Getting XBMC working on Apple TV (using only windows)
docbrown Wrote:have you tried running smart installer again with combo update in ~/documents ?

Yep I did, displayed log says 'already patched....'

Should be ~/Documents right (Capital D) ?

Thanks

-HF
Yep, got it and it works like a charm. Boxee is impressive. Now I have to tweak to get hulu less choppy. I'll be playing all weekend with Boxee.
ok, little update on my 'USB enabling' venture.

It tuned out that USB WAS enabled, but NTFS (My USB disk was NTFS formatted) is NOT supported by default..... Hence the HD not showing up on my ATV....

I'v erased and reformated the disk from within the ATV on the console (USB disk connected) with:

sudo diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 1 JournaledHFS+ USB 149G

1. /dev/disk1 = my usb disk as shown by the command 'diskutil list'
2. '1' = partition the disk as 1 big partition
3. JournaledHFS+ = MAC filesystem
4. USB = Disklabel name
5. 149G how big the partition should be

et voila! All of a sudden the USB disk appears on my ATV/XBMC etc..

Output of 'diskutil list' now shows:
/dev/disk1
#: type name size identifier
0: GUID_partition_scheme *149.1 GB disk1
1: EFI 34.0 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS USB 149.0 GB disk1s2

Thanks,
-HF
Hey, I ran into a problem and solution that I thought I would share here. After going through Lumpsack's procedure to make my Ativa 4GB USB drive bootable for AppleTV, I discovered that my USB drive was partitioned into a 1GB stick. No amount of formatting in Windows would remove the partition. Windows' Disk Management wouldn't let me delete or change the partition either. After some research, I found that the only tool able to completely wipe a removable USB drive and format it is a program called:

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8

It's freeware and can be easily located with Google. The tool is super simple to use:

Select your USB drive under Device.
Select FAT32 or NTFS under File system (FAT32 is more compatible).
Change the Volume Label if you like and hit the Start button.

Although it looks a lot like the built-in Windows format option, this tool will wipe the partition when doing a format, allow you to format in NTFS and there's even an option to create a bootable DOS drive!
Thanks for the detailed guide lumpsack... i was able to easily SSH enable my ATV 2.2

Edit: I am using Vista... didn't have any problems
am i missing this but should a microsd sdhc card and usb adapter do the same. I have a 2GB from kingston.

It doesnt even look like it will boot. I have a 1GB kingston and 8GB sandisk as well.

Just trying to get this going.

Do i need a true usb flash drive. I have one but a friend is using it. its a sandish cruzr from about a year ago 2gb variety .

Im sorry i havent seen a wiki on this yet.

Also after it says records in / out is there a step to unmount the drive as it does not recognize as a drive letter in vista anymore.

it reboots to appletv screen as normal
Sorry if these questions are stupid but i thought i had it and then it didnt boot at all. denied on putty, etc. I dont see any visual confirmations on screen.

Please help
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
If apple tv boots up as usual, it would mean the USB drive did not boot. I would try again with a normal usb flash drive... dont know if the microsd + usb adapter supports booting an OS. Somewhere on the forums is a list of drives known to work
I went shopping and bought 4 diff usb sticks today. will post results.
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
hey im stuck.

I spend over 60 bucks on usb sticks and it isnt working right. Ive tryed to follow your instructions and it doesnt seem all that difficult. I must be missing something.

First of all i seem to have issue with certain .img files for patchstick. I am new at this and have been reading for like 14 hours now.

i have like 5 usb sticks around. one should work i suppose.

I can see it at the kernel and it is booting then it just stops toward the end. runing T2 2.2 update to the OS> if i restore it goes back to 1.0

i am issuing the following commands.

J is my volume and the dd.exe --list comand shows the following info. Harddisk1/Partition1

So here is what i am typing.

1. mountvol j: /D
2. dd.exe --list
3. dd.exe if=Patchstick.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition1 bs=1M --progress

It always shows Harddisk1/Partition1 BTW and Volume J for any removable drive unless i change the volume letter.

It says 500 in 500 / or 1011 in / 1011 out after about 3-4 minutes , I have both a 1gb and 512mb image. Not sure of the sources though.

