• 6(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal Ubuntu Jaunty install with XBMC
Ok, I solve my problem. I install Ubuntu mini 9.04 from scratch and now my xserver is working correctly. Than I install the newest developer release of xbmc and it doesnt work. So I go back to the official version 9.04.1.
Regards Jarny
Made some minor fixes to the guide per suggestions, thank you to all who commented.

I only hope this guide has helped you in some way.
Can someone please explain simply why this method is better than:

a) Installing XBMC Live to HDD?
b) Installing using the Guide mentioned a few posts above?
c) Installing a full Ubuntu and then XBMC.

I'm guessing the Lite install is faster but can it do anything else other than XBMC?
No one said it was better, it's just an alternative.

My guide is very similar to the guide in the wiki, which I guess is the "official" guide. For awhile the wiki guide was broken while mine still worked.

I created this guide when there was no official xbmc minimal linux install guide. When the guide in the wiki was created, it was very similar to mine, with the exception of some custom tweaks to make it more like XBMC live.

This guide is designed to run xbmc and only xbmc, of course if you want to do other things with it, be my guest. One of the best parts of running xbmc on linux is customizing it to what you want.

And yes, a minimal install is faster then a full desktop install.
Is this guide up to date today? I tried the mini guide in the wiki, but it did not work. error 404 on alsaup.sh No
I just want to follow a guide that works today..Rolleyes
Hopefully someone can help here.

I followed the instructions in this tutorial and everything worked great except for one area. When I went to run alsamixer, I had Master volume but I didn't have PCM listed anywhere.

I have set in XBMC that the audio output device and passthrough output device should be HDMI. I know the port is working because I can get audio when I'm running Windows 7.

I'm using a Zotac IONITX-A-U with NVIDIA driver 185. I tried updating alsa via the wiki but it looks like that location doesn't exist anymore. Anyone know what I might be missing to get audio through HDMI?
Alsa upgrade on Ubuntu
biggles Wrote:Alsa upgrade on Ubuntu

I was finally able to upgrade Alsa but unfortunately that didn't fix my problem. Still no audio through HDMI and PCM doesn't show up in alsamixer. Any other ideas? Thanks.
One (possibly stupid) question: I used to update weekly on my xbox with new builds. Once installed per this how-to, how do you upgrade to the next xbmc SVN version?
I find that the svn ppa works quite nicely for up to date builds:

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

Code:
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 64234534

Make sure to back up your .xbmc folder before upgrading just in case Wink
indeed that is what I added. The "missing link" for me is what command to use to update the existing xbmc install in the terminal (the obvious is of course right under my nose...)
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
You should see xbmc in the list of stuff to upgrade

If this system is already setup, depending on how you did it and if there's a new kernel, you may need to reinstall the nvidia driver
Couldn't you just do:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
That way he's not updating all the other stuff, just XBMC?!
Thanks for a nice guide worked like a charm Smile
Hi, thanks for a great guide! XBMC running smooth now, finally without gnome Big Grin Had a little problem with HW acceleration though. Since my ATI-card is no longer supported (got an old ATI Radeon X1600 Pro, running Karmic), i had to use the default radeon-driver. The problem was I only got HW acceleration when I ran xserver as root, and only software rendering when I ran as any other user. After a bit of googling, I final found that I didn't have permission to use the video card, because I wasn't added to the "video"-group. Don't know if this is a common problem, but if anybody is experiencing similar problems, just add yourself to the video-group with the command:

Code:
sudo adduser <username> video

Worked like a charm. Also had to use "/etc/init/tty1.conf" instead of "/etc/event.d/tty1", but I believe this is Karmic-only...
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal Ubuntu Jaunty install with XBMC6