Getting XBMC working on Apple TV (using only windows)
KevinSartori Wrote:You're having the same problem I had. You need to get a larger USB stick!

I tried a 2 GB PNY Attache and it made it through the dd-removable process. I had a problem at first with access denied and switched to another USB port on my pc and it worked. Go figure. I just chalked it up to another wonder of the Vista world. Thanks for the help. I'll try to boot atv tonight and see if I get it going. Boxee and xmbc here I come. Thanks again for the assists.
This post was a huge help. I had some small issues but it went more smoothly than I could have imagined under Vista. Thanks for this great post. Now I'll start enjoying ATV the way it should be.
Lumpsack,

care to set up a wiki page? I might have some interesting additions to get the 'windows nOOb' user going on getting USB mass storage to work 'windows only' way. (including USB hub, keyboard, mouse etc)

Please let me know, and if you lack the time, I'll do it for us.

-HF
when connecting to the apple tv, winSCP states:
WARNING

The server's host key was not found in the cache. You have no guarantee that the server is the computer you think it is.

The server's rsa key fingerprint is:

If you trust this host, press Yes. To connect without adding host key to the cache, press no. To abandon the connection, press cancel.

Continue connecting and add host key to the cache?

YES, NO, CANCEL COPY KEY

What do I do from here?
buzzz84 Wrote:when connecting to the apple tv, winSCP states:
WARNING

The server's host key was not found in the cache. You have no guarantee that the server is the computer you think it is.

The server's rsa key fingerprint is:

If you trust this host, press Yes. To connect without adding host key to the cache, press no. To abandon the connection, press cancel.

Continue connecting and add host key to the cache?

YES, NO, CANCEL COPY KEY

What do I do from here?

Select 'Yes', it's normal behaviour for first time usage. You would get a similar warning (or more strongly wording) if the IP address of your PC changed.

Go ahead :-)

-HF
THanks for your help Pooh on my last question...now, when I go to copy the file XBMCLauncher-0[1].4-debug.run, the initial directory that appletv boots up to is /mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow

Is this the folder I want to copy this file to? and if so, how do I do the next step with Putty to run the file? I tried dropping it into this file and then running Putty but it couldn't find this file when i typed:

sudo sh ./XMBCLauncher-0[1].4-debug.run

It says -bash-2.05b$ ./XMBCLauncher-0[1].4-debug.run: ./XMBCLauncher-0[1].4-debug.run: No such file or directory
Hi Buzz,

Target directory on your ATV is correct: /mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow

You might want to set the 'executable' permission for this file correct (*nix is different from windows ;-) ) meaning, by default you can not simply 'execute' a file (even as root) if the file has not the correct permissions.

Try this:

Go into you ATV with putty (good thinking there, you should end up in /mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow)

then enter the below command on the putty console:

sudo chmod 755 XBMCLauncher-0[1].4-debug.run

then enter the password fro frontrow which is 'frontrow'

Then try to execute by entering the one you know:

sudo sh ./XBMCLauncher-0[1].4-debug.run

and it should or could ask for the frontrow password which is frontrow, and off you go....

Enjoy your latest investment ;-)

-HF

ps. Please don't think of this permission thing as a 'bad' thing. In general, *nix (stands for all kinds of Unix flavors) is and was always ahead of it's time regarding security vs Wondoze. So try to see this as 'logical' and secure, instead of it's difficult ;-) The reason why virtually the complete internet is running *nix machines :-)
You can safely say YES as long as you trust your ATV
Anybody of the windows users interested on how to enable USB mass storage or USB in general? Just checking to see if it worthwhile documenting step by step thingy.

-HF
Sounds like an interesting project Pooh. After I figure out the Boxee install the USB storage would be a good project. Take this as one yes vote. (Thanks for your help.)
jhauer Wrote:Sounds like an interesting project Pooh. After I figure out the Boxee install the USB storage would be a good project. Take this as one yes vote. (Thanks for your help.)

This should get you going pretty easy on Boxee

http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launcher/

-HF
Definitely interested in the USB storage...trying now to install perian.component but I am struggling...You the man pooh
you guys might be interested in looking at this thread on boxee's forum to enable usb.

http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=814

use winscp to upload nitotv plugin and the 10.4.9 combo update to appletv.
use putty to connect via ssh and perform terminal commands.
docbrown Wrote:you guys might be interested in looking at this thread on boxee's forum to enable usb.

http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=814

use winscp to upload nitotv plugin and the 10.4.9 combo update to appletv.
use putty to connect via ssh and perform terminal commands.

Yep, that's the way I was trying. Just the combo update 10.4.9 was missing in my attempt, so USB is not fully functional yet.... (anybody see a de-installer for nitoTV? ;-)

"USB Storage HDD: family specific matching fails"

diskutil list shows:
/dev/disk0
#: type name size identifier
0: GUID_partition_scheme *37.3 GB disk0
1: EFI 34.0 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_Recovery 400.0 MB disk0s2
3: Apple_HFS OSBoot 900.0 MB disk0s3
4: Apple_HFS Media 36.0 GB disk0s4
/dev/disk1
#: type name size identifier
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *232.9 GB disk1
1: Windows_NTFS 232.9 GB disk1s1

The last row shows my USB disk, so I guess I was left out of the correct .kext modules that are in the combo update....

Thanks!

-HF
have you tried running smart installer again with combo update in ~/documents ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting XBMC working on Apple TV (using only windows)2