Im trying a really am.

The most success ive had is it shows the kernel booting and then keeps showing a waiting line or something. yellow led on front of ATV just blinking at this point. Activity from the usb drive stops.

Do i have corrupt patchstick images. I can only find them on torrent sites etc.

This is stumping me. Ive done tivos , the xbox live installand other things with linux. but this i dont get.

I have a 2GB PNY Attache (reads)
2GB Sandisk Cruzer (reads)
4GB Sandisk Cruzer Reads i think)
2, 4 KGB Kingston MicroSD Flashes (Stopped trying)

Copy and Paste
\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition1
link to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume8
Removable media other than floppy. Block size = 512
size is 2038399488 bytes

Virtual input devices
/dev/zero (null data)
/dev/random (pseudo-random data)
- (standard input)

Virtual output devices
- (standard output)

C:\Users\nc88keyz\Desktop\APPLETVXBMC>dd.exe if=ATVPatchstick2.1.img of=\\?\Devi
ce\Harddisk1\Partition1 bs=1M --progress
rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
Written by John Newbigin <[email protected]>
This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details
1011+1 records in
1011+1 records out

C:\Users\nc88keyz\Desktop\APPLETVXBMC>

edit: worked fine on xp
Culprit = VISTA

Did the exact same commands. works fine on vista.

I will test all the sticks over the days and make a shopping list for you at walmart.

The 2GB PNY Attache is a definate. 12.99

Im pretty sure the kingston Microsd i have worked too since all of these booted and stopped the same place.

records are exactly the same in and out too on vista and XP. something is ugly with vista though.

XP Forever!!!!

worked fine on xp
Thanks for the help.. I have tried the above and each time I'm having issues, most likely its the boot image that I'm using. Is there a known good copy of this image that is hosted by a non-adult related site that anyone knows about.

I dont have a mac but I do have an Apple TV 2.2 and I'm desperately wanting to get xbmc up and running..

Does anyone also know if a Windows ATV usb version is coming out?

thanks

Jason
jhammond,

try using xp if you can. All my issues went away.

i think the bay has what you seek (verified and working)
Since atvusb-creator for windows is taking some time to pop out, I'm going to setup an alternative method for Windows users. This will be a pre-populated disk image that installs a) ssh, b) binutils, c) XBMC Launcher and d) SoftMenu.

This pre-populated disk image will have a dummy boot.efi that will need to be replaced with the real boot.efi extracted from an AppleTV update.

Packaged with this disk image will also be the command-line tools required to fetch the AppleTV update (wget.exe), extract boot.efi from this update (7z.exe) and inject it into the disk image as well as write it to a USB flash drive (dd.exe). The final step of writing the image to the USB flash drive will have to be done manually as I don't want to risk creating a script that might/might not detect the desired target USB disk properly.

Minimum USB flash drive that is supported will be 256MB.

Look for it tomorrow/late tonight. It will be a download at the atvusb-creator web site.
Just a few tips I wanted to throw out there that may help some of you. I was having difficulty getting an install on Partition0 of my sticks, said access denied, so per someone elses note here I tried another USB drive on my computer and was able to get it to install on Partition0. This is very important as installing on Partition1 caused the boot process to get stuck "waiting for root device" on all the sticks I tried.

Also, I had issues with a patchstick being bypassed completely by the appletv, but creating the patchstick with 512k batch size instead of 1M solved this; (bs=512k instead of bs=1M)
Hi Lumpsack

Thanks for the guide. I have noticed that you may have used the ATVPatchstick-3.0 during some testing.

8) Type dd-removable.exe if=atvpatch-3.0.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk2\DP(1)0-0+9 bs=1M --progress -

I have used the 3.0 patch stick instead of the 2.1 as you have suggested and have now gotten my ATV into a continious reboot sequence, im presuming it is because of ATVFiles. Does anyone have a quick fix for this, excluding doing a factory restore, i have tried removing some of the other plug ins, but i get a permissions denied.

Thanks all

T

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting XBMC working on Apple TV (using only windows)2