Working usb sticks
I propose a success and fail USB thread to narrow down issues. Heres my info.

Tried
Kingston DataTraveler 1GB Model Number DT100/1GB (NO BOOT)
SanDisk Cruzer Micro 512MB Model Number SDCZ4-512 (BOOT, NO INSTALL)

Big GrinSanDisk Gator 4GB Model Number SDCZP-4096 (WORKING)

Please post Brand, Size, and Model Number (Usually On The Stick... Sometimes On The Tip Of The Insert Point I.E. Metal Part)

I actually bought six sticks because so many people post "Well I used a Kingston 1 Gig and worked."Stare Kingston makes several 1 GB sticks and not all work, as you can see above.

Lets make this project as easy as possible for people.

Thanks.
Hehe, I was planning on doing just the same tread.

I (think) I have a working one - Transcend JetFlash V30 2GB

But I didn;t think it worked as I "dd"'d from Windows, but the crucial part it seems it to unmount the drive using the "mountvol F: /D" command (where D: is the drive letter the USB stick appeared as).

Once I found out that bit it seems to have an open SSH for me - now to figure out what to do with it Smile
Kingston DataTraveler 2GB = Doesn't Boot
Sandisk Cruzer 2G = WORKS
Apida 512MB = Boot but Doesn't work (this worked on the windows version)

Apida 512MB has worked before with awk ssh manual. In fact with the old awk ssh manual it was the only one that worked with the 3 listed... So I guess 512MB will not work.
PNY Attache 4GB - worked (needed to format it once before using atvusb)
Sandisk Cruzer Titanium 4Gb.
dafranca Wrote:Kingston DataTraveler 2GB = Doesn't Boot
U3 Cruzer 2G = WORKS
Apida 512MB = Boot but Doesn't work

Apida 512MB has worked before with awk ssh manual. In fact with the old awk ssh manual it was the only one that worked with the 3 listed... So I guess 512MB will not work.

People have used 512 sticks, they just didn't post brands, and I was notified that the 512 image does fit and work on a 512 stick "Officially". That's why we need this list. If you can use a $5.00 512MB stick we need to let people know so they don't buy the $30.00 4GB stick as I did, when I only use it for loading ATVs.
Kingston DataTraveler 4GB = Doesn't Boot
Patriot Signature 4GB = WORKS
i used a sandisk cruzer 1gb (mini size, but dont know the exact model name)

i removed the u3 stuff before, but it errored during making the patchstick, with permission denied errors, but was only for the PATCHSTICK hfs+ volume that is mounted, not the boot partition, so i was able to manually copy the files from the install directory to the usb stick's partition and it worked fine.
Ativa™ USB 2.0 FlipTop Flash Drive, 4GB = WORKS
HP 4gb model P-FD4GB-HPV100W-FS works
sdaniels Wrote:People have used 512 sticks, they just didn't post brands, and I was notified that the 512 image does fit and work on a 512 stick "Officially". That's why we need this list. If you can use a $5.00 512MB stick we need to let people know so they don't buy the $30.00 4GB stick as I did, when I only use it for loading ATVs.

Most of the 512MB USB sticks doesn´t have 524288KB for the instalation. That is why most of it boot but doesn´t works. You may find one that works as much you see a blue moon.
dafranca Wrote:Most of the 512MB USB sticks doesn´t have 524288KB for the instalation. That is why most of it boot but doesn´t works. You may find one that works as much you see a blue moon.

And that's why the atvusb-creator image does not assume full 512MB size. It's slightly undersized at 500MB to account for flash drive size differences.
davilla Wrote:And that's why the atvusb-creator image does not assume full 512MB size. It's slightly undersized at 500MB to account for flash drive size differences.

I would sugest 470MB to be on the save side.
PNY Mini Attache 2gb = works
dafranca Wrote:Kingston DataTraveler 2GB = Doesn't Boot
Sandisk Cruzer 2G = WORKS

Kingston 2GB DataTraveler 110 worked for me

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Working usb sticks1