Best OS for Atlantis?
rwparris2 Wrote:Right click>rename

Man my brain hurts now, I'm gonna go take a nap.

Last time I checked windows does not show file extensions by default.
ﻪﻥﻋﺸﻷﻜﻈﭚ
If I could play PC games on the thing, it would be Vista... but no idea if that's possible... is it?
xb2iris Wrote:If I could play PC games on the thing, it would be Vista... but no idea if that's possible... is it?

what do you define as games?

you can use the python launcher to launch... mame orwhatever..
I agree that with the introduction of LIVE it's now really a personal thing...
...btw if you want to use MS go with Windows FLP as I said in a previous post
I'm running XBMC on 3 xboxes, 2 linux machines,one windows XP and run XBMC Live on the windows machine also for comparison purposes. I only use as a media center ( no games) and this includes using XBMC as a front end to by Mythbuntu standalone Mythtv backend.
My comments on the different systems are as follows ( Note I'm a reasonably experienced linux and windows user but certainly no guru. Specific issues I mention below have already been posted in the relative forums.

1. Xbox, 3 hooked up to 32" LCD 720p TV, analogue out to external amp, harmony Xbox 360 remote, 52" LCD 1080pTV with digital out to external amp, 24" LCD Monitor analogue out to standard speakers. Works great with all the different setups. Only comment, and maybe this is just me, but navigation with a gamepad seems to be simpler /more intuitive than with a remote but obviously gamepad doesnt suit a serious media center setup.

2. 2 linux machines both using analogue sound to pc speakers, one with 21" CRT other 24" LCD, both using Widows MCE remotes, one running Ubuntu 8.04 and one running GOS 3.0 which is based on Ubuntu 8.04. One has nvidia graphics and the other ATI. Very simple install and set up, remotes work out of the box, works flawlessly with my setups in both windowed or full screen mode . On a negative note if you use a mouse to navigate rather than an remote its sometimes a bit awkward and menus that you don't want pop up as you move the mouse around particularly in windowed mode.

3. Windows XP MCE machine, connected to 52" 1080p LCD TV, digital out to external amp. Windows MCE remote. Had some issues installing with an older nvidia graphics card and also with a recent ATI Raedon, after switching to more modern nvidia card installation was very simple. Issues are: Out of the box the MCE remote only works for a few functions with many important functions missing. Can use the keyboard to control but not optimal for an HTPC. Getting the remote to work well with both XBMC and Windows MCE requires a fair bit of extra work. Secondly although sound through the digital output is fine with videos and movies when playing live or recorded TV from Mythtv the sound stutters and repeats itself.

4. XBMC Live, run on the above windows machine after install to USB stick. Very simple to install and MCE remote works perfectly out of the box. Issues are: Doesn't detect correct screen resolution and to get running at full resolution requires using a new xorg.conf and isn't straightforward. Secondly despite following all the advice in the forums I cant get any sound at all from the digital output. Thirdly it connects to the mythtv backend and displays the channels and programs but then wont actually play the LiveTV.
I had thought that with my linux experience it would be easy to play with the files on the USB stick, read the error logs and modify files and settings appropriately as per linux and xbox versions but its not that easy. ( I admit I need to spend more time reading up on this).

So based on my hardware, usage requirements etc I would say that if you want to move from the xbox, linux would be the best option. If windows and XBMC live work out of the box on your hardware then obviously these would be great options also particularly if you aren't using with mythtv. I think XBMC Live has great potential to offer a set top box type experience, just not quite there yet.

Apart form solving the issues I have the two features I would most like to see are :
1. The unified PVR front end with full epg that is being developed ( cant wait!)
2. When running numerous different setups would be great if all the library info was held with the actual data rather than individually on each machine. ( I know this has already been suggested)

Many thanks to all involved in XBMC development- the best media center software by a long way!
from this topic all i'm getting is i like windows better .. no i like *nix better

no one is stating which one runs better .. specifically i'm talking about hardware accerlation and 1080p mkv's. at the moment i use osx and i love it .. however the lack of hardware accerlation is a problem .. i can play files but the cpu usage skyrockets to nearly 100% and certain high bitrate clips can bog down the system and cause frame droppage. is this an issue also on linux and windows builds ??
TinyVista here...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best OS for Atlantis?0