[LEOPARD] Cannot play DVDs on Mac Mini using XBMC Atlantis Beta 2
Question 
Heya,

First great job with the new releases, I never expected XBMC to be released outside of the xbox world Smile

Here's the issue I'm having:

If put a dvd video in my mac mini, XBMC detects it and shows the 'play dvd' option. However, selecting it doesn't do anything. If I quit xbmc and start it back up, I get the same behavior. However, if I quit xbmc, start the apple dvd player, close it and launch xbmc again, then the dvd plays fine. Is this a bug in the current release? Is there a workaround?

This is using Atlantis Beta 2 under Leopard (v10.5.5)

Cheers
EMHMark3,

It appears I have the same issue, as reported in:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38789

After reading your post I tried playing the same movie/disk with Apple's DVD Player in the iMac first, and subsequently with XBMC. I got the same results as you. What puzzles me is the fact that on the Macbook it works without the need to play with DVD Player first...

If other users report similar results, I guess this may eventually be considered a bug and have a hotfix.

Best regards,
Cesar/Brazil
cesarvog Wrote:What puzzles me is the fact that on the Macbook it works without the need to play with DVD Player first...

I had actually tried beta 1 on a macbook and it worked... I assumed this was an issue in beta 2 -- have you tried beta 2 on a macbook?
All testing was conducted on Beta 2, never tried Beta 1.
Has any dev been able to replicate this problem? I opened a bug report (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5167) but it doesn't look like it's been assigned to anyone.

I tried the 'open apple dvd player first' trick with a few dvds, and it doesn't seem to work with all of them: works on my stargate dvds, but when trying to play 'the incredibles', I get a lot of digital noise in the video (like when you have bad satellite tv reception)
I've noticed the issue but haven't had a chance to investigate it properly.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Oddly enough, the trick worked with The Incredibles DVD here (region 4 DVD)... Also worked with ALL Disney titles I tried.
Has anyone looked into the problem?
Here's what I get out of syslog when I try to play the DVD.

Code:
# tail -f /var/log/system.log
Dec 19 19:33:10 osx2 [0x0-0xcd5cd5].com.teamxbmc.xbmc[62206]: Using key code for OSX 10.5
Dec 19 19:33:26 osx2 kernel[0]: disk1: ioctl(_IOW,'f',126,4) is unsupported.
Dec 19 19:33:26 osx2 kernel[0]: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x05, ASC = 0x6f, ASCQ = 0x03
Dec 19 19:33:26 osx2 kernel[0]: disk1: privilege violation.
Dec 19 19:33:26 osx2 kernel[0]: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x05, ASC = 0x6f, ASCQ = 0x03
Dec 19 19:33:26 osx2 kernel[0]: disk1: privilege violation.

Oh yes, this is a Macbook

Code:
Model Name:    MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacBookPro4,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:    2.4 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache:    3 MB
  Memory:    2 GB
  Bus Speed:    800 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:    MBP41.00C1.B03
  SMC Version:    1.27f1
Hey all,

because I'am experiencing similar problems I thought I might add something to this thread.

The systems I am using XBMC on is an iMac with Leo 10.5.6 and an Apple TV firmware 2.3. I (obviously) have XBMC installed on both and get kind of the same behaviour when playing (CSS encrypted) Video-DVDs.

If I start XBMC with a DVD inserted (I use the PM3 skin) I get the little "DVD play button" down on the right corner. When I press that button I get the language selection screen (DVD is a region 2 "Van Helsing") and after that it goes straight back to the menu. In my home folder it was creating a new folder in the .dvdcss folder for that DVD. What I did on my iMac was to start the apple DVDPlayer software and there it was plaing the DVD without problems. So I thought why no try it again in XBMC and what can I say now it's plaing the DVD but very choppy and blocky. Out of curiosity I deleted the subfolder in the .dvdcss folder and started the DVD playback in XBMC again and no more choppy playback just the way it should be!

Changing to another DVD I have to do the same thing again (first starting to play it with DVDPlayer and then in XBMC).

I get the same behaviour on my Apple TV (with an external DVD drive attached) just using nitoTV instead of DVDPlayer soft.
All the Video-DVDs are purchased originals (region 2).

So you might say, well you have a backup solution on both systems... that's true, but especially on the Apple TV I would rather use XBMC for playback because it is much more comfortable than nitoTV in my opinion.

To me it seems that both DVDPlayer and nitoTV which don't use libdvdcss (correct?) somehow change something so that the DVD can be read differently (or read properly at all) which can be seen in the fact that after playing a DVD with either, XBMC or the respective lib reads the CSS Keys differently.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge in DVD de/encryption is willing to take a look at this with me. Just tell me what more info you might need.

Cheers,
Juergen
Playing real DVDs on XBMC for Mac has been borked from day one. If you first play the DVD using the Apple DVDPlayer, it seems to work but that's not a solution.

This issue is under active debugging right now, been working on it the last few days.
Thumbs Up 
That's great to hear! If I can be of any help just let me know.

Cheers,
Juergen
I couldn't play DVDs in XBMC until I set the region, which I had to do with Mac OS X's built-in DVD player. After that, they played fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LEOPARD] Cannot play DVDs on Mac Mini using XBMC Atlantis Beta 20