thanks alot for the guide!
Thanks for the info...after doing more research I've found that apt-get dist-upgrade is the only thing that will upgrade my Kernel....an apt-get upgrade alone won't do it...at least from what I found in my reading and testing.

Now when I have to recompile the NVidia Driver after a Kernel upgrade, if I chose to download an updated package do I have to uninstall the current driver? I guess a better question is when do I have to uninstall a current NVidia driver? Let's say I have an NVidia Driver I installed previously and then the following week a newer package was released...if there was not a kernel upgrade during that time, would I need to uninstall the current driver first? My next question is why do I need to recompile after a Kernel update but not uninstall and recompile? Is there some tie into the Kernel and the updated Kernel breaks that tie? I'm not saying I'm going to be updating things every time they come out...I'm more trying to get a better understanding of how things work. Thank you again for all of your assistance and knowledge!

Nathan
I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to make such an intuitive guide. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Nathan
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal Ubuntu Jaunty install with XBMC6