Using non-apple remote with Mac Mini?
Heya,

I just installed XBMC on my Mac Mini, and was wondering if it's possible to use a remote other than the apple remote. Specifically I'm trying to use my old Xbox remote (the apple remote seems to lack a context menu button). Is that possible? I tried selecting the 'universal remote' option in the settings menus, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Cheers
Yes you can use remotes other than the Apple remote with the Mac Mini but you will have to buy a new IR reciever if the new remote is not capable of learning the commands of the Apple remote.
Hm the apple IR receiver can't be used with any remote? The issue with the apple remote is that there just arn't enough buttons to cover all the desired functions, and that wouldn't be solved by emulating the apple remote on another remote.

As a side question, is there a way to map the contextual menu to a button of the apple remote? Maybe as a long press of the play button?
EMHMark3 Wrote:As a side question, is there a way to map the contextual menu to a button of the apple remote? Maybe as a long press of the play button?

That is what the contextual menu is mapped to. I have Beta 2 installed on my AppleTV and holding the play/pause button for a couple of seconds brings up the contextual menu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using non-apple remote with Mac Mini?0