soft subs disappearing
i'm having an issue with xbmc linux that i'm not having with and older version of xbmc for xbox.

while playing an mkv with softsubs, the subs will stop/disappear. if i play the video from the beginning, the subs take longer to stop, but it does still happen. if i skip/seek though the opening sequence, the subs stop much quicker. this happens with all of the mkv files i have tried.

here is the platform info:
Linux xbmcpc 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP i686
xbmc from /ppa.launchpad.net_team-xbmc-hardy_ubuntu_dists_hardy_main_binary-i386_Packages
version 8.10b2-hardy1 rev 15810
xbmc.log:
http://www.pastebin.ca/1225265

the older version of xbmc on the xbox is:
XBMC pre-2.1 (compiled Jan 6 2008)
Mplayer XBMC-SVN-r10070-4.1.2 (Dec 26 2007)

if one of the devs needs to look at the file, please pm me and i will provide ftp access or i can up it somewhere.

any thoughts?

thanks,
porter
no one has a a comment for this?

even posts that ask if the hw specs are enough get at least 1 reply Tongue

thanks
porter
I have noticed this many times, it is especially annoying when changing from one of the embedded subtitles to another. Sometimes the subtitles disappear and don't come back even if I try to skip forward or backwards.
i agree it is rather annoying.

what i find interesting about his issue is that i can use my old xbox w/ xbmc and it works fine. as you can see in my first post, that version of xbmc is about 9 months old.

Hopefully we aren't the only ones with this issue and the devs think it important enough to fix before the atlantis release.
I have a similar problem with the Windows version: most times, the subtitles at the start of the video aren't displayed. I've uploaded a sample here that should show the subtitles from the beginning but shows them after 20"

Could you test it just to be sure that is a bug?
i'll be happy to try it later tonight and post back any results i find.
I can also confirm that this is an issue. has been trough some rels now.
However i can not manage to find a reasonable way to reproduce the bug. On my system it's more or less very random at what point this occurs.

As soon as i can track down more usable info for the devs i gonna post some more info.
i find the issue will happen at the same time index in one video, every time i play the video. in another video, it happen at a different time index, every time.

in other words (made up times) episode 1 will stop playing subs 3:36 (minConfusedecs) every time i play it. episode 2 will stop playing subs at 5:24 every time i play it.

it would seem that it is the file, but it happens to the entire series as well as other series in an mkv container.
@A600 the sample you uploaded displayed the subs for the length of the vid, at least on my setup.
porter Wrote:the sample you uploaded displayed the subs for the length of the vid, at least on my setup.

OK. Thanks for trying.
The-Boxhead Wrote:I can also confirm that this is an issue. has been trough some rels now.
However i can not manage to find a reasonable way to reproduce the bug. On my system it's more or less very random at what point this occurs.

As soon as i can track down more usable info for the devs i gonna post some more info.

make any progress? what else can i post to help troubleshoot the problem?

i have an admittedly shallow understanding of how softsubs work, but is it possible that the player (which seems to be ffmpeg from the log) is losing track of when it should put up the sub?
the behavior of starting the video, changing the audio stream (subs are already enabled), and letting it play *seems* to let the subs last longer before they stop. skipping ahead/backwards *seems* to stop the subs sooner.
Added ticket #5241 to trac
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5241
@porter

I'll see if I can replicate tonight.
Subtitles - Serious Business
@bmfrosty - check your PM

i sent you some info...
The subtitles at the start of the video issue that A600 is having. I thought that may be the same as the issue where when you switch audio streams, it jumps forward and the video has to speed to catch up. Like stream switching is off by a few seconds or more, and takes some time for it to kick in.
Subtitles - Serious Business

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
soft subs disappearing0