Help Needed With Networking ATV/IMAC/XBMC
I successfully installed XBMC and Boxee using the ATVUSB patchstick.

XBMC is looking good and running fine. However, I cannot for the life of me get it to find all of my media. I have all of the media on two external hard drives which are attached to an iMac. The iMac is attached to a US Robotics wireless router/modem.

XBMC can connect to the internet to check weather. The iMac is also connected to the internet. I have enabled UPnP on the router. I have disabled all security for troubleshooting.

I loaded XBMC onto the iMac as well and clicked "Enable UPnP Server" I then browsed around and selected the various folders I wanted it to serve.

When I go back to XBMC on the ATV, and browse to add a source nothing under UPnP is showing up.

Anyone have some tips for getting this working? I am open to using SMB or anything else that will work.

The iMac is plugged into an Ethernet Jack and has wireless, the ATV is plugged in to ethernet and can access the internet that way, but it will not show up in Itunes unless it is running on wireless. Perhaps that has something to do with all of this.
Exclamation 
I can see your problem here, there are two different types of uPNP (Universial plug and play).. which is great for people to get themselves into a mess.

The type of uPNP your router supports is where if your computer needs a port forwarding (for likes of bit torrent/skype/multiplayer games etc) then enabling uPNP on the router will make this port allocation automatic. This is good in theory but bad idea if you want to keep tabs on security and if you have a windows box on your network then I would seriously think twice about enabling it (as malware could open mail ports or back doors or whatever as easily as Skype etc could).

The other type of uPNP is a uPNP server. So the idea is that rather than supporting a load of different protocols etc the server broadcasts itself across your local network and any devices that can connect to a uPNP server do so and it all works nicely.. But as far as I know the u in uPNP is not so great and for instance.. I have a uPNP server running on my mac so my PS3 can get access to the media on my mac (http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink).. but they also do a different product for the xbox360, if things were universal then it would just be one server.. I don't know if this is the developers way to sell more than one server wanting to serve out xbox and ps3 content at the same time or (more likely) different implementations of the uPNP system making different versions of a server necessary.. anyway.. I can't seem to connect my appletv to the ps3 version of the software (but i have only made a small attempt so far, so it may need a little bit more work).

I hope that this at least lets you know why you were not able to get it working OK.. If not giving you a solution to your problems.
Thanks for the info. I have also been working on setting up a vnc server on my home computer. Once that was up and running, it seemed to solve all of my XBMC problems. I can now see my shares. Still trying to figure out exactly why though! Must have enabled some sharing that was not configured properly for the XBMC.Big Grin

Now onto trying to figure out controlling everything with this silly apple remote.
I'm needing help in a similar matter. I have xbmc running on the aTv but its not connecting to my pc. I have installed ccXGui on my pc and running xbmc through the router it works fine. However, the aTv does not see the shared files. I also noticed that the weather on the aTv is not updating. The aTv does connect to the internet, and does stream to my iTunes. I am not very good with IP addresses and I think this is where I'm hung up.

Help.
I have posted info on setting up smb with-in xbmc on another post. Please goto my site and download the .pdf file. It has pictures also to walk you though it. Enjoy!!

http://public.me.com/jeparkinson

download - ATV SMB XBMC 2.pdf

This should get you going...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help Needed With Networking ATV/IMAC/XBMC